5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front & back outlets not enough juice

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 110V, 300W Key cutting machine plugged into the rear outlet in my Ram. works just fine.
It should handle 20W like a piece of cake.

Dodgehemi0

Reaction score
I have a 110V, 300W Key cutting machine plugged into the rear outlet in my Ram. works just fine.
It should handle 20W like a piece of cake.

So it went to the dealer I told them about it however I did not pick the truck up my wife did and she got no paperwork from them. I’m going to see on my next long trip it it works better now. I’ll let you guys know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Information shows as follows:

POWER 400W
VOLTAGE 120V RMS
AMPS 5A RMS (that is TOTAL, not per each plug .. a lot of new items take 2.5A+ to charge - like a Raspberry Pi I wanted to use to capture video from the Pano Roof on the highway running 55-65mph)
FREQUENCY 60hz

divided between 3 outlets (if you have the rear) or 2 (if you don't).

gregd2

Reaction score
I am also having a similar issue with my inverter. I purchased a demo 2019 Ram Laramie longhorn with the standard features a few months ago with 2,600 miles. I noticed right away my inverter was only putting out 90- 95 volts. I understand some folks would say that's close enough but using ohms law 90V adds an extra amp at 400w. I took it to the dealer and they acknowledge that it should be putting out more. After two more inverters and a module I was advised that...and I quote "Replace power inverter per star case#101564137 Per previous RO. Power inverter still show 98V from AC Power outlet. Contact star about the concern. replace and program BCM per star. No changes from power outlet. Test 2 stock units 2019 ram 1500 lornhorns. Verify both vehicle has the same voltage coming out from both AC power outlets at the center consol. Normal operation of characteristic of the vehicle for this model."

Really? We can't figure out the problem and the other trucks seem to have the same problem so must just be normal!! I've also had the retracting mirrors replaced twice because they would not stop going in and out and also the rear glass leaked. The brakes also squeaked but service manager said that was normal because all the trucks are made up north and aren't use to Texas heat and humidity.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll have to test mine (Laramie) since I've never even plugged anything into them after getting the vehicle.

R

Rob5589

The inverter is weak. My daughter tried to charge her laptop last week during a road trip. The charger shows 2.25A 40v @ 50-60hz and it wouldn't charge. Nothing else plugged in.

DCinHSV

Reaction score
Has anyone located the factory inverter? Does it have proprietary wire connections??? If not, I may just replace the factory version with a higher grade, assuming I can hook it up correctly. For my job I'd like to run 180W battery charger which in theory should work . . . .but doesn't as of now.

cory1223oh

Reaction score
The outlets spills have no issue charging iPads so definitely get that checked out. However, it’s probably worth investing in a couple of USB-C to Lightning cords. This should likely charge at least as fast as the 12w iPad blocks from Apple in your house.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a Laramie everything but air suspension in it. I have 2 3 prong plugs one up front and one on the back center console. I took a 1k mike trip and the plugs don’t have enough juice to charge iPads? I’m using the 20w wall chargers for the iPads to. My ford I had was able to charge both of them just fine. Am I missing something in the 2019 Rams? They say 115v on the plug covers in the truck. Anyone have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It should work. My wife and son charge their laptops all the time in my truck using the front and rear outlets with no issue. I am a big believer in using proprietary cables so maybe that’s the issue.

tpetty

Reaction score
The outlets definitely wouldn't run the shop vac I tried. Don't know how many volts/amps that thing needs.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Information shows as follows:

POWER 400W
VOLTAGE 120V RMS
AMPS 5A RMS (that is TOTAL, not per each plug .. a lot of new items take 2.5A+ to charge - like a Raspberry Pi I wanted to use to capture video from the Pano Roof on the highway running 55-65mph)
FREQUENCY 60hz

divided between 3 outlets (if you have the rear) or 2 (if you don't).

The 2.5A drew is at the output voltage(I'm guessing 12V? 24V?) at 12V that's only 30W, at 24V it's 60W. there is no way a raspberry pi uses more then 5W. which means no more than 400ma. this is nothing compared to the 120V 3.33A max output of your trucks inverter.
And the "RMS" is for the power figure, not voltage.
400W it a lot of power for anything that is not mechanical(Shop vac, Hair dryer, air compressor etc etc)
Don't worry, you can plug in a couple raspberry pi.

tpetty

Reaction score
Yeah, I found out first hand that a shop vac won't work....

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2.5A drew is at the output voltage(I'm guessing 12V? 24V?) at 12V that's only 30W, at 24V it's 60W. there is no way a raspberry pi uses more then 5W. which means no more than 400ma. this is nothing compared to the 120V 3.33A max output of your trucks inverter.
And the "RMS" is for the power figure, not voltage.
400W it a lot of power for anything that is not mechanical(Shop vac, Hair dryer, air compressor etc etc)
Don't worry, you can plug in a couple raspberry pi.

Yeah, agreed!

Yeah, I found out first hand that a shop vac won't work....

I never tried .. kinda weird though :( good thing I still have my aftermarket one from the 2500 silverado I can use if needed :)

Jpduffy2882

Reaction score
Has anyone determined if the Ram 1500 inverters are pure sine wave or modified sine wave? And if they're modified sine wave, I'd love to replace it with a pure sine wave inverter. I've already ruined one of my battery chargers for my electric e-bike with what I think is a modified sine wave inverter in the Ram 1500.

e55amg2

Reaction score
Mine seems to not like Makita chargers. It will cycle on and off every 20 seconds or so...

Users who are viewing this thread