5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame Rust Treatment Recommendations?

MariRam

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 Laramie. Want to protect it from rust and salt up here in New England. What treatments do you recommend to keep rust off the frame? Can you do an adequate job DIY or is this best left to a professionals?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Following, same.

Related threads, reviewing now...

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Following, same.

2nd thread doesn’t support undercoating on our trucks (some say it makes things worse) so just rinse the underside periodically. Thread mostly debates the merits of ceramic paint treatments - opinions vary but many use and like them.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Following, same.

First thread supports oil based (not rubber based) undercoating periodically, though some still say washing is enough/preferred.

My plan therefore is to install my rear wheel well liners, rinse the underside periodically, and call it good.

Lize

Reaction score
Thanks for those links, I too wonder about this. In the UK its a sworn thing to have done to Japanese imports (I believe they don't salt roads there). My F150 which was just over 2 years old when I sold it and had visible surface rust on pretty much all the underside and I wondered about the longevity and how you all get along. I suppose it depends on how long you plan to keep it.

alangsam

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 Laramie. Want to protect it from rust and salt up here in New England. What treatments do you recommend to keep rust off the frame? Can you do an adequate job DIY or is this best left to a professionals?

We life at the beach with all of the salt air. Run the truck through the carwash weekly. The ones that have underbody sprayers. That will help a lot

You can also do Krown once a year for 149 for a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadaway35

Reaction score
I second the fluid film. I bought a do-it-yourself kit on Amazon with all the hoses and everything to get up in the panels.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
Fluid Film...Inside door panels, rockers and wheel wells.

Fidomac

Reaction score
I think rubber type treatments may make rust worse by allowing salt and water to get under them

Users who are viewing this thread