5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame Replacement

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you bought the truck back? How much?
I think parting it out is your best option. Plenty of good valuable parts left yet to offset the cost of a new one. Take the insurance money and run.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This..

As much as I like to see guys wrench and fix their own stuff.. I have a strong feeling OP is going to be over his head. I get that the truck was spec’d out how you wanted but your thinking with heart not your brain. Its a mass produced truck and can be replaced… maybe not 100% exact but your also screwing yourself from getting rid of it in the future for anything other then pennies with a salvaged or rebuilt title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Also any money he got in he should of gotten back as long as he has receipts.
When I totaled my 06 Mustang it was $9,500 when I bought it used but I got $15,100 because I had receipt for all the work I put into it like wheels and stuff.

If I lost my 1 year old truck today I would be mad, but I could build a new one back up. I "only" have around 6-8k into it right now.
Would I like it? No.
Would I get over it? Yes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That looks needed to me lol.
OP obviously survived with no major injuries if he is trying to take on the work needed to get that thing back to good condition. I'd say they weren't needed.

6of36

Reaction score
When I totaled mine, I'm sorry I didn't buy mine from the insurance company. Just to part out. That is not worth fixing. There are many unforeseen things that need to be replaced. Are you aware that the seat belts have to be replaced after a crash? Those air bags should have deployed. there is something wrong with the system. More than likely the body is tweaked. It has been totaled, so it will have to be state inspected, before it will be deemed roadworthy. After that, the resale will be 40% less, due to a totaled title.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Future suspension related and electronic issues seem real fun until your having to constantly chase/fix em. Its more then just swapping your existing body onto a new frame. Not to mention what’s damaged up front that isn’t obvious at first glance. I really hope you got a nice payout after the loan was paid off to justify the potential headache your getting yourself into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jako

Reaction score
The body shop I go to does not like dealing with high strength steel.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this vehicle has not even been torn down yet!!!! hidden damage will be your nightmare, every little thing that the appraiser couldn't see, or didn't write...might need a full wiring harness, have fun with that. Boron steel will become a thing of hate. in your world...(seriously, just get rid of that thing as fast as you can, there is NO upside.)

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked today, was checking to see what kinda prices the Hurricane were pulling and it was 52k before any options- 4x4 Crew w/ 6' box
yea getting the same options you had would bring cost up, being flexible with some options you will probably be able to find a great deal- good luck on your decision

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
A new one might be a little more but you could enjoy driving it now rather than working on it in a garage for the next 8 to 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread