5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezing Tonneau Cover

Sportznut

Reaction score
My Undercover Flex trifold tonneau cover won't open when we get ice/snow. Tailgate gets stuck to the cover.

Do any of you have any tricks to preventing that from happening? Or opening the tailgate once it does happen? I've tried my remote tailgate feature and of course pulling on the tailgate handle.

I don't want to leave the tailgate down or keep the cover open.

I did try sticking a small folded towel between the tailgate and the cover, moderate success but also leaves the bed unsecure.

I also tried doing a search on this site but no luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

23RAM

Reaction score
My Undercover Flex trifold tonneau cover won't open when we get ice/snow. Tailgate gets stuck to the cover.
Sorry I can't help with your cover specifically, but can say that's partly why I went with a hard folding cover - the rubber seal between the tailgate and cover doesn't really "stick" to ice so no issues opening even with freezing rain.

Perhaps you can try a shot of silicone spray along the edge of the cover to help make it less sticky?

n8zcc

Reaction score
I've got the factory trifold, it doesn't get welded to the tailgate by the ice. I had an after-market trifold on my 2013, it was so well welded by the ice I couldn't open the tailgate until the ice started to melt.

I don't suppose you want to fork over the bucks for the Mopar trifold but it does solve the issue.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I have a roll up, it has a rubber weather strip where it meets the tailgate. I just run my plastic scraper blade along the rubber and everything opens fine.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can try applying some Vaseline to the top of the tailgate, should keep it from sticking.

Quint

Reaction score
Interesting that it is freezing and sticking. I wonder what it is about the design that is causing that. I live in Minnesota which obviously gets lots of snow and occasional ice. I've got a dealer-added Access roll-up tonneau that has never frozen on me. Maybe that's because mine isn't flush with the bed rails but raised about an inch higher. At the tailgate it has a rubber seal, which it looks like you've got too. Maybe it's the type of rubber unless it's not the seal that is freezing but the edge of the tonneau.

Vaseline or deicer could work as mentioned above. Piggybacking on your towel idea, if you had a strong piece of something pliable like canvas you could put a strip in there. When you go to open it, you can grab the canvas and yank up on it a little to break the ice seal. You shouldn't be having an ice problem there though.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting that it is freezing and sticking. I wonder what it is about the design that is causing that. I live in Minnesota which obviously gets lots of snow and occasional ice. I've got a dealer-added Access roll-up tonneau that has never frozen on me. Maybe that's because mine isn't flush with the bed rails but raised about an inch higher. At the tailgate it has a rubber seal, which it looks like you've got too. Maybe it's the type of rubber unless it's not the seal that is freezing but the edge of the tonneau.
My MX4 would freeze up in MA. Anything can get covered in ice and freeze.

Users who are viewing this thread