5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For my use which truck/engine?

artgluck99

Reaction score
My business had a 2013 Ram 3500 Diesel with a 12' stake body. The truck was awesome for delivering steel and plowing all winter long. We sold it with 125K on it, and I bought a brand newFord 2500 gas truck. The Ford (bought brand new) had a new transmission put in at 7,236 miles (obviously under warranty) and now at 30K miles the truck has lots of electronic issues and the new transmission feels like its going to go in the near future.
The next truck im getting is going to be a ram. It is going to be a diesel. I don't know if I fall in the 2500 or 3500 category. If I fall in the 3500 category I don't know if there is any logic to me getting the high output cummins or just getting the standard one? This truck is going to be a daily driver, both country roads and highways. This truck would be a tradesman level truck, it is not going to be all dressed up or pretty looking. This truck has 2 work tasks-
-Must be able to carry 4000 lbs or more on it. Sometimes the truck would be loaded up every day for several weeks during the work day.
-Must be able to push snow better than a 400 horsepower gas truck (that part is obviously a joke)

Main question, 2500 or 3500? Does one treat the passengers better? Are there certain options that people consider must have that a non educated truck buyer wouldn't know about?

Thanks,
Woody

spaightlabs

Reaction score
My business had a 2013 Ram 3500 Diesel with a 12' stake body. The truck was awesome for delivering steel and plowing all winter long. We sold it with 125K on it, and I bought a brand newFord 2500 gas truck. The Ford (bought brand new) had a new transmission put in at 7,236 miles (obviously under warranty) and now at 30K miles the truck has lots of electronic issues and the new transmission feels like its going to go in the near future.
The next truck im getting is going to be a ram. It is going to be a diesel. I don't know if I fall in the 2500 or 3500 category. If I fall in the 3500 category I don't know if there is any logic to me getting the high output cummins or just getting the standard one? This truck is going to be a daily driver, both country roads and highways. This truck would be a tradesman level truck, it is not going to be all dressed up or pretty looking. This truck has 2 work tasks-
-Must be able to carry 4000 lbs or more on it. Sometimes the truck would be loaded up every day for several weeks during the work day.
-Must be able to push snow better than a 400 horsepower gas truck (that part is obviously a joke)

Main question, 2500 or 3500? Does one treat the passengers better? Are there certain options that people consider must have that a non educated truck buyer wouldn't know about?

Thanks,
Woody

Loaded that 3500 will ride like a dream. Empty, she's gonna kick back a bit, but wo will the 2500.

I'd say you'd be just fine with the standard Cummins, but if you are the kind of guy that will be thinking for the next 5 years that you shoulda got the HO, go for it...You can never be too fit, too good looking, too rich, or have too much torque and HP!

artgluck99

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was concerned that the 2500 would get closer to the max payload where the 3500 would always be able to carry more than I was ever going to put on it.....
Does a empty 2500 ride better than a empty 3500?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was concerned that the 2500 would get closer to the max payload where the 3500 would always be able to carry more than I was ever going to put on it.....
Does a empty 2500 ride better than a empty 3500?
From the sounds of things, I'd expect the 3500 to be a better fit for you. It will probably ride a little worse than the 2500, but I can't believe it would be any worse than the old 2013 3500 you had two trucks ago.

The only logic for choosing the HO diesel is, how much power do you want/need. Unless you're towing extremely heavy loads, you probably don't need it, but you may still want it :) just test drive a 2500 and 3500 HO to get a better idea.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Every time I was given the choice, I always choose more power. That 1000 pound feet of torque will be awesome. I know that’s how I would choose if I needed a 3500 but I would choose the Longhorn too unless employees are driving it.

artgluck99

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the responses. I probably dont need the ho diesel, and the 3500 recommendation makes sense from the charts I've seen. Only 1 worker will drive this besides me, hes a older conservative guy who takes care of our trucks far better than anyone we've ever had driving. He brings his own floormats and takes them out everyday...... is the tradesman not a good option? I was thinking of adding the cloth seats and maybe a better stereo. I'm open to suggestions but I dont want true luxury options. (Well I do I just dont think it looks good for a owner to have a super nice truck when a good enough truck would do. Just my personal opinion, if you own a company do whatever u think is right)

Users who are viewing this thread