5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end rattle/clunk

Supercraig1

Reaction score
I've been having an ongoing issue with a clunking rattle in the front left section of my truck's suspension. I've had it into 1 dealer that replaced the swaybar and endlinks. This did not fix the problem.

I've had it into an independent shop that has said the lower front left ball joint is failing but they did not want to work with my extended warranty.

I brought it to a 3rd independent shop that said they didn't think it was the ball joint and said they lubed the slide pins on my front left brake caliper. This did not fix the problem.

The truck is only 3 years old (Rebel with 25k miles). It should be able to be fixed.

Ugh

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand it's still under warranty and you probably don't want to keep spending money to find the clunk but sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I chased down a clunk I had using chassis ears (link below). Mine ended up being a bad fox shock which nobody else could diagnose.

Steelman Wireless ChassisEAR Auto Diagnostic Tool Kit, Identify The Cause of Troubling Vehicle Noises, 4 Transmitters with 50-Foot Range (61082) https://a.co/d/2HvCitM

Supercraig1

Reaction score
That’s interesting. The weird thing is the shop that didn’t want to work with my warranty said it was for sure the lower ball joint. Problem with taking it into to my own hands is a lower control arm is listed at $700 and if I do it myself (which I could) the warranty won’t cover the parts cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been having an ongoing issue with a clunking rattle in the front left section of my truck's suspension. I've had it into 1 dealer that replaced the swaybar and endlinks. This did not fix the problem.

I've had it into an independent shop that has said the lower front left ball joint is failing but they did not want to work with my extended warranty.

I brought it to a 3rd independent shop that said they didn't think it was the ball joint and said they lubed the slide pins on my front left brake caliper. This did not fix the problem.

The truck is only 3 years old (Rebel with 25k miles). It should be able to be fixed.

Ugh
When you took it to the dealer, the mechanic may have seen something wrong with sway bar, and fixed the problem he found. If he fixed something making noise, he's not necessarily look for another noise. Warranty doesn't pay diagnostic time. If it was still making noise, you should have taken it right back. You need to tell them when it makes noise, not just that there is a noise. Does it make noise turning, braking, accelerating, just over small bumps, just over large bumps? If the second shop said ball joint, they should have shown you, then you could tell the dealer what they found.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s interesting. The weird thing is the shop that didn’t want to work with my warranty said it was for sure the lower ball joint. Problem with taking it into to my own hands is a lower control arm is listed at $700 and if I do it myself (which I could) the warranty won’t cover the parts cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mevotech makes superior LCA's and they are only $225. I have them on my truck and I've had zero issues with them. Good fit and finish.

Supercraig1

Reaction score
As I’m still digging to locate the noise I have checked all the body mount bolts and they seem torqued well. I also went back over the toque on the sway bar and end links and they seem good. I did see movement where the cv axle leaves the front differential. It doesn’t seem like a whole lot but I don’t know what’s normal.
I don’t see if I can post video.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I’m still digging to locate the noise I have checked all the body mount bolts and they seem torqued well. I also went back over the toque on the sway bar and end links and they seem good. I did see movement where the cv axle leaves the front differential. It doesn’t seem like a whole lot but I don’t know what’s normal.
I don’t see if I can post video.
A little bit of CV axle/differential movement is normal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread