5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Those of Us Who Ordered the Bed Utility Group in our 2020

ESSRTEE8

Reaction score
Ok, Here is what I found. Looking at the website, when you click on the little asterisk you get a footnote that says not available until Spring 2020. Not cool.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 1.14.29 PM.png

Oldpartsguy

Reaction score
FCA just came out with a recall on the bed step. Has to be removed and replaced with a new design. Maybe the new design wasn't available when your truck was being built. If you currently have a step, expect a recall notice in your mailbox soon.

ESSRTEE8

Reaction score
FCA just came out with a recall on the bed step. Has to be removed and replaced with a new design. Maybe the new design wasn't available when your truck was being built. If you currently have a step, expect a recall notice in your mailbox soon.

What model year?

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe the reason they stopped installing them was that they realized they had the wrong design. I have attached a .pdf file of 3 pages. It is a copy of the Customer Preferred Code Guide that my Dealer used when I ordered my Limited in July. On the second page of the attachment you will see that the Bed Utility Group (ANT) includes the bed step and does not refer to any exceptions. On the 3rd page the Multifunction Tailgate (MWK) only has a N/A W/APO which is Lower Two Tone Paint and N/A W/XM9 which is Delete Spray In Bedliner. So when I ordered, my Dealer had no access to any notice that a Bed Step would not be installed with the Multifunction Tailgate.

Attachments

• Customer Preferred Order Guide.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 36

john94si

Reaction score
I just went thru the build and see 2019 does not include the step but 2020 does for the same price.. i just bought my 2019 a few days ago.. dang it

JoeEcodiesel

Reaction score
So since my 2020 doesn't have Ram boxes it won't come with a divider?

2020 Laramie Ecodiesel, Crew cab, 4x4, Level 2, Night Edition

Apexcars

Reaction score
I tried to get my dealer to just install the corner step instead of the rear center step on my truck with MFT and BUG since the center step is not available anyway. Also, to me the corner step makes more sense. With the MFT open barn door style you can step on the cut out in the bumper to get in. With the MFT open tailgate style you can’t use the center step but you could use the corner step. The dealer said that FCA would not approve the corner step. According to them they are worried that people would open the MFT as a barn door and then try to step over it from the corner step and fall and hurt themselves.

skatz5000

Reaction score
So since my 2020 doesn't have Ram boxes it won't come with a divider?

2020 Laramie Ecodiesel, Crew cab, 4x4, Level 2, Night Edition
No I don’t believe it will. My ‘19 without Ramboxes and BUG only included the cargo rails and tie downs. No divider.

scenicroute9

Reaction score
I have a factory order 2020 with BUG, picked up about 2 months ago. Based on previous threads, I made sure to look for the step - not installed on delivery day. When I mentioned it to dealer they told me it was not included as part of BUG. I made them go to the website and walk through a build which listed the step. They agreed with me ordered the step (I made sure it was part of paperwork when signing) and it was installed about a month later.

I also received 2 of the BUG keys for Rambox and bed divider at delivery.

skatz5000

Reaction score
I have a factory order 2020 with BUG, picked up about 2 months ago. Based on previous threads, I made sure to look for the step - not installed on delivery day. When I mentioned it to dealer they told me it was not included as part of BUG. I made them go to the website and walk through a build which listed the step. They agreed with me ordered the step (I made sure it was part of paperwork when signing) and it was installed about a month later.

I also received 2 of the BUG keys for Rambox and bed divider at delivery.
That is without the mft correct? In the builder it says not available with mft

Xhumeka

Reaction score
The dealer said that FCA would not approve the corner step. According to them they are worried that people would open the MFT as a barn door and then try to step over it from the corner step and fall and hurt themselves.

This explains everything <facepalm> - thanks for sharing... figures it's "red tape" preventing the combination and not some structural issue!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe the reason they stopped installing them was that they realized they had the wrong design. I have attached a .pdf file of 3 pages. It is a copy of the Customer Preferred Code Guide that my Dealer used when I ordered my Limited in July. On the second page of the attachment you will see that the Bed Utility Group (ANT) includes the bed step and does not refer to any exceptions. On the 3rd page the Multifunction Tailgate (MWK) only has a N/A W/APO which is Lower Two Tone Paint and N/A W/XM9 which is Delete Spray In Bedliner. So when I ordered, my Dealer had no access to any notice that a Bed Step would not be installed with the Multifunction Tailgate.

Any chance you have pages 2-7 (options for the 20 Laramie)?

Users who are viewing this thread