5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foot Injury By Step

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
When releasing the Deployable Bed Step by Mopar on my 2021 Ram it springs up so fast & with such force that my toes were caught between it & the bumper for a period of time. I could not reach the deployment lever to release my toes while on one foot leaning forward. I finally had no choice but to jerk my foot free. I took photos of the injured foot to document the experience & to warn others to be aware it can happen. I called customer service & they said I was their first reported incident & perhaps I should see a dealer for possible adjustment of the spring.

Attachments

• 20210422_170814.jpg
    20210422_170814.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 76

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh my. I’m sorry about that but were you deploying it (having it come down), or were you stowing it (having it go up)? For my MFT step, which is in the middle, I put my foot on top of the step pad and push down and towards me when deploying, and when I want to stow it; I put my foot under the bottom and push towards the bumper (away from me). I believe the normal tailgate Step (ie the corner design) is the same operation.

So I’m not sure how that could happen under normal operation unless you were trying to deploy it and it sprung back up while your foot was still in between the step and the bumper. That what happened?

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
Oh my. I’m sorry about that but were you deploying it (having it come down), or were you stowing it (having it go up)? For my MFT step, which is in the middle, I put my foot on top of the step pad and push down and towards me when deploying, and when I want to stow it; I put my foot under the bottom and push towards the bumper (away from me). I believe the normal tailgate Step (ie the corner design) is the same operation.

So I’m not sure how that could happen under normal operation unless you were trying to deploy it and it sprung back up while your foot was still in between the step and the bumper. That what happened?
I was attempting to stow it. Guess my foot was in the wrong place but it moves like a bear trap.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When releasing the Deployable Bed Step by Mopar on my 2021 Ram it springs up so fast & with such force that my toes were caught between it & the bumper for a period of time. I could not reach the deployment lever to release my toes while on one foot leaning forward. I finally had no choice but to jerk my foot free. I took photos of the injured foot to document the experience & to warn others to be aware it can happen. I called customer service & they said I was their first reported incident & perhaps I should see a dealer for possible adjustment of the spring.
If that was my wife’s foot, I would ask, how my truck! is it ok. Lol

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why I only push the thing in with the outside of my leg. Closing it with my foot feels awkward and like something similar to this could happen. Sorry to see it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is yours the center step or the corner step? Either way it's not something I would not operate with bare feet. I've been a little wary of that thing since installing it. If it wasn't so handy I'd probably just remove the thing. Mine is the corner step, and it lightly hits the exhaust resonator every time it slams home. So I've resorted to retracting it slowly and carefully with my hands.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is yours the center step or the corner step? Either way it's not something I would not operate with bare feet. I've been a little wary of that thing since installing it. If it wasn't so handy I'd probably just remove the thing. Mine is the corner step, and it lightly hits the exhaust resonator every time it slams home. So I've resorted to retracting it slowly and carefully with my hands.
I use mine the same exact way. I never open or close it with my foot. Mine slams back and whacks my magnaflow exhaust pretty good if I don’t control it some going back in. I could see how your toes could get caught if you closed it with too much of your foot from the very front of the step

Users who are viewing this thread