5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

found this on another forum...New RING Vehicle Security Camera

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TRX and Hellcat guys need this. Imo outside of a dash cam (for accident reasons) and some type of home security setup if you require something like this it might be time to downgrade vehicles or relocate lol. This would probably be good for those uber/lyft drivers for their protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Problem with it is that it plugs into the OBD II port. In the event of a break in, it will get unplugged immediately.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Problem with it is that it plugs into the OBD II port. In the event of a break in, it will get unplugged immediately.
Then make an adapter cable and wire it to any 12V source under the dash. Or, cut the OBD plug off and use the 2 wires for + and -.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then make an adapter cable and wire it to any 12V source under the dash. Or, cut the OBD plug off and use the 2 wires for + and -.
From what I understand, it's not that simple. The device gets power from there, but also gets signal to determine whether the vehicle is on or off (so it can go into low-power mode while the vehicle is off).

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wonder if has a different notification for when it is disconnected, rather than the normal notification for motion detection. in any event it seems like this would need to be pair with something else for better protection

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wonder if has a different notification for when it is disconnected, rather than the normal notification for motion detection. in any event it seems like this would need to be pair with something else for better protection
OBD splitter and hide the connection.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ring cameras send all footage to the police.
Hope you never speed in your car\truck or do anything that you don't want the police getting live streamed.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ring cameras send all footage to the police.
Hope you never speed in your car\truck or do anything that you don't want the police getting live streamed.
although not true, I am all for it. Even though it would be useless here in CA. small crimes are not being prosecuted and even more serious offenders are being let go because there aren't enough judges and jury, etc - I suppose we must be doing so great here that we want our criminals to come back for seconds and thirds

Pschne1

Reaction score
I like the camera and am using Ring cameras in my house. Also like the way it connects. I just wish therer were other mounting options. Much prefer to mount it behind the rearview mirror so you do not see it. Cable can still be tun to tge port from the top of the windshield down. Maybe when they revise/update…

MrWeatherman

Reaction score
I pre ordered 2, one for my truck whenever it decides to be delivered and one for the wife. I like new tech so I’m going to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trying out new tech can be really fun, and it's great that you're investing in vehicle security. Enjoy testing out the RING Vehicle Security Camera, and I hope it works perfectly for both your truck and your wife's vehicle!
Buddy, you sound an awful lot like a robot. You’d better reply back with something uniquely human or you’re going bye-bye

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All of "RING"'s security cameras are O V E R P R I C E D, period.
I have found the cheap "Geeni" cameras, at harbor freight to work a lot better than the high priced ones.

U

User_3336

I have found the cheap "Geeni" cameras, at harbor freight to work a lot better than the high priced ones.
I have cheap ZMODO cameras off Ebay, and they been running 4 years straight with no issues on the outside of the house.. 4 cameras and a DVR for $100. Cheaper and better res than "RING".

Users who are viewing this thread