5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? For Those with blind spot mirrors

Mason1217

Reaction score
I didn’t get them, but I did want to, now my kid is looking at 5th gen Rams so I’m wondering...

A. Has anyone had experience with blind spot mirrors and motorcycles? Wondering if it will pick them up same as it would for a car

B. Do you solely rely on the light or do you find yourself constantly looking over your shoulders anyways?

C. Trailer detection, awesome or gimmick?

Just wondering how confident people are in the accuracy of detection to decide if it’s a must have for his next truck. He’s 22 so not like a new teenage driver and he currently has a 4th gen without them and never tows anything more than a small jet ski trailer.
Thanks

Fidomac

Reaction score
I didn’t get them, but I did want to, now my kid is looking at 5th gen Rams so I’m wondering...

A. Has anyone had experience with blind spot mirrors and motorcycles? Wondering if it will pick them up same as it would for a car

B. Do you solely rely on the light or do you find yourself constantly looking over your shoulders anyways?

Just wondering how confident people are in the accuracy of detection to decide if it’s a must have for his next truck. He’s 22 so not like a new teenage driver and he currently has a 4th gen without them and never tows anything more than a small jet ski trailer.
Thanks
Does work on motorcycles in my experience

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does work on motorcycles in my experience

As a rider myself, the Blind Spot Monitoring works quite well on both the RAM and Forester...

I find myself double checking (car at work not *not* have blind spot monitoring) but it has been spot on every time.

Have yet to use the Trailer Detection, but again, but if it works as well as the regular system, it will certainly take the guess work out of knowing if you can switch lanes.

grinch72

Reaction score

Thanks
It works great in all aspects. It’s been great with motorcycles and with trailers. I’ve also had it on other vehicles as well for the past 10 years or so. At this point I never look over my shoulder. I got simply with the light. If it’s off, I go!

gliderpilot

Reaction score
I thought it was a gimmick but I am actually surprised how well it works.

I have a 25 foot trailer to tow but have not towed it yet, I hope it
works well on that also.

Keemosabe

Reaction score
Have it on my Alfa Giulia and it works great. Probably because I don’t have it on my Avalanche, I always look over my shoulder anyway. Maybe with the new Ram (once I get it) under my butt I’ll graduate to full automated mod. . Then again it never hurts to take that last look to be sure. It’s incredible how many people move into your blind spot and then just take up residence in there. Call me crazy, but I try to keep a healthy distance front, back, and sides away from other cars and trucks. Too many distracted and just poor drivers on the road IMHO.

MCPT1

Reaction score
It works great in all aspects. It’s been great with motorcycles and with trailers. I’ve also had it on other vehicles as well for the past 10 years or so. At this point I never look over my shoulder. I got simply with the light. If it’s off, I go!

NEVER LOOK ???
Blind trust in technology is dangerous, hope I'm never on the same road as you on my motorcycle

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
The trailer detection works well and rounds up my 12 foot ATV trailer to 20 feet.
With the 4 pin you have to turn off the rear park sensor but I picked up a round adapter to see if that changes.
I always look as I have been on plenty of accidents that were because of bad decisions.

grinch72

Reaction score
NEVER LOOK ???
Blind trust in technology is dangerous, hope I'm never on the same road as you on my motorcycle
It’s not blind trust. It’s 10 years of experience and never having it fail. Sure there is the chance, there is also a chance the tech on a plane will fail and you will die but those chances are extremely low in systems like that today. They all post warnings on system checks and failures as well. If you see a failure or warning then my all means you need to look but the majority of the time a simple look at you mirror will suffice. No need to turn your head and look over your shoulder. Also most of these trucks have blind spot mirrors so that makes it even easier. To top it all off you should have your mirror adjusted outward to focus more on the back of the car than the side which also reduces your blind spot areas. I’m not saying don’t look at your mirrors, I’m saying there is little need to turn your head over your shoulder and look.

Neokane

Reaction score
Biggest concern is when some asshat comes flying up on you at 90+ mph and it is too fast for the blind spot detection..

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Blind Spot monitoring system on these trucks works great! I was a little hesitant to trust it at first; but it has been completely accurate and reliable both with and without a trailer. It is probably one of my most favorite options. I still lock over my shoulder as a matter of habit, but I really don't need to.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The truck has huge mirrors. For you to see the blind spot monitoring even out of your peripheral vision you also must see the mirror and therefore are at least looking in the side mirrors before getting over and should be pretty hard to miss something. At least in my experience. I hardly ever looked over my shoulder prior to. I know how to properly use my mirrors...

PTRAM

Reaction score
The blind spot monitoring system works great in my Ram especially if you put your turn signals on to indicate you are changing lanes as you should as it will give some loud beeps if someone is beside you. It will indicate anytime someone is in your blind spot and I have depended on it many times. Sometimes I still give that look over my shoulder for a double check but not all the time.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not blind trust. It’s 10 years of experience and never having it fail. Sure there is the chance, there is also a chance the tech on a plane will fail and you will die but those chances are extremely low in systems like that today. They all post warnings on system checks and failures as well. If you see a failure or warning then my all means you need to look but the majority of the time a simple look at you mirror will suffice. No need to turn your head and look over your shoulder. Also most of these trucks have blind spot mirrors so that makes it even easier. To top it all off you should have your mirror adjusted outward to focus more on the back of the car than the side which also reduces your blind spot areas. I’m not saying don’t look at your mirrors, I’m saying there is little need to turn your head over your shoulder and look.

If you're not looking, IT IS blind trust. If you wanna take chances with your own life/property, that's one thing, but refusing to LOOK is taking chances with someone else's life/property... and that's never the right thing to do.

Mason1217

Reaction score
The blind spot monitoring system works great in my Ram especially if you put your turn signals on to indicate you are changing lanes as you should as it will give some loud beeps if someone is beside you. It will indicate anytime someone is in your blind spot and I have depended on it many times. Sometimes I still give that look over my shoulder for a double check but not all the time.
Oh I never knew it was an audible alert as well, I’d never heard of that. Thanks for the great feedback gang. I think based on this input I’ll suggest to him that He should try to find a truck that has them (he’s looking at local inventory, doesn’t have time to wait for an order as his lease is up) An extra safety feature can’t hurt. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread