5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford Bed Extender on 19 RAM

tegan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I used to be a Ford guy but recently bought a 19 RAM. I really loved the Ford bed extender since it could be tucked away on sides of the bed when not in use. I wanted to see if I could get it to work with the RAM. I could not find anyone else doing it so I figured I would post my results here. I happened to have an Ford extender from a 2015 F150. I took it out before I traded it in. There are two big differences between the beds on the Ford and RAM. The RAM box it much taller than the Ford. The rear opening of the box on the Ford is squared off. The RAM is rounded at the bottom. This requires the bed extender to be mounted higher so it can rotate. This cause another issue. If I mounted it higher I would need to add spacers to the extender so it can sit level. What I did was I took off the rubber feet from the top and and them to the bottom. A couple of spacers, nuts and bolts it came out perfect. Now I can get my 4 wheeler in.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 309

tegan

Reaction score
What does it look like folded up?
You have 2 options.
1. You can keep it together and just rotate it inside the bed like a normal bed extender.
2. You can separate it in the middle and put it to the sides of the bed. I do not have a picture of it in my truck but I am attaching a pic how it looks in the ford. It looks the same in the RAM.

Attachments

• 2009-thru-2014-Ford-F-150-F150-OEM-Black-_1.jpg
    2009-thru-2014-Ford-F-150-F150-OEM-Black-_1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 205

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
You have 2 options.
1. You can keep it together and just rotate it inside the bed like a normal bed extender.
2. You can separate it in the middle and put it to the sides of the bed. I do not have a picture of it in my truck but I am attaching a pic how it looks in the ford. It looks the same in the RAM.

I love this idea and would like to do the same. Would you mind posting more pics and a small write up maybe?

I'd like to see how it looks mounted in your bed; folded in, out and folded up as well as how you drilled/installed.

Thanks in advace!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love it, and have same request for more details for anyone who might want to follow in your footsteps. Part number? How did you select where you drilled the mounting holes? Thanks for this write-up!

tegan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am attaching some more pictures. The width of the Ford bed and the RAM bed are close enough to not matter. The big difference between the Ford and RAM is how the sides of the bed meet the floor. On the Ford it meets at a 90 degree angle. On the RAM it is a radius. If the radius was not there this install would be super simple.

Here is how to do it.

1. Take out both tail lights.
2. Figure out how to add space to the bottom of the extender. In my case I took the rubber feet from the top and attached them on the bottom.
3. Line up the extender on driver side where it needs to be on the side piller so it is level and it will clear the tail gate when flipped in.
4. Drill the hole and put bolt in with fender washer on the back with locknut.
5. Verify the action works well.
6. Attach passenger extender and line up pass side.
7. Drill hole and bolt in.
8. This extender has pins to lock it down. On mine I took the pins out and put it down. I then used a center punch to mark where to drill the holes for the pins.
9. Put the tail lights back in.

There are two different bed extenders for the F150. One is for the 2009-2014. The other is 2015-2019. They look very similar but are slightly different sizes. I have both and the one pictured is he 2015-19. This one fits better when folded in but does not use the entire tail gate. In my case it was enough to get my 4 wheeler in. The other one uses much more of he tailgate but lays on top of the wheel wells when folded in.

It is scary to drill. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 129

Lize

Reaction score
Great information, a really useful alternative for members (y)

I had one on my old F150 and it was very good, I used it a surprising amount. When not in use it takes hardly any of the bed away and I used to stash small items behind it, looks the same on your photos.

I’d get one and do the same but I’ll have the ram boxes when my truck arrives. Suspect the Ram divider sort may be a pain as will have to get it from the front amongst cargo when needed.

Definitely well worth looking at as a divider/extender option.

pgienger

Reaction score
I've had my Ramboxes since Dec 2010 and will not buy anything without them as long as they're made. The bed divider is easily as useful as the boxes themselves and very rarely in the way. Most of the time it sits about 3 notches from the rear as that's about how much stuff I put in on an average day. The only time it is at all in the way is hauling a full 4x8 sheet of anything and then it usually has to be lashed to a tiedown on top of the stack... if I didn't take it out before leaving the house.

This does look interesting for those folks that didn't want the boxes though. If I had it I imagine it'd live its life inside as a 'cargo net' for those things that end up in the bed but you don't want scurrying their way up to the cab.

Rebeltime

Reaction score
This is great thanks for posting the info.
Im just about to trade my F150 for a 2020 Rebel and will definitely be keeping the Ford bed extender for the Rebel. Having it fold up out of the way is priceless to me.

Now to figure out how to get a power drop tailgate on the Rebel funny how there not offering it as an option ON the Rebel makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread