5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Door Speaker Maximum Mounting Depth - Will Infinity REF-9623ix Fit?

acbone710

Reaction score
What is the maximum mounting depth for the front door speakers in a 6 speaker base setup? Crutchfield only shows a single MTX 6x9 as a direct fit, but I am sure that there are plenty of others that will fit. 0

What is the deepest speaker that I can fit in there without running into issues with the windows? I have run Infinity's in my last couple vehicles and was looking at the reference series but I am assuming that the front 6x9's are going to be too deep.

I tried reading through the other upgrade threads but at this point it is getting hard to find any specific info in there.

acbone710

Reaction score
Agreed, and honestly we need a whole subforum for audio. Those threads are a disaster. Just having a separate thread for each setup (base, Alpine, HK) would be a good start.

After I posted this I did find this reply where someone installed the REF-9632ix in the front doors, so I may go that route. I searched for those speakers on Crutchfield and it said it wouldn't fit the front, but if you click on Does Not Fit, it will show you the dimensions that are off. According to them, the max mounting depth is 2.922 and those speakers are 3.061. Worst case scenario I can add some nylon washers and get it to fit.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
What is the maximum mounting depth for the front door speakers in a 6 speaker base setup? Crutchfield only shows a single MTX 6x9 as a direct fit, but I am sure that there are plenty of others that will fit. 0

What is the deepest speaker that I can fit in there without running into issues with the windows? I have run Infinity's in my last couple vehicles and was looking at the reference series but I am assuming that the front 6x9's are going to be too deep.

I tried reading through the other upgrade threads but at this point it is getting hard to find any specific info in there.
I don't think that that's the only fit. Did you only check 6x9s or also 6.5s?

RichInMN

Reaction score
The depth of the front door speaker locations is just over 3.25". Having said that, there is plenty of room in front for 1/2" of shim or adapter - maybe even 3/4" if it is a low xmax speaker going in.

I put in 8's with a bit of butching out on the hole and 1/2" adapters.

acbone710

Reaction score
I don't think that that's the only fit. Did you only check 6x9s or also 6.5s?
Oh, I completely agree that there should be others that fit, I was just pointing out how hard it is to figure out what fits when Crutchfield says that almost nothing fits. They do list a few 6.5's and a bunch of 5.25's, I just would rather fill the whole space if possible. There are plenty of posts where people have replaced the front's with 6x9's, but according to Crutchfield, nothing fits.

acbone710

Reaction score
The depth of the front door speaker locations is just over 3.25". Having said that, there is plenty of room in front for 1/2" of shim or adapter - maybe even 3/4" if it is a low xmax speaker going in.

I actually saw your post when I was searching around and noped out of there when I realized how insane your build was when I just wanted to replace speakers and be done with it. Heck of a build though, man. There is some really great info in there, I just assumed it wouldn't apply when I saw you were custom building stuff.

That build makes me miss my younger days when everything was custom and loud. Now that I am in my 30's with kids, I just want something a little nicer without spending a lot of time and money on it. Funny how priorities change. Congrats on an awesome build though man, I am jealous.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
Oh, I completely agree that there should be others that fit, I was just pointing out how hard it is to figure out what fits when Crutchfield says that almost nothing fits. They do list a few 6.5's and a bunch of 5.25's, I just would rather fill the whole space if possible. There are plenty of posts where people have replaced the front's with 6x9's, but according to Crutchfield, nothing fits.
Yeah there's still not a lot of good audio information on our trucks and what's here is pretty chaotoic. I just asked one of the moderators if he'd be cool with me temporarily moderating some of the audio stuff into a more organized, searchable format.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

Where did this writeup go? Would love to see it...

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread