5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front coil spring questions?

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have spent the last 3 weeks getting my 2020 1500 Larime Level 1, 47k miles - factory stock except for a few cosmetic mods. (The dealer did not have all the parts and then broke some and had to order more parts.)
Last Friday, I was finally able to get the front struts replaced (Driver and Passenger-leaking) to get the truck to pass the Virginia State Inspection.
I also needed new tires and a front-end alignment, after the front suspension work. Well, yesterday when I picked up the truck from the tire dealer (Firestone) tells me that the passenger front coil spring was not seated correctly. The bottom of the spring is not butted up against the stop on the strut, it is about 1 inch from the stop. The front-end work was done at my RAM dealer to get the warranty for the parts and work and keep it factory parts while covered under warranty.
I am not a mechanic nor do I have the tools, and the knowledge to fix/correct this situation.

Questions are below:
  • Is this safe to drive? - I drive 30 miles a day to work from my apt., and I work 3 hrs away, from my home, to my apt near where I work.
    • My gut tells me that if the head mechanic at Firestone tells me about the situation they were careful with their wording, it's bad.
  • I am going to insist the RAM dealer correct this immediately (no appointment, they will move to the front of the line at my insistence.)
    • I am also asking RAM to calibrate the speedometer to the new tire size - factory size was 275/55/R20 new tires 275/60/R20 as compensation for my time and aggregation as then I have to go back and get yet another alignment at the Firestone (I have a lifetime alignment contract) and have to wait again for yet another appointment.
    • My wife will be forced to navigate the repair mess as I have to leave today (Sunday) for my apt for the work week. (She will be without transportation aka forced to wait for work to be completed.)
What say you the knowledgeable folks, what would be the proper/recommended course of action? work

I had to wait until this morning to write this message to let some of my emotions out, relax, and be a bit more objective, but 3 weeks to get this work completed and I had to cancel my tire appointment 2x to complete the repairs/maintenance.

I look forward to the collective knowledge of my fellow owners/users. :)

BlueHemi1500

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have spent the last 3 weeks getting my 2020 1500 Larime Level 1, 47k miles - factory stock except for a few cosmetic mods. (The dealer did not have all the parts and then broke some and had to order more parts.)
Last Friday, I was finally able to get the front struts replaced (Driver and Passenger-leaking) to get the truck to pass the Virginia State Inspection.
I also needed new tires and a front-end alignment, after the front suspension work. Well, yesterday when I picked up the truck from the tire dealer (Firestone) tells me that the passenger front coil spring was not seated correctly. The bottom of the spring is not butted up against the stop on the strut, it is about 1 inch from the stop. The front-end work was done at my RAM dealer to get the warranty for the parts and work and keep it factory parts while covered under warranty.
I am not a mechanic nor do I have the tools, and the knowledge to fix/correct this situation.

Questions are below:
  • Is this safe to drive? - I drive 30 miles a day to work from my apt., and I work 3 hrs away, from my home, to my apt near where I work.
    • My gut tells me that if the head mechanic at Firestone tells me about the situation they were careful with their wording, it's bad.
  • I am going to insist the RAM dealer correct this immediately (no appointment, they will move to the front of the line at my insistence.)
    • I am also asking RAM to calibrate the speedometer to the new tire size - factory size was 275/55/R20 new tires 275/60/R20 as compensation for my time and aggregation as then I have to go back and get yet another alignment at the Firestone (I have a lifetime alignment contract) and have to wait again for yet another appointment.
    • My wife will be forced to navigate the repair mess as I have to leave today (Sunday) for my apt for the work week. (She will be without transportation aka forced to wait for work to be completed.)
What say you the knowledgeable folks, what would be the proper/recommended course of action? work

I had to wait until this morning to write this message to let some of my emotions out, relax, and be a bit more objective, but 3 weeks to get this work completed and I had to cancel my tire appointment 2x to complete the repairs/maintenance.

I look forward to the collective knowledge of my fellow owners/users. :)

BlueHemi1500
Why did the dealer not do the alignment when they replaced the parts? That should be part of the process anytime work is done on the suspension.

If you think they will just let you drive up and get in right away, at your insistence, might be overly optimistic. They should absolutely fix the problem, but I definitely wouldn't make a scene over it. Especially if you want them to care about doing the work

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not being clocked properly is not the end of the world. Take a deep breathe!

It MIGHT have passenger side sit slightly higher/lower, but doubt that 1" will make that much of a difference worth noticing. Could always take spring compressors and compress the coil after lifting and see if it's possible to clock properly, then take back for alignment.

Honestly if it's driving good and no noticeable height difference I wouldn't mess with it.

Users who are viewing this thread