5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Plastic Trim Spot Issue

mkicki

Reaction score
I had my truck for about 9 months now, I have yet time to hand wash it due to living in a condo. For the past few months I have been going to an automatic wash which opened up brand new in May of 2020. Recently I noticed these spots on my front plastics (grill, bumper insert, hood components) but the two plastics surrounding the fog lights are untouched, perfect. I just talked to the car wash owner, says he is trying to get in touch with their chemical guys, which are Simoniz. Has anyone ever had this issue happen to them? there are also a few drops of this on my side mirror plastics. I haven't tried anything yet to clean it off, just soap water and it didn't budge. Very frustrating, not sure if it some acid that caused this. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 96

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Wow, I'm sure that's very frustrating. The chemicals used in car washes are very strong - that's how they clean since many are touchless or mostly touchless. For any vehicle that is ceramic coated, it is highly recommended that you avoid automatic car washes - it usually voids warranty. I you are able to resolve this. You might try a product like Mother's Back to Black gel - that might help you. There is a company called "The Last Coat" that just came out with a product for trim that contains a SiO2 - I bought it but haven't tried it yet.

mkicki

Reaction score
forgot about this pictures. Yes very frustrating. Wonder if there are any warranties against something like this? all the other plastics are fine, worth a shot at the dealership?

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 44

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wash my truck at work in a soft touch wash 2-3 times per week and haven’t noticed anything like that, something would have to be way off in the wash for that to happen.

In the 4 months I’ve owned my truck I noticed the exterior plastics have started to fade, one quick wipe with chemical guys VRP brought back the shine and made everything look like new, it also made the running boards dangerously slick so use caution there.

Do you notice any soap suds on the truck after the wash? If the soap isn’t rinsed correctly and is left to dry it could cause spots, but that normally wipes off with a damp towel.

mkicki

Reaction score
Haven't done any detail work to it yet. Usually when I wash with the monthly pass I have, which I go every other day, the dryers do a great job, almost dry. Very annoying at this point, will meet with the wash owner next few days, see if any products can actually remove this. The pain one will be the bottom bumper insert which isn't a straight piece. If you look around the grill, that area is heavily damaged, looks like its a plastic from the 80s.

jkm312

Reaction score
That looks like the liquid wax that can be applied during the wash cycles. Do you get the “deluxe” wash when you go through. Meguiars makes a viynl trim cleaner that I use to clean up my trim when I got their tech 2 wax in it. I’ve always been impressed with their products.

mkicki

Reaction score
Yeah I get the best wash on their roster which does include some wax as well, that can be it for sure. I just hope it can come off

McBroom

Reaction score
I detail and polish my truck myself its a very rare occasion for me to go to any type of car wash. I use nothing but Meguiars products. I'm obsessed with keeping my truck clean. For what I paid for my truck is more than some people paid for their house.
I take great pride in my ride.
OP i know how you feel and was no help to you with this post. I do recommend you try a Meguiars waterless wash then go over the Meguiars plastic trim protectant.

Black 20 Ram

zlman

Reaction score
Looks like the black plastic has been etched(acidic) chrome wording has a bronze tint, or is that just the photos?

STR

Reaction score
If you noticed at car washes there are typical cost levels, to include: basic, undercarriage clearning, hot wax coating, etc. Most people think more is better, which isn’t always true. It’s the wax in the soap that is causing the spots. I took my 2020 Rebel to a touchless car wash once, and all the matte black surfaces had some level of spots. Good news, I was able to remove them with Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (below). Mother’s Back to Black is also a good product, but both will take some time and effort. Lesson learned... don’t pay extra for the wax, or you’ll be paying extra for some type of spot removal product.
043EBA1F-C47F-4977-BA37-16DF5B8E5338.jpeg

mkicki

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback, will definitely need to get one of these products to go at it cause it looks like ****.

Users who are viewing this thread