5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found out the hard way, lol

GWillings

Reaction score
Well, I found out the hard way that the spare is only an R18 and my 1500 came with R20's. hahahahahaha
Long story short, I am looking for new tires, and will be putting on a 3.5" lift in January.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I found out the hard way that the spare is only an R18 and my 1500 came with R20's. hahahahahaha
Long story short, I am looking for new tires, and will be putting on a 3.5" lift in January.
Pretty sure they all come with an 18 inch spare?

GWillings

Reaction score
Size of the wheel doesn’t matter. It’s the overall diameter of the tire that does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I get that, just thought the wheel size would actually match up to what came installed on the truck, lol.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I get that, just thought the wheel size would actually match up to what came installed on the truck, lol

Not sure how you got that out of what I posted, but okay, lol.
Because you made it seem like you bought tires for a 20" wheel (assuming you bought 5) and then you said you found out the hard way your spare was an 18" wheel. Which would lead one to believe you purchased the tires before checking the spare wheel size and now you're stuck with the wrong tires? Then you said you're now looking for new tires lol. Your post was just confusing is all.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you plan on rotating the spare with your other tires, not sure why it would matter. I only use the spare when I get a flat tire. I couldn't care less what the spare looks like so long as it gets me to the tire shop :D

GWillings

Reaction score
Because you made it seem like you bought tires for a 20" wheel (assuming you bought 5) and then you said you found out the hard way your spare was an 18" wheel. Which would lead one to believe you purchased the tires before checking the spare wheel size and now you're stuck with the wrong tires? Then you said you're now looking for new tires lol. Your post was just confusing is all.
No, you assumed that. No way I would have got that from what I stated. But, opinions vary from person to person. All good.
But anyway, was off road, and a rock stabbed my tire through the sidewall, lol.

GWillings

Reaction score
Unless you plan on rotating the spare with your other tires, not sure why it would matter. I only use the spare when I get a flat tire. I couldn't care less what the spare looks like so long as it gets me to the tire shop :D
And now you know why I was messing with the spare, lol. The so-called full size spare is nothing but a donut tire. Soon enough the spare will match the tires I put on.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly how I read it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will a bigger spare fit in the same mounting location? I've been under there when I put my bed step on but I don't remember what kind of clearance is around the tire.
And now you know why I was messing with the spare, lol. The so-called full size spare is nothing but a donut tire. Soon enough the spare will match the tires I put on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Spare tire on my BTS with ORP is a full size matching tire to what's on the regular 20" wheels, just on a 18" steel wheel. The factory Falken Wildpeaks

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spare tire on my BTS with ORP is a full size matching tire to what's on the regular 20" wheels, just on a 18" steel wheel. The factory Falken Wildpeaks
Do you have the ORP? I believe this is one of the 'options' RAM included in the ORP as I have a FS spare as well.

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
The 18" that is the spare is the exact same size tire in total diameter...not a doughnut size spare. I put 18" rims/tires on my truck in the winter so I don't beat up my night edition 22's.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
regarding flats, what if you have stock 22" wheels. Is the spare an 18" or 20"? And if it's either and neither are close enough or the same diam, then could you even use the spare?

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
regarding flats, what if you have stock 22" wheels. Is the spare an 18" or 20"? And if it's either and neither are close enough or the same diam, then could you even use the spare?
The spare will work just fine...exactly the same diameter as the 22's with the low profile tires just more rubber between you and the road

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, you'll be okay with a spare tire that is 32" even if the rest of your tires are bigger in diameter.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swapped out mine and bought an identical 22" Mopar wheel off eBay for about $150.00, I had a puncture in one of the Yoko 285/45/22's I opted for and also opted for the wheel and tire coverage at the time of purchase of the truck. I took the truck and the extra wheel and TPMS to the dealer, they covered the tire and bought me a new Yokohama and mounted the punctured one that I plugged and it holds air fine. I installed that under my truck and it squeezed into the spare tire well under there. The mounted setup measures ~34" overall diameter. BTW, no issues with having 5 TPMS active, it only sees/reads the ones at the 4 corners. (I was concerned about that when I did it)
IMG_2816.jpg
IMG_2817.jpg
IMG_2818.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread