5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end "loose"?

Bschucher

Reaction score
First, I apologize for any ignorance on this issue. I had a 2017 Express...stock. I bought a 2020 Rebel the other day. I have found at higher speeds the front end feels loose or "floating". This is my first truck with oversized or aggressive off road type tires on it. Is this a normal variant on such? I'm sure it's something I will get used to and eventually not notice but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you say oversized, do you mean stock or have you upgraded to "oversized" tires? Putting your truck details in your sig helps folks help you.

If you're not used to a 4x4 they can feel a little loose but I would also get your alignment checked. Don't assume a brand new vehicle has perfect alignment. Also check your tire pressure. Sometimes a little more air makes it feel more solid.

Bschucher

Reaction score
They are stock off road type.. I don't think they are really over sized but more looking for a reason the front end feels so loose at speeds over 50ish

smonska

Reaction score
My truck the alignment was off from the factory. Toe was off quite a bit, dealer realigned it for free at 4k miles after I complained, much better!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are stock off road type.. I don't think they are really over sized but more looking for a reason the front end feels so loose at speeds over 50ish
Have you checked the tire pressure? You can provoke that sensation with excessive tire pressures.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024413 miles.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck had alignment issues from the factory. Toe issues. Dealer checked it but said it was within tolerance. I made them adjust it and it’s been great. Straight as an arrow and the steering wheel is now perfect.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I've noticed my Rebel is drifts a lot while at highway speeds. This is with the tires that came on it. I will get dealer to check it out alignment as someone mentioned above. You definitely have to move steering wheel left to right continuously to keep it straight.

Bschucher

Reaction score
I did finally run across a thread related to this. Seems to be two issues. One is over inflation of tires from dealer and two is these tires need a bit of break in so I read. We will see. Just let air out and haven't driven yet.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I did finally run across a thread related to this. Seems to be two issues. One is over inflation of tires from dealer and two is these tires need a bit of break in so I read. We will see. Just let air out and haven't driven yet.
I’m at 15,300 miles and have been running 55-front, 45-rear as listed on the door

Users who are viewing this thread