5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footwell lights

hydrant328

Reaction score
Just noticed on my 4 month old 2020 bighorn 1500, that there are lights in the driver and front passenger footwell. If you dim the dash lights they dim, and if you brighten out the dash all the way they go out. Anyone else just notice these?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. In all honesty, my Laramie came with these and they work as designed.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045501 miles.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They should go off, like your dome light, within a few seconds after you close your door. And if working properly, LEDS really light up the interior. It is a simple job to replace the footwell bulbs with LEDS and completely changes the interior look.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only driven my truck a few times at night and it seems there's a footwell ambient light that I noticed when I started driving. Granted, I didn't pay attention to how long they stay on, or if they stay on, but I don't need to see my shoes with peripheral vision while driving. The only lights I really want to see on my interior are for the buttons I may need to push. I noticed a light shining down into the console from the overhead console, also. I don't need my console to glow when I'm driving. I only need to see in my console when I'm looking for something, and then I can turn on the light.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your rotary dial switch or switches (depending upon trim level) to the left of the steering wheel and your owners manual...if that doesn’t solve the problem then you may need to visit your dealer.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What am I supposed to be looking for? If the ambient light from the overhead console shines down with a mild light and the footwell has an always on ambient light, then they are working as designed. I'm asking if the footwell ambient lights can be disabled. Please note that I am not referring to the overhead lights or the footwell lights that light up the interior when you open the door. I'm referring to the ambient lights that remain even when driving.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I do t like the footwell lights either.
At least on my Laramie, there is a rotary dial on the dash to the lower left side of the steering wheel. It looks like 1 dial but it is actually 2. One dims the dash lights. The second dims the footwell lights.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should have two rotary switches on the dash to the left of the steering wheel . 1 is for the dash lights and one is for the ambient lights . You can adjust how bright or dim you want them including off .

Keezer

Reaction score
They should go off, like your dome light, within a few seconds after you close your door. And if working properly, LEDS really light up the interior. It is a simple job to replace the footwell bulbs with LEDS and completely changes the interior look.
Any idea what you can replace them with? On a 2020 Laramie they have the LED soldered to the plug inside a clip on plastic housing, just the tip of the plastic cover sticks out of the housing, nothing like the 2019's.
You can disconnect the wire easy but need the whole housing to replace.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a '21 Rebel with only a single dial next to the headlight switch. If I turn it down, it turns down the entire instrument cluster.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea what you can replace them with? On a 2020 Laramie they have the LED soldered to the plug inside a clip on plastic housing, just the tip of the plastic cover sticks out of the housing, nothing like the 2019's.
You can disconnect the wire easy but need the whole housing to replace.
I was referring to the OP as he has a Big Horn which like my Lone Star comes factory with incandescent footwell, map and dome lights. I replaced all mine with Lasfit (www.Lasfit.com) and they have been flawless but are made in China. If I were to do it again, I’d keep Americans employed and go with Diode Dynamics as their products are made in the USA.

ckearns54

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Rebel with same issue. When I turn down the cluster the floorwell lights come on. Also only have one dial next to steering wheel. It's a pain

ckearns54

Reaction score
Just noticed on my 4 month old 2020 bighorn 1500, that there are lights in the driver and front passenger footwell. If you dim the dash lights they dim, and if you brighten out the dash all the way they go out. Anyone else just notice these?
Did you ever figure it out?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many have said to replace the single dial with a dual dial assembly from the Limited. Then use AphaOBD to enable the dial to adjust the ambient lights. I bought the dial assembly 2 years ago but still haven't enabled the feature with AlphaOBD. I don't have a copy and I've been too lazy to buy it and learn how to use it.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Many have said to replace the single dial with a dual dial assembly from the Limited. Then use AphaOBD to enable the dial to adjust the ambient lights. I bought the dial assembly 2 years ago but still haven't enabled the feature with AlphaOBD. I don't have a copy and I've been too lazy to buy it and learn how to use it.
Good to know I'm not alone in this world.
1689283198120.png

Users who are viewing this thread