5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From Lariat to Laramie

J48

Reaction score
I just picked up my first Ram and am loving it! I needed the front bench, but also wanted leather, panoramic sunroof and multifunction tailgate. The 12" monsterous head unit was a nice addition as well. Unfortunately all this couldn't be had with the diesel or sport/night appearance packages either, but I'm super happy with the truck nonetheless. Wife laughs at my "truck-fever".

Thanks for the add, and gotta say I'm learning a lot quick from everyones posts.

- J

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your new Ram, let the mods begin!

Reactions: J48

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up my first Ram and am loving it! I needed the front bench, but also wanted leather, panoramic sunroof and multifunction tailgate. The 12" monsterous head unit was a nice addition as well. Unfortunately all this couldn't be had with the diesel or sport/night appearance packages either, but I'm super happy with the truck nonetheless. Wife laughs at my "truck-fever".

Thanks for the add, and gotta say I'm learning a lot quick from everyones posts.

- J
I came from a Silverado and loved my ram at first. I have rattles, vibrations, balance problems, breaks replace, rack and pinion replaced. Now I need to go back as I’m told they couldn’t get the bolts back in right. I was told the vibration was fixed, I felt it before I was even out of the parking lot. Tires have been balanced 5 times, truck has had a alignment. It doesn’t even have 4000 miles only been on gravel once, never hit anything! Hope your have better luck then I’ve had with my $63,000 POS!

• Wow

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came from a Silverado and loved my ram at first. I have rattles, vibrations, balance problems, breaks replace, rack and pinion replaced. Now I need to go back as I’m told they couldn’t get the bolts back in right. I was told the vibration was fixed, I felt it before I was even out of the parking lot. Tires have been balanced 5 times, truck has had a alignment. It doesn’t even have 4000 miles only been on gravel once, never hit anything! Hope your have better luck then I’ve had with my $63,000 POS!
Oh I forgot the tires are worn on the outsides, they tell me that’s normal wear, not!

J48

Reaction score
Oh I forgot the tires are worn on the outsides, they tell me that’s normal wear, not!

Have others had this much trouble with theirs? (I've only scratched the surface of the forums so far). Regardless, I'll keep an eye out for these issues, and wish you luck on getting yours resolved. Thanks for the heads up.

Bhew123

Reaction score
I have owned mine for a year this month and have put 7,500 miles on it and have not had a single issue. Our trucks are equipped similarly but I do not have have mft or the bench seat.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have others had this much trouble with theirs? (I've only scratched the surface of the forums so far). Regardless, I'll keep an eye out for these issues, and wish you luck on getting yours resolved. Thanks for the heads up.
You're going to get far more complainers than happy people on a forum. People that are satisfied with their vehicle rarely ever go online to leave a review, but people with issues go online searching for solutions. Some people get 100k problem free miles, and others are in the shop after a month. Enjoy your truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

- J
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

VdMer

Reaction score
21k Miles. Only "problem" I've had was brake squeal/drone when backing up. Mostly on damp mornings. Not as loud as my neighbors Acura MDX though. They replaced them under warranty. Came from a Lariat and I had traded it in with 25k and literally 7 different major problems. Doesn't mean I hate Ford or wouldn't consider another F150, the car itself was just poorly built. Aesthetics aside I think the Ram shouldn't rattle your confidence anymore than any vehicle purchase. I have not seen a mass production problem either, quite the oppositve...multiple accolades. Look for what you want and you'll find it...good, bad or indifferent.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can happily report that the build quality on mine (see signature) is literally flawless. Amazingly good truck.

Muskiez

Reaction score
I also bought my first Ram Laramie. I too came out of a Lariat. Which model of Lariat did you and and which engine. What are your initial thoughts between the 2? I came out of a 2016 Lariat sport with the 501a package and 2.7 engine. There are a few things I liked better on the Ford, but overall I am very happy with the Ram. I’ve got about 2800 miles on it is it so far

J48

Reaction score
I also bought my first Ram Laramie. I too came out of a Lariat. Which model of Lariat did you and and which engine. What are your initial thoughts between the 2? I came out of a 2016 Lariat sport with the 501a package and 2.7 engine. There are a few things I liked better on the Ford, but overall I am very happy with the Ram. I’ve got about 2800 miles on it is it so far

LOL. It's not even a comparison. Mine was a 2005 Lariat SuperCrew with the 5.4L V8. I had the same requirements back then for the front bench w/ leather seats, and the Lariat was the only trim level that allowed you to have both. I loved the truck and had zero maintenance complaints. To be honest, I was shopping around for another Lariat until I gave Dodge a chance. I figured it was winning awards for a reason, right? After doing a lot of research and test drives, I was sold. Full disclosure, I am NOT a brand loyalist. If you build a great product, I'll give it a chance.

IMG_0805.JPG

Muskiez

Reaction score
LOL. It's not even a comparison. Mine was a 2005 Lariat SuperCrew with the 5.4L V8. I had the same requirements back then for the front bench w/ leather seats, and the Lariat was the only trim level that allowed you to have both. I loved the truck and had zero maintenance complaints. To be honest, I was shopping around for another Lariat until I gave Dodge a chance. I figured it was winning awards for a reason, right? After doing a lot of research and test drives, I was sold. Full disclosure, I am NOT a brand loyalist. If you build a great product, I'll give it a chance.

View attachment 57396
Haha yeah there isn’t much to compare between those 2! I agree, I’m not brand loyal either. My last 3 were fords. Very happy with the new Ram! Nice looking truck you have!

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
2015 Lariat to Bighorn here. It had all the bells and whistles, except the pano roof. Do I sometimes miss it, yes I sometime miss my power running boards and my cooled leather seats. The interior is really what sold me on making the switch. I must admit, once the shock and awe of this new truck wore off, I started easily finding things to complain about but not acknowledging all the good things. So yes, at first I used this forum to see how many other people were complaining of the stuff I was noticing. But now I use it to feed my modding addiction, and although my pocket book and my bookkeeper (wife) wonder why I am spending money to add things to a brand new truck, I am much happier with the new perspective. Realizing that every make has certain issues helps to put the little quarks about this new generation Ram into perspective. Welcome to the Ram family and have fun with your truck.

Attachments

• 20191231_123234.jpg
    20191231_123234.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200329_190029_compress89.jpg
    20200329_190029_compress89.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 11

MoparGuy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you’re having so many issues with your Ram.
Sorry you’re having so many issues with your Ram. That’s a lot of issues and with only 4000 miles, certainly not normal by any means. If possible, try another dealerships service department for a second opinion. I only put 13,000 miles in the two years I had my 17 Ram and I’ve had my 19 North Edition for 9 months and put 4000 miles and 0 issues with either Truck.

MoparGuy

Reaction score
2015 Lariat to Bighorn here. It had all the bells and whistles, except the pano roof. Do I sometimes miss it, yes I sometime miss my power running boards and my cooled leather seats. The interior is really what sold me on making the switch. I must admit, once the shock and awe of this new truck wore off, I started easily finding things to complain about but not acknowledging all the good things. So yes, at first I used this forum to see how many other people were complaining of the stuff I was noticing. But now I use it to feed my modding addiction, and although my pocket book and my bookkeeper (wife) wonder why I am spending money to add things to a brand new truck, I am much happier with the new perspective. Realizing that every make has certain issues helps to put the little quarks about this new generation Ram into perspective. Welcome to the Ram family and have fun with your truck.
Love the bookkeeper/wife comment! I sent my wife an email with pricing on all the mods I want to do to my 19 with 4000 miles just so she has a heads up on to expect. As much as I’d love to, I certainly cannot do it all at once so my very first mod are these tires that I’m waiting to install. I’m doing research on what lift/leveling kit I want to go with to hopefully have no rubbing issues.
1591052901578.jpeg
1591053004110.jpeg

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you’re having so many issues with your Ram.

Sorry you’re having so many issues with your Ram. That’s a lot of issues and with only 4000 miles, certainly not normal by any means. If possible, try another dealerships service department for a second opinion. I only put 13,000 miles in the two years I had my 17 Ram and I’ve had my 19 North Edition for 9 months and put 4000 miles and 0 issues with either Truck.
Different dealer, found the rack and pinion was bad, after 3 trips and a wasted day they got that fixed. However they tell me the vibration is gone, it’s better, but not gone, refused to rebalance after driving it with bad rack. They tell me nothing more they can do, to call star!

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Love the bookkeeper/wife comment! I sent my wife an email with pricing on all the mods I want to do to my 19 with 4000 miles just so she has a heads up on to expect. As much as I’d love to, I certainly cannot do it all at once so my very first mod are these tires that I’m waiting to install. I’m doing research on what lift/leveling kit I want to go with to hopefully have no rubbing issues.
View attachment 57818
View attachment 57819
You must have been reading my other posts. I have commented many times that my favorite tire is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. That is a great first step. Those tires were on the Lariat I traded in. Brand new practically, but the dealer wanted them and gave me more than my trade value to keep them on there. He said the Duellers would not look good on the F-150. I will likely get another set closer to snow season.

Attachments

• 20191231_123234.jpg
    20191231_123234.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 12

MoparGuy

Reaction score
You must have been reading my other posts. I have commented many times that my favorite tire is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. That is a great first step. Those tires were on the Lariat I traded in. Brand new practically, but the dealer wanted them and gave me more than my trade value to keep them on there. He said the Duellers would not look good on the F-150. I will likely get another set closer to snow season.
Yes, I had read some of your other post about tires. My stock tires are Falken 275/55/R20s and they are great tires, just not big enough! My brother put a set of 285/75/R18s on his 17 Rebel. I’m just all over the place on what lift/leveling kit to go with to avoid rubbing issues. I’m halfway through a 39 page post that was started almost two years ago on this forum on the Mopar 2” lift vs leveling. There is some great information on that topic.

Users who are viewing this thread