5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found out today how far the FOB can be from the truck with it running...

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And the answer is: at least 5 miles!

I'm working on a Jeep for my grandson's birthday (it's a surprise). I finished up the brakes this morning and wanted to take it for a test drive, but the battery wouldn't turn. So I had to push it out of the garage, and I started the Ram to jump it off with. It took almost 20 minutes before I had enough juice to start it, so I decided I would not only test the brakes but also drive up to the parts store and get a new battery. So off I went. Stopped and got gas in the Jeep, then up to Advance. Was up there about 30 minutes or so swapping out the battery and checking a fuse, then headed back home. Beautiful day, both windows down. I pull into the driveway and shut off the Jeep and I hear something still running. "What's still idling on this thing?" I ask myself, before myself realizes that I left the truck running after I was done jumping off the Jeep - doh! I had the fob in my pocket, so apparently it doesn't shut off once the fob is out of range.

Not sure how much I like that feature; this truck is quiet enough that a couple of times I've almost forgotten to shut it off when I came home! Funny how the truck has lots of features for bad memory older dudes like me - auto headlights, auto parking brake - but no feature for auto-shut-off-the-truck-when-the-knucklehead-leaves-it-running-and-goes-to-the-parts-store! :ROFLMAO:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And the answer is: at least 5 miles!

I'm working on a Jeep for my grandson's birthday (it's a surprise). I finished up the brakes this morning and wanted to take it for a test drive, but the battery wouldn't turn. So I had to push it out of the garage, and I started the Ram to jump it off with. It took almost 20 minutes before I had enough juice to start it, so I decided I would not only test the brakes but also drive up to the parts store and get a new battery. So off I went. Stopped and got gas in the Jeep, then up to Advance. Was up there about 30 minutes or so swapping out the battery and checking a fuse, then headed back home. Beautiful day, both windows down. I pull into the driveway and shut off the Jeep and I hear something still running. "What's still idling on this thing?" I ask myself, before myself realizes that I left the truck running after I was done jumping off the Jeep - doh! I had the fob in my pocket, so apparently it doesn't shut off once the fob is out of range.

Not sure how much I like that feature; this truck is quiet enough that a couple of times I've almost forgotten to shut it off when I came home! Funny how the truck has lots of features for bad memory older dudes like me - auto headlights, auto parking brake - but no feature for auto-shut-off-the-truck-when-the-knucklehead-leaves-it-running-and-goes-to-the-parts-store! :ROFLMAO:
Don't think I like that either. Imagine if you leave it running at a store or something and forget to lock it...you'll come back to an empty parking spot where you left the truck...

billfraley

Reaction score
If someone tried to get in and go without the keyfob, it would shutdown the truck. Leaving it running after starting is different.

In other words, the keyfob would still be needed to be able to drive off in the truck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve dropped wife off with fob in her purse and continued to drive home.
Once started from inside (not remote) it will keep going but there will be a warning fob has left vehicle

I do get the random fob has left vehicle messages when I drive. But it’s there, in the wrong cup holder...

I’m glad it doesn’t just shut off as I drive

spiG

Reaction score
I've never been in a push start vehicle that doesn't continue to run after the key fob is taken out. Once started with the fob present it'll continue to run until turned off just continue to give the warning of it. Not just a FCA thing, all push starts (that I know of) will do that.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will run without the fob as long as you leave it on. You just won't be able to restart it if you turn it off.

Jeff B

Reaction score
Yup itll still drive away without fob ..wife had my keys with her and drove away . I called her back since I needed to stop at lowes for lumber. She'd gone about 3 miles lesson learned

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can't shift out of park if the fob is not inside the vehicle. I've tried to do that on accident a couple of times after remote starting from my kitchen. If the vehicle is already in drive when the fob is removed you can drive away. Not sure what happens if you shift into park after that though.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't shift out of park if the fob is not inside the vehicle. I've tried to do that on accident a couple of times after remote starting from my kitchen. If the vehicle is already in drive when the fob is removed you can drive away. Not sure what happens if you shift into park after that though.
You made me curious so I did some science. I started my truck with the fob inside, took the keys out and placed in my Faraday box, then drove around the block. Truck will shift normally to drive, reverse, park, etc. Obviously, once the truck is shut off I couldn't start it without the key.

Having said that, I refer to my previous statement where it will continue to run until it's shut off or out of gas. That is a huge safety issue/liability if it all of a sudden cuts off after a certain distance.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edit- Lax beat me to it while I was typing apparently, lol.
If you remote started it, you are correct. It won't shift out of park without the fob. (Actually it won't let you 'start' it with the push button even though it's already running and therefore won't shift).

However, if you start the truck with the push button and then remove the fob from the truck you could drive around all day (and shift in and out of park) without the fob AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SHUT IT OFF. As soon as the truck is turned off (and the fob isn't present) it will no longer start.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the norm as the vehicle shutting off would lead to all kinds of lawsuits from people getting injured even though they may have stolen it.

billfraley

Reaction score
This is the norm as the vehicle shutting off would lead to all kinds of lawsuits from people getting injured even though they may have stolen it.
I think the issue while in motion is that a simple malfunction might cause the fob to lose communication.

My earlier post was about remote starting. In that situation, the vehicle will shut off if you try to do anything without the presence of the fob.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the issue while in motion is that a simple malfunction might cause the fob to lose communication.

My earlier post was about remote starting. In that situation, the vehicle will shut off if you try to do anything without the presence of the fob.

Actually, if you jump in your truck without the fob (and that's assuming you somehow unlocked it after remote starting it, but forgot the fob) while it's running from remote start and push the button or attempt to shift to drive, nothing will happen except the truck will ding and a message will appear on the screen that the fob isn't present. It will not shut off until the remote start time limit is reached. It will however shut off if the hood is opened or the low fuel light comes on while it's running from a remote start.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Edit- Lax beat me to it while I was typing apparently, lol.
If you remote started it, you are correct. It won't shift out of park without the fob. (Actually it won't let you 'start' it with the push button even though it's already running and therefore won't shift).

However, if you start the truck with the push button and then remove the fob from the truck you could drive around all day (and shift in and out of park) without the fob AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SHUT IT OFF. As soon as the truck is turned off (and the fob isn't present) it will no longer start.
Definitely remote started it. Hadn't ever tried removing the fob after starting it normally. That's good information. I don't usually exit my truck with it running, so it shouldn't ever be an issue for me, but I can see how that would worry someone who does exit with it running often.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Definitely remote started it. Hadn't ever tried removing the fob after starting it normally. That's good information. I don't usually exit my truck with it running, so it shouldn't ever be an issue for me, but I can see how that would worry someone who does exit with it running often.

WHAT I do, if I want the truck to keep running, like AC on when real hot. When I get to location, I shut off, lock truck. I have dual climate set to Auto. I then remote start and go into store, but not too far from truck that I lose sight. Truck not gonna go ne where. But alas, U know how there R You tube things out there for every illegal, workaround. Would not surprise me there is a work around also, just saying... BUT PPL need to NOT make it a practice to start and leave running, just saying... IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online