5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end ‘clunk’ add me to the list

MrMojoRisin

Reaction score
6 week old 1500 limited developed a front end clunk not long after I drove away from the dealership. I searched all over and it seems a common theme was a loose sway bar. I found that cycling the air suspension would make it go away but only temporarily. I finally got into the dealership for them to look at and, drum roll please, they said it was a loose sway bar. I’m hoping the fix is permanent but why can’t this sort of thing be addressed in manufacturing? This is the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever purchased and the pre-delivery quality is some of the worst I’ve experienced

gwatt86

Reaction score
Is it only when you turn a certain direction at low speeds? I can’t seem to figure out mine. Is it the front or back that’s loose and which part is loose?

MrMojoRisin

Reaction score
Is it only when you turn a certain direction at low speeds? I can’t seem to figure out mine. Is it the front or back that’s loose and which part is loose?
My noise wasn’t triggered by turning and presented when driving slowly over bumps or uneven roads. I could also feel it through the floorboard/firewall when it would happen. Knock on wood, the noise has not returned after a couple of days since tightening.

darbgnik

Reaction score
I think the design of how the link connects to the sway bar is problematic. The stud from the end link connects to the sway bar at 90 degrees from the direction of travel. And this stud doesn't fit tightly into the sway bar.

So basically, the only thing keeping the stud from moving up and down in the sway bar is the tightness of the nut. Which has to be very tight indeed to prevent that much force from moving it...

See in the attached pic, the top being the new "improved" 2019 design and the bottom being the 2018 design. You can see why the 2019 has issues where the 2018s never had any issues. At least that's my reasoning.

Attachments

• 20210501_150649.jpg
    20210501_150649.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread