5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward Collision system error

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I left my truck parked for 4 days, started up (normally), and a few minutes later noticed this:

FWC error, small.jpg

I drove an hour, got home, shut down. I did a quick restart and the error wasn't there.

So, it's either a one-off, a weak battery that is just rearing it's head (1 year and 5 days since I got the truck), or a module/sensor that's going out.

Derek916

Reaction score
I left my truck parked for 4 days, started up (normally), and a few minutes later noticed this:

View attachment 129309

I drove an hour, got home, shut down. I did a quick restart and the error wasn't there.

So, it's either a one-off, a weak battery that is just rearing it's head (1 year and 5 days since I got the truck), or a module/sensor that's going out.
I've had the issue to while driving and turning it off/on fixed my issue as well....I occasionally also get a random warning sounds playing with no sensor lights appearing on my dashboard/screen...

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My front sensors detect ghosts every once in a while.

At the end of the day, as much as I love my truck, it is a machine. Quirks are expected. As long as the drivability is not affected, I'm good.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is your windshield clean or is there maybe some chunk of crap in front of the camera when that happened? It’s the camera that is in charge of the forward collision, not the bumper sensors (just for everyone’s knowledge). I’m 95% sure its what jamram said, but I wanted to mention another possibility. Do you have any codes stored in the BCM? I’m not talking about active, but historical codes.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is your windshield clean or is there maybe some chunk of crap in front of the camera when that happened? It’s the camera that is in charge of the forward collision, not the bumper sensors (just for everyone’s knowledge). I’m 95% sure its what jamram said, but I wanted to mention another possibility. Do you have any codes stored in the BCM? I’m not talking about active, but historical codes.

I'll go pull codes later. Windshield is moderate. ;) 3 drives since, no windshield cleaning in between, and no dashboard lights.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll go pull codes later. Windshield is moderate. ;) 3 drives since, no windshield cleaning in between, and no dashboard lights.
Cool, I’m very interested to see what code it stored.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There won't be any codes stored for that. "Messages" is one of the menu options for the gauge cluster display. If you have no messages that's what it says.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There won't be any codes stored for that. "Messages" is one of the menu options for the gauge cluster display. If you have no messages that's what it says.
The reason I asked is because I did have a code stored in the BCM for mine, but I had an actual problem and a recal was what solved it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The reason I asked is because I did have a code stored in the BCM for mine, but I had an actual problem and a recal was what solved it.
Right, I thought the OP was asking about the "No Stored Messages" on the DIC. My bad for missing what he was actually asking about, the forward collision light LOL. That's what I get for opening a thread without reading the title. 😬

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, I thought the OP was asking about the "No Stored Messages" on the DIC. My bad for missing what he was actually asking about, the forward collision light LOL. That's what I get for opening a thread without reading the title. 😬
I'll let it go...this time. ;) ;) :)

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving home last night I had a loud impact on my windshield from a rock coming off a cement truck. Didn't see any cracks, so let it go. 15 minutes later my dash lit up with the amber lights like the OP.

I was thinking I must have a huge crack in front of the camera, but when I got home, it looked OK. Restarted the truck and whatever gremlin or poltergeist was in there went back to sleep. Three drives later, still error free.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Driving home last night I had a loud impact on my windshield from a rock coming off a cement truck. Didn't see any cracks, so let it go. 15 minutes later my dash lit up with the amber lights like the OP.

I was thinking I must have a huge crack in front of the camera, but when I got home, it looked OK. Restarted the truck and whatever gremlin or poltergeist was in there went back to sleep. Three drives later, still error free.
Now that is really odd.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This has happened to my truck twice in 2 years, I shut the truck off both times and restarted and the issue clears.
1st time was about a year ago, last time was Wednesday

Users who are viewing this thread