5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward Collision Warning

Halibut214

Reaction score
Wow! All sorts of stuff on this truck happening unexpectedly that should have been gone over thoroughly when I took delivery of my truck. The latest, the Forward Collision Alarm. So now that I watched the video I'm hoping someone that has had it happen can provide me information on the part of the video that says, "The system can provide limited braking", (if you don't take action)? I just turned over 1000 miles and had the alert come on twice. Both times I simultaneously was braking so I don't know if it would have braked itself and if so how hard. If anyone has had your rig brake itself I would appreciate knowing your experience? NOT ASKING ABOUT THE BACKUP BRAKE

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yeah the tail gate being down is being detected by the rear sensors. They are sensitive. My driveway is a small hill I back down and my sensors pick up the sidewalk at the end and locks the brakes up just about everytime. I had the front sensor give me the dash warning coming to a stop at a traffic light when I got to close. I only have the park sensors front and rear not the entire safety package. My understanding is the park sensors only work if the speed is 8 mph or slower. Just a warning, dont idle the truck in gear with a door open because that will activate the electronic park brake and abruptly stop you too. This is my first vehicle with this much electronics and everytime I scares the hell out of me when the brakes lock up lol

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, the auto stop crap scares me all the time. It locked up a few times because of the cold exauhst while backing up.

I will admit, it saved my back bumper in a parking garage the other day. Concrete columns kind of blend right in with concrete walls but it locked up before I backed into one. Cudos to Ram!

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It saved me from backing into a tree at night :ROFLMAO: Parking sensors has locked up the brakes on me going forward and backwards. It's helpful at times, but annoying some other times.

The forward collision warning only happened to me once about two weeks ago. It gave me the audio warning and I did hit the brake. I'm not sure if the system would have locked up the brakes automatically.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First thing I turned off. Didn't like the idea of them anyway but was more than convinced by all the stories of people reversing out of their driveway with a slight slope and having the brakes applied sharply.

Oh that and a few stories I saw where people said the forward collision activated because they were about to go under an overpass/bridge with no actual danger, happening at 30-40 mph. No thanks! Just imagine that happening at 80 on a busy highway! I'll just continue to pay attention when driving. I don't use the parking sensors either but have nothing against them and how they operate, but at least you can leave them active and turn off the active collision/braking.

Halibut214

Reaction score
NOT my question. I know how the back up braking works. What I would like to know is how the forward collision braking works.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread