5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folding mirrors question

abrink41

Reaction score
Is there a setting somewhere that will fold my mirrors in when I turn the truck off? I know I can do it manually, but it seems like there should be a setting somewhere I just cannot find it. Thanks in advance.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a setting somewhere that will fold my mirrors in when I turn the truck off? I know I can do it manually, but it seems like there should be a setting somewhere I just cannot find it. Thanks in advance.
Nope.

KCViper

Reaction score
This is the first question I asked when buying my truck. Have no idea why Ram choose not to include this ability as so many other manufacturers have. There has to be a reason, but why??

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is the first question I asked when buying my truck. Have no idea why Ram choose not to include this ability as so many other manufacturers have. There has to be a reason, but why??
I'll tell you why. It's because the mirrors have plastic gears that would shear away within a few weeks if you fold them every time you lock the truck.
You're welcome. ;)

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 1998 Trans Am had plastic gears in the pop up headlights. Replaced them several times in about 20 years. They kept stripping. PITA.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Um, so does MB, Audi, Porsche, etc, etc use "titanium" gears or something that Ram can't get?? 😁
I've had MB, Audi and BMWs which folded every time I parked, and never once had an issue. I am betting the plastic on the RAM's mirrors is either bottom of the barrel quality or a bad design, otherwise there would't so many similar failures across this forum.

KCViper

Reaction score
I've had MB, Audi and BMWs which folded every time I parked, and never once had an issue. I am betting the plastic on the RAM's mirrors is either bottom of the barrel quality or a bad design, otherwise there would't so many similar failures across this forum.
Same here....never had a mirror problem with my MB, Porsche!

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
on the flip side I have never had a problem not folding my mirrors every time I parked. Must be something if you do a lot of on street or parking garage parking...or maybe I just don't go anywhere these days. LOL!

Jackpot50

Reaction score
I'll tell you why. It's because the mirrors have plastic gears that would shear away within a few weeks if you fold them every time you lock the truck.
You're welcome. ;)
have done the mirrors every day foe 3 months some times 3 times, well will find out how good gears a

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use my power mirrors 3 to 4 times a day going in and out of my garage for the last year and a half. That would be over 1000 times my powers mirrors have been used. Maybe I'm on borrowed time but they work like new

bpwj76

Reaction score
I used the power folding function on my F150 several times a day for 3 years and never had a problem. Same with this Ram, although I've only owned it for 3 months. I plan to continue to use them though.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody do this in climates that get cold for long periods of time? Cold as in 10-15 degrees (f) and cooler for several weeks or months? I always wonder how things like this, or the power running boards, hold up and work during prolonged freezes, especially with snow and ice frequently being present. Guess I will find out on the running boards next winter, when I have my new longhorn for its first winter.

I wonder the same thing about some cars I've started to see with "pop down" back up cameras, thinking that sometimes the owner will have to very carefully chisel out that camera if they want to use it. And it not, if it's frozen in place, are those gears still trying to flip it down the entire time you are in reverse?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're welcome. ;)
Been folding them multiple times per day for almost 1.5yrs and 20k miles. No issues so far. (y)

Brow

Reaction score
Anybody do this in climates that get cold for long periods of time? Cold as in 10-15 degrees (f) and cooler for several weeks or months? I always wonder how things like this, or the power running boards, hold up and work during prolonged freezes, especially with snow and ice frequently being present. Guess I will find out on the running boards next winter, when I have my new longhorn for its first winter.

I wonder the same thing about some cars I've started to see with "pop down" back up cameras, thinking that sometimes the owner will have to very carefully chisel out that camera if they want to use it. And it not, if it's frozen in place, are those gears still trying to flip it down the entire time you are in reverse?

Yes, went all winter here in Minnesota doing it every day. no issues at all, my garage is unheated and their were some -10 and -20 F weeks here. I havent tried them caked in ice, I would probably avoid that, but just temperature has had no effect on them.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Concerning the Ice, they make a popping sound and don't move.. broke up the ice, pressed the button, and they worked fine. They were folded in, it was during a storm, and I had thought I got all the ice off them.. guess not! Had me worried, but I guess there is some sort of failsafe if the mirror cannot move in or out.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, went all winter here in Minnesota doing it every day. no issues at all, my garage is unheated and their were some -10 and -20 F weeks here. I havent tried them caked in ice, I would probably avoid that, but just temperature has had no effect on them.
Concerning the Ice, they make a popping sound and don't move.. broke up the ice, pressed the button, and they worked fine. They were folded in, it was during a storm, and I had thought I got all the ice off them.. guess not! Had me worried, but I guess there is some sort of failsafe if the mirror cannot move in or out.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! @JF19Longhorn , any issues with the power boards at all during those conditions?

I typically don't have a need to fold the mirrors in so they will likely stay out most of the time. However, a scenario like was described above where they are folded in and we get unexpected snow/ice, or during a big storm, made me wonder how they would do.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! @JF19Longhorn , any issues with the power boards at all during those conditions?

I typically don't have a need to fold the mirrors in so they will likely stay out most of the time. However, a scenario like was described above where they are folded in and we get unexpected snow/ice, or during a big storm, made me wonder how they would do.

Nope, no issues in the cold at all.

They did get alittle noisy a month or so ago.. guessing from exposure to the elements, mainly rain. Shot them with Lithium spray I had laying around and they seem fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread