5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward Collision Warning

Laramiepete

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2020 Laramie Night edition after turning in my 2019 Laramie. My old Laramie work perfectly alerting to possible situations but never made it to actual panic braking. This new one will not alert at all in the same situations. Does anyone notice when you start the car that the forward collision off light illuminates for about 3 seconds then goes out? When I turn the system off the light remains on constantly. The illumination of the FCW deactivation light never happened in my old Laramie. This may be a clue. Do other people notice this light when starting their vehicle?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had to turn both the front and rear to just warning, no braking.. because they activate ALL the damn time! I'll be going down the highway at 70+ mph, nothing in front of me, nothing in the road, and no imperfections in the road.. dash starts going nuts and BAM, slams on the brakes! ..and it's so random that the dealer will not be able to duplicate it..

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I've had to turn both the front and rear to just warning, no braking.. because they activate ALL the damn time! I'll be going down the highway at 70+ mph, nothing in front of me, nothing in the road, and no imperfections in the road.. dash starts going nuts and BAM, slams on the brakes! ..and it's so random that the dealer will not be able to duplicate it..
That's definitely worse than it not deploying at all! At least you will have your fate in your own hands.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I got mine to work by having the truck running then turning the FCW off in the settings. The disabled icon lights up in the front display. then go back into the settings and re-enable the FCW. I was able to get 2 alerts for closing in rapidly on people making a right turns in front of me. When I shut the truck off and restart it,the disabled icon lights for about 4 seconds. Then I tried the same maneuvers and could not get an alert and believe I tried! I hope I didn't scare anybody LOL!
It seems like the system is defaulting to disabled even if the settings show that it is enabled. This is probably why their no codes being generated. What do you think?

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you 202snowman! May I ask where I can find the entire manual? It seems like a wealth of info compared to either the OG or OM.
the issue is that it needs to be a moving object or suddenly pops up

It doesn’t need a moving object, at least not when it worked on my truck.
I was pulling into a parking stall, albeit a little quick, but it instantly slammed on my brakes. Suprized the hell out of me. People walking buy must have thought I didn’t know how to drive. All my crap on my seats flew on the floor. I was about 6” away from the front corner but knew what I was doing.

Just yesterday on the highway, a semi put on its brakes and my truck reared with a BOLD RED message in the EVIC “BRAKE” and came on with an audible alert. I applied the brake before I let it do any else.

Last edited:

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Now that I’m months into shutting down auto braking both forward and backward I couldn’t be happier. It still yells if it thinks I’ll do something stupid, but at least I’m in control now to decide what’s best. Wife’s Subaru has the same technology but unfortunately I have to shut it off each time I start the car, I’m thankful the Ram let me do that permanently.

Laramiepete

Reaction score
I found that my FCW is working. It must be calibrated differently than my old truck. I have it set on far and reacts like my old truck set on near. They may have calibrated it this way to cut down on falses.

Eco-Dawg

Reaction score
Interesting everyone is having this same issue. I took mine to the dealer yesterday and they didn’t want to test it for fear of getting hurt themselves and totaling my truck! I can’t blame them as I don’t want to wreak it either, but Ram must have a way to test the FCW somehow to verify it’s working. I just want to be sure it works in a true emergency.

Eco-Dawg

Reaction score
Here's a little light reading for everyone to explain how FCA has this setup.

After reading this diagram (thank you 202 Snowman) I went looking for a camera on the front of my Ram Limited. I looked and looked and saw no foward facing camera, but my Ram says it has FCW, has the settings in the on screen menus. I’m wondering if Ram was out of cameras and instead of stopping the line just skipped it! Does everyone have these foward facing cameras, or are those of us who thinks the system doesn’t work all missing the camera, mentioned in this shop diagram? I’m wondering if this is something I take to the dealer or try finding a number for FCA/Ram factory rep to ask what’s going on...

Bigtone

Reaction score
After reading this diagram (thank you 202 Snowman) I went looking for a camera on the front of my Ram Limited. I looked and looked and saw no foward facing camera, but my Ram says it has FCW, has the settings in the on screen menus. I’m wondering if Ram was out of cameras and instead of stopping the line just skipped it! Does everyone have these foward facing cameras, or are those of us who thinks the system doesn’t work all missing the camera, mentioned in this shop diagram? I’m wondering if this is something I take to the dealer or try finding a number for FCA/Ram factory rep to ask what’s going on...
I believe the camera for the auto braking is in the unit in front of the rear view mirror.

Eco-Dawg

Reaction score
I believe the camera for the auto braking is in the unit in front of the rear view mirror.
Interesting, I’ll have to look closer to see what’s up in there it’s definitely a big unit and it’s wider on the passenger side then driver side, I’ve never noticed this before.

Bigtone

Reaction score
Interesting, I’ll have to look closer to see what’s up in there it’s definitely a big unit and it’s wider on the passenger side then driver side, I’ve never noticed this before.
I‘m not sure if you can see it there, but I read it is there. My Limited has FCW but not ACC, and the FCW has gone off once on me, just the warning but hasn’t applied the brakes, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread