5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox 2.0 shocks leaking. Rebuild or replace?

Bigdumps

Reaction score
I have the Mopar 2" lift with the fox 2.0 shocks. Dealer did a peace of mind inspection and says the front shocks are leaking. Naturally my truck is out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Should I replace them with new Fox shocks or go with a Bilstein?

I wouldn't mind squeezing out an extra .5"-1" of height in the front.

Any recommendations on shocks would be great.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many miles are on the shocks? Sig says you have a MY22 and you said just out of warranty. So I’m guessing 37k-ish miles? That’s low mileage I would think for shocks to start leaking…unless you run them hard and fast very frequently.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
88000 km, so roughly 54k mile. All highway, city use. Some gravel road use during bow hunting season. I

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd price out the rebuild. Otherwise Bilstein will give a firmer ride than FOX, still rides great I think. Just so you know.

Last edited:

Bigdumps

Reaction score
I was looking into Bilstein 6112s. Don't know much about suspension, are those adjustable beyond the 2" currently installed?

Only issue with rebuild is the truck is off the road for who knows how long.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the 6112's are 2.6 max? Some guys have put the .5 spacer on top from Motofab and put taller coils out back. They have also used Jeep Gladiator Clayton rear lift coils if you search on here. I'm not sure what towing capacity would be with Jeep coils.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
I thought about this. Lol an expensive little upgrade. Nothing is cheap up here in Cantada

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I would just go new so no downtime instead of rebuilding them or go Bilstein.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would rebuild them. They were meant to be rebuilt. You can avoid down time by scheduling an appointment. Drop it off in the morning. Pick it up in the afternoon. Same as a new install. Have them service your UCA's while you're at it. Easy peasy. Save a pile.

Last edited:

Bigdumps

Reaction score
The dealer does this or independent shop?

Edit, found an independent shop an hour from where I am that can do it for 160$ per side. Plus removal and reinstallation. Seems like a fair deal.

Last edited:

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer does this or independent shop?

Edit, found an independent shop an hour from where I am that can do it for 160$ per side. Plus removal and reinstallation. Seems like a fair deal.
Good job.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto. Thats awesome. Figured it was something you would have to send ship somewhere.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto. Thats awesome. Figured it was something you would have to send ship somewhere.
rebuilding shocks is not a service that all independent shops offer because it takes special tools, equipments, parts, and knowledge to do it especially when if the shock owner wants to tune the shock to better serve his truck's constant load and driving style. If a shop can do tuning, then that shop can for sure do rebuild because "rebuilding" is basically part of "tuning" (aka, "tuning" follows the same steps as "rebuilding", just "tuning" involves an extra step of calculating and messing with the shims in the piston then take it out to test and adjust)

but there are shock shops around, just need to find them lol

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Well, the shop I found only does rebuilding. They don't do removal or installation. Lol
Having a back up set incase this happens again seems like the best move.

Looking like I'm going to grab a second set of either the same 2.0 ifp's ($500 for the pair)or Bilstein 5100s (460 cad for the pair) Bilstein 6112s(1300 cad for the pair with new coils)
Since Bilsteins are adjustable, I would ideally like to squeeze an extra half inch of lift in the front out of them. Or any other shock that is reasonably priced.

Would you knowledgeable guys know if :
A) Bilsteins are equal in build quality and ride in comparison to fox
B) if mixing my Mopar lift with the Bilsteins at 2.5" is okay for UCAs.
C) what would you guys recommend for my primarily city truck? upgraded Bilstein 6112, or fox 2.5. the ride of the 2.0 was imo great.

I appreciate all the help.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fox and Bilstein give a different ride. Fox more plush, Bilstein more firm.
Yes you'll be fine with Mopar UCA's
I liked the 6112 over the 5100's. I just picked up with Fox 2.5 w/ BDS 3" lift, but haven't installed yet. I like the adjustability

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Yea, I'm more of a plush ride guy. Want a softer/smoother ride but also want a little extra height but don't want to use a spacer. Maybe just some 2.0s and orp springs in the front.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can always grab the Fox coilover which are adjustable and will match the rear shocks. They're around $1000. Price research

Some guys have ran the Motofab .5 spacer on top which won't make enough difference to worry about problems.

Last edited:

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Ah the joys of living in Canada, everything is difficult to find and ridiculously expensive. Lol
I appreciate all the help, I like the 2.0 coilovers, seem like a great option.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bad. I should have specified that the shop should be brand certified to rebuild .

Users who are viewing this thread