5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Lemon Ram PTSD. Input please.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
It's not a mopar thing, my wifes Jag XF does it but only at certain gas stations. Exxon causes her nothing but grief however I can take the car to a Quick Trip and fill it with no stopping. My truck rarely has the issue but when it does, it's the gas station pump handle.
One Costco I fill up at added more pump islands, everytime I use those pumps, it shuts off unless I hold the back of the pump handle up as high as it can go however the other handles need no attention at all.
I dont believe its a fuel tank issue as much as its a fuel pump handle issue

I think it's a combo of both. You're not wrong. I only go to the same 2-3 stations most of the time. I honestly haven't had the issue (knock wood) in a very long time. Other times, at stations I don't normally go to, it happens to the point where you almost can't fill the tank.

It definitely is somewhat a Mopar and maybe Jaguar thing. But to your point, poorly maintained filler nozzle assemblies don't help.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it's a combo of both. You're not wrong. I only go to the same 2-3 stations most of the time. I honestly haven't had the issue (knock wood) in a very long time. Other times, at stations I don't normally go to, it happens to the point where you almost can't fill the tank.

It definitely is somewhat a Mopar and maybe Jaguar thing. But to your point, poorly maintained filler nozzle assemblies don't help.

I don't know if its poorly maintained or some new EPA crap that's changed the handles. I filled up today and it didn't shut off at all. I know if I had gone one island over where they installed the new handles, its exactly as you say, 5 seconds of refueling then click; over and over and over.
Its certainly annoying as F when it happens

oyebon

Reaction score
Mine only has the fuel fill shutoff bug now and then. However, I have the 33 gallon tank and I think for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to happen as much with the 33.

My 19' Rebel went through all the fun issues. Various leaks, cracked rear window frame, bad e-torque, bad battery, and I just had the passenger side exhaust manifold replaced.

Here's my take:

- I absolutely under no circumstances want a 4/6 cylinder turbo motor in a truck. Whether it's the new Hurricane, Ford Eco series, etc.
- I hate the E-torque. I have it, wish I didn't, and realize it's probably going to be replaced again at some point. Truck was a demo and it had it so I can't beat myself up over it.

With that being said, you're stuck in a spot because only the 2019-2022's can be found without, and they still have a lot of the bugs of the early model years (cracking rear window frames, leaks, exhaust manifolds, etc.) The E-torque is not my favorite but they are very good about fixing under warranty and the parts are less expensive now.

My vote is try to find a 2024 with the 5.7L before they are all gone. The only issue I know of that still exists is the exhaust manifolds. I'd rather replace e-torque components than turbos, intercoolers, and internal engine parts worn out from forced induction.

I ended up buying my truck because I needed a 3rd vehicle for the house and saw the writing on the wall. I will likely drive it till it dies and then see where the world is at then. Maybe by then we will have V8's in the 1500's again? If not I'd consider going up to a 1500.

Dodge really disappointed me with the 2025. They went from pushing e-torque in the hemi in 19-22, mandatory in 23-24 with the hemi, to completely axing the hemi in 2025.
Im new on this tread, just got my 5.7 hemi with etorque and sounds scary to drive; like does it really just shut off randomly in traffic?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in a rental car almost weekly and I'd say 30% of them have fueling issues.

I'm top tier with national so I get to pick from lots of nice cars depending on the airport size. Doesn't matter if it's an Audi or Nissan, they all can have have issues. I usually blame the pump.

smashweights

Reaction score
FWIW, all the "more to go wrong" with the eTorque concerns seem unfounded. I've been here since I got my 2019 in 2019 and there's been plenty of recurrent problem threads (leaky rear window, dash bubbles, glitchy uConnect, cracked manifolds, fueling issue, bad factory starting battery, etc) but I've rarely seen threads about eTorque causing a problem or needing replaced aside from the folks who just hate the stop/start, it's the longest warranted parts in the truck. Most who have it, myself included, will tell you it probably doesn't help much but it's not problematic.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Im new on this tread, just got my 5.7 hemi with etorque and sounds scary to drive; like does it really just shut off randomly in traffic?

If by "turning off randomly in traffic" you mean at a stop light? Yes. It's not a big deal. I find it does not do it as often as other cars with auto-stop/start. It also restarts much quicker because it uses the eTorque motor.

I'd rather not have it but in terms of daily use, its not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread