5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame Replacement

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Hey, all!
How difficult is a frame swap, if you do it yourself? Would I need special tools and/or equipment?
Background info: I wrecked my 21 Big Horn last year, Sept or Oct. Had full coverage, but I didn't much care or agree with insurance summary. Adjuster told me damages where higher than what his written report said and that was without frame and labor. When I asked for written report, I saw that a replacement frame and labor were already included and the estimate was a bit lower (22-24k vs 25-29k). Coparts was calling very aggressively after adjuster's assessment, which made me fairly suspicious.
Damage is to the front, bumper, hood, radiator, fenders, passenger door, windshield. Engine still ran as smooth as prior. No airbags deployed. Front frame horns are terribly out of place.

Attachments

• 20220923_163120.jpg
    20220923_163120.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220923_164835.jpg
    20220923_164835.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220923_164841.jpg
    20220923_164841.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 92

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hey, all!
How difficult is a frame swap, if you do it yourself? Would I need special tools and/or equipment?
Background info: I wrecked my 21 Big Horn last year, Sept or Oct. Had full coverage, but I didn't much care or agree with insurance summary. Adjuster told me damages where higher than what his written report said and that was without frame and labor. When I asked for written report, I saw that a replacement frame and labor were already included and the estimate was a bit lower (22-24k vs 25-29k). Coparts was calling very aggressively after adjuster's assessment, which made me fairly suspicious.
Damage is to the front, bumper, hood, radiator, fenders, passenger door, windshield. Engine still ran as smooth as prior. No airbags deployed. Front frame horns are terribly out of place.
if places can extend a vehicle to make it longer why cant places fix a frame?

this place did it to a ford 150

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Well, insurance did declare it a total loss. I kept it. A new frame is less than 3500, body panels- fender and hood- bumper bolt on, I could do that.
I didn't have a truck with issues- leaking rear window or sunroof, eTorque battery, screen problems or any of the other things people were having problems with. Truck was delivered just a bit before the chip shortage and an equivalent truck is now a bit more than I wanna pay.
If I swap the frame myself (maybe with some help), not rushing or racing against a clock or ticket, why wouldn't it be like having a new truck?

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
if places can extend a vehicle to make it longer why cant places fix a frame?

this place did it to a ford 150
Thank you! I believe adjuster said something along the lines of due to the high strength steel, they (Ram) don't allow heat applied to frame for bending/repairs.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, insurance did declare it a total loss. I kept it. A new frame is less than 3500, body panels- fender and hood- bumper bolt on, I could do that.
I didn't have a truck with issues- leaking rear window or sunroof, eTorque battery, screen problems or any of the other things people were having problems with. Truck was delivered just a bit before the chip shortage and an equivalent truck is now a bit more than I wanna pay.
If I swap the frame myself (maybe with some help), not rushing or racing against a clock or ticket, why wouldn't it be like having a new truck?
3500 for the frame and couple thousand for a two post lift... I would do it, as long as the cab is not tweaked!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And whatever else that might be bent/tweaked that can’t just be swapped over. I really hope you bought it back for pretty cheap and got a nice check in return. Just be ready for surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So if you took delivery just before the downfall of society, as I did with my '21, what is the insurance company paying out now for a total loss? I got mine for quite a bit below MSRP. I would imagine you did also. Are you coming out to a profit?

That is a lot of work you are looking at. Way more than bolting parts to a frame.

By the way, if you didn't have a window leak or air whistling at the doors before, you will now!

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how long ago did you check new prices because they starting to come down considerably

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
3500 for the frame and couple thousand for a two post lift... I would do it, as long as the cab is not tweaked!
That's really what I was thinking, I need a garage or pole barn with a two post lift, which I don't have.
And whatever else that might be bent/tweaked that can’t just be swapped over. I really hope you bought it back for pretty cheap and got a nice check in return. Just be ready for surprises.

So if you took delivery just before the downfall of society, as I did with my '21, what is the insurance company paying out now for a total loss? I got mine for quite a bit below MSRP. I would imagine you did also. Are you coming out to a profit?

That is a lot of work you are looking at. Way more than bolting parts to a frame.

By the way, if you didn't have a window leak or air whistling at the doors before, you will now!
I didn't turn it over or agree to their settlement offer, but they went ahead and paid the truck off. 42k, I believe, maybe minus my 1k deductible. Truck was paid down to 29k. They claimed I was to get 10k back, but that wasn't enough to buy my truck back. I had planned on continuing making payments, but that balance was wiped.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
how long ago did you check new prices because they starting to come down considerably
I checked today, was checking to see what kinda prices the Hurricane were pulling and it was 52k before any options- 4x4 Crew w/ 6' box

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
That truck will never be the same.
You shouldn't of kept it and just let it get junked.

Hope you never plan on selling it as telling someone the truck was totaled with frame damage is going to make your re-sale value non-existent.
Never planned on selling or trading. I optioned it the way I wanted, staying on top of maintenance, I would have gave it to my son or kept it and helped him buy his own vehicle.

If I'm turning my own wrenches on a fresh frame, without trying to make or beat "shop time", why couldn't a quality build/repair result?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a project that will never be completed because you lack the tools and space to get it done. You could have easily taken the insurance payout, and used as a down payment on a new truck and have lower payments than what you had before.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The frame replacement is a huge job let alone dealing with the body damage to the front clip. My cousin did something similar with his 2500 Chevrolet Avalanch with similiar damage, sat in his shop for years and never got around to fixing it, I believe he finally parted it out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
More concerning is why the hell didn't the airbags go off? That has to be a hard impact.
There are lots of variables involved with air bags deploying. You do not want them to deploy unless they are absolutely needed.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a project that will never be completed because you lack the tools and space to get it done. You could have easily taken the insurance payout, and used as a down payment on a new truck and have lower payments than what you had before.

This..

As much as I like to see guys wrench and fix their own stuff.. I have a strong feeling OP is going to be over his head. I get that the truck was spec’d out how you wanted but your thinking with heart not your brain. Its a mass produced truck and can be replaced… maybe not 100% exact but your also screwing yourself from getting rid of it in the future for anything other then pennies with a salvaged or rebuilt title.

Users who are viewing this thread