5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Left Squeak - a testament to the RAM cab noise cancellation

JEDev

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2019 Big Horn about 4 weeks ago. In that time, I found out many things shady about my purchase. But that may be a thread for another day.

2 weeks ago, the check engine light came on. (Turns out there was an evap leak). I haven't driven the truck with the windows down until this point. So of course, I roll the windows down to check if I can hear anything immediately bad (knocking, squealing, etc). Nothing unusual. Until I hit a small bump. Sounds like the entire front left side of the truck has been sitting in a field for 30 years. I thought to myself, "this cant be new..." and roll up the window then hit the next bump I see, maybe a little harder than I should.

Nothing.

Cab was as quiet as could be.

Took the truck in to get the check engine light fixed, also mentioned the squeak. Dealership said they "tightened the suspension" to fix the noise.

Picked it up at 5pm (just got out of work, they close about the same time). About half way home I roll down the window. Squeak. Squeak.

Take the truck back the next day, obviously angry. Claim they can get it fixed in a couple days when they have an open appointment.

Get a call after dropping it off for the 2nd time. "We cant reproduce the sound you're complaining about. Therefore we cant do anything." I simply asked "did you roll down the window?". "No, its raining outside. It's probably just the weather causing anything you might hear."

Needless to say, I'm still trying to figure out what/where the squeak is coming from.

Has anybody else ran into this issue? Or am I just getting the run around from another shady dealership?

Grayman5752

Reaction score
FYI, active noise cancellation is only used during MDS operation. The cabs on our trucks are really that quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2019 Big Horn about 4 weeks ago. In that time, I found out many things shady about my purchase. But that may be a thread for another day.

2 weeks ago, the check engine light came on. (Turns out there was an evap leak). I haven't driven the truck with the windows down until this point. So of course, I roll the windows down to check if I can hear anything immediately bad (knocking, squealing, etc). Nothing unusual. Until I hit a small bump. Sounds like the entire front left side of the truck has been sitting in a field for 30 years. I thought to myself, "this cant be new..." and roll up the window then hit the next bump I see, maybe a little harder than I should.

Nothing.

Cab was as quiet as could be.

Took the truck in to get the check engine light fixed, also mentioned the squeak. Dealership said they "tightened the suspension" to fix the noise.

Picked it up at 5pm (just got out of work, they close about the same time). About half way home I roll down the window. Squeak. Squeak.

Take the truck back the next day, obviously angry. Claim they can get it fixed in a couple days when they have an open appointment.

Get a call after dropping it off for the 2nd time. "We cant reproduce the sound you're complaining about. Therefore we cant do anything." I simply asked "did you roll down the window?". "No, its raining outside. It's probably just the weather causing anything you might hear."

Needless to say, I'm still trying to figure out what/where the squeak is coming from.

Has anybody else ran into this issue? Or am I just getting the run around from another shady dealership?
A number of us have reported something similar. Here's my thread on the issue.

TLDR: Folks pointed me to anti-rattle clips on the the brake pads. I was skeptical, but confirmed my issue by applying a light lubricant and driving around. Happy to report, for me the issue has mostly resolved itself.... though I have no explanation as to why.

I think someone might have gone so far as sending info to RAM and there might even be a TSB at this point... but I didn't need to take it further. Hope this helps.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To confirm what @CaptainCJ35 wrote, go over a bump that you know will make a chirp and lightly, and I mean lightly apply the brakes. If there is no chirp, then it is the anti-rattle clip. What is happening is that your brake pad floats on top of the anti-rattle clip. When pressure is applied, the caliper presses on the pad, taking away any play it had, thus not scraping and making the chirping sound.

My Ram Dealer Service has lubed the clips, replaced my pads and even replaced my calipers and while every fix has helped, inadvertently to be honest, the squeaks come back. Applying some grease to the top of the anti-rattle clip where the lobe of the pad rests on it will quiet it down for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread