5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

front axle is stripping

41magmag41

Reaction score
Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem come up. I took my 2019 big horn quad cab, 4x4, 5,7,hemi, 3.92, in for a routine oil and filter change, tire rotation. The truck just rolled over 70000 miles. Has been maintained at the selling dealer for all service. No problems what so ever for the almost 3 years I've had her. Today the service writer comes out and hands me an estimate for $4099.00, it seems the right front axle shaft and differential are stripping and it needs a new differential and axle shaft. A little tough to take on my seasonal layoff.

Has anyone else had this crop up??

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'd wonder if it isn't some newbie lube tech who is unaware of the front axle disconnect? He spins the wheel while rotating and nothing happens to the other side or the driveshaft. Therefore, stripped.

Go drive the thing and put it in 4WD Hi. Do some figure 8s in an empty parking lot. That'll tell you whether things are working.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Reaction score
Stripping? I think you would have heard metal splines being "stripped"

41magmag41

Reaction score
So i had a call into the service manager who called me back and he ended up talking to the tech [supposedly 19 yrs working on rams] who serviced my truck. Tech said there was rust [ as if there is no rust on these monsters] at the joint of the right half axle and the differential on the front driveline. He said in his experience that it meant the gears and spline were starting to strip. There was also a little play at the joint, again all these joints have a little play. I have a case number from ram cares and will see how it goes.

I talked with a second source, top rated after market driveline and suspension shop, to get a second opinion. They said there is no way to determine if the gears are "starting" to strip unless you drop the differential and open it up, If they are stripped the axle would spin in the housing when the truck is on a lift. It didnt do that.

I put the truck in 4x4 and tried to turn a corner and got the usual bucking that you get when driving on dry payment so its still locking into 4x4.

open to any suggetions

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like the dealer is full of POOP. How often do you use 4wd? But even at 70k, I can't see them being stripped if you were to use it for all 70k miles..

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I would recommend to avoid the dealership after your powertrain warranty is gone, take it to a well reviewed indy shop in your area for another opinion.

If the issue is as described, I'm sure it will still be cheaper than the dealership, but it may not be as severe. Dealerships are usually setup to replace instead of repair powertrain issues.

Bob.

Reaction score
Your dealer is full of it. Ignore his attempt to make a job on your behalf.
When it's broken, you will know.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately the tech may be right, it's not stripped yet. I have had the pleasure of replacing a few front diffs during to the passenger side output shaft being stripped. If I could repair/rebuild it I would. Stellantis doesn't offer the RF output shaft for repair. You can replace the LF output shaft. But you can't tell unless it's taken apart.

Bob.

Reaction score
I feel like the dealer is full of POOP. How often do you use 4wd? But even at 70k, I can't see them being stripped if you were to use it for all 70k miles..
Only way I feel they are worn out if he was dragging trees and pulling roots for 70,000 miles. If a part time shaft is stripped under light usage there is something very wrong with Ram trucks,. Of course I don't know how 41mag uses his pickup so I'm just thinking out loud.

41magmag41

Reaction score
My girl spends most of her life interstate running, only about 5000 in town. Only off road 4 or 5 times on a well packed dirt road. There is no mechanical reason for this to be happening.

Got a call from the owner of the dealership and even he feels the observation and repair quote seemed off. Will see what happens.

41magmag41

Reaction score
just an update. it appears ramcares is going to foot all but $300 of the $4100 to replace the front diff and pasenger half shaft, got the call this morning and utterly stunned. figured with 70000 miles I was s**t out of luck. waiting now on a call from the dealer for an appointment and that the parts are available.

Reactions: c3k

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just an update. it appears ramcares is going to foot all but $300 of the $4100 to replace the front diff and pasenger half shaft, got the call this morning and utterly stunned. figured with 70000 miles I was s**t out of luck. waiting now on a call from the dealer for an appointment and that the parts are available.
Your dealer agreed to cover the "goodwill" repair. Ramcares can only make a suggestion to the dealer. But that is all good, your dealer should have stepped up and made that call.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Hell for that money, and you not knowing there was even an issue. Save up and find a used diff and have a local garage install it much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tombato

Reaction score
Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem come up. I took my 2019 big horn quad cab, 4x4, 5,7,hemi, 3.92, in for a routine oil and filter change, tire rotation. The truck just rolled over 70000 miles. Has been maintained at the selling dealer for all service. No problems what so ever for the almost 3 years I've had her. Today the service writer comes out and hands me an estimate for $4099.00, it seems the right front axle shaft and differential are stripping and it needs a new differential and axle shaft. A little tough to take on my seasonal layoff.

Has anyone else had this crop up??
I'm dealing with this right now. 95,000 MI and vibration noises and a little grinding along with a rattle going over small bumps. when it had 80,000 miles the dealership told me that it needed two front axles and a differential for 3,200 and I didn't believe them it has gotten worse and now I need to do them. fortunately it's a company vehicle but I'm going to get yelled at probably because I also need spark plugs to go with an oil change and the rattle was from worn stabilizer links. they quoted me 3,400 to do the two axles and front differential. love this truck but it's hard on the wallet especially nowadays with the price of fuel. would be nice if ram cares could help out with this as well.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i had a call into the service manager who called me back and he ended up talking to the tech [supposedly 19 yrs working on rams] who serviced my truck. Tech said there was rust [ as if there is no rust on these monsters] at the joint of the right half axle and the differential on the front driveline. He said in his experience that it meant the gears and spline were starting to strip. There was also a little play at the joint, again all these joints have a little play. I have a case number from ram cares and will see how it goes.

I talked with a second source, top rated after market driveline and suspension shop, to get a second opinion. They said there is no way to determine if the gears are "starting" to strip unless you drop the differential and open it up, If they are stripped the axle would spin in the housing when the truck is on a lift. It didnt do that.

I put the truck in 4x4 and tried to turn a corner and got the usual bucking that you get when driving on dry payment so its still locking into 4x4.

open to any suggetions
What kind of experience does a 19 year old have? No offense to 19 year olds working on trucks, but come on....

Users who are viewing this thread