5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fog lights on with high beams?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious if there’s an easy way to have the fog lights on with the high beams for maximum visibility. On my old truck (Colorado) I was able to jump relays with a short wire that I made. What are my options on the ram?

Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. Was hoping to be able to do it without buying a tuner or expensive software.

JayBuchanan

Reaction score
DT Tazer can enable that feature but there isn't a setting you can change to do this.

DT Tazer also allows auto fold mirrors when you park and recalls auto stop/start so you don’t have to disable it every time.

Jay Buchanan
21 RAM 1500 Limited
Harmon Kardon Stereo
JL Audio VX600/1i
JL Audio StealthBox

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DT Tazer also allows auto fold mirrors when you park and recalls auto stop/start so you don’t have to disable it every time.

Jay Buchanan
21 RAM 1500 Limited
Harmon Kardon Stereo
JL Audio VX600/1i
JL Audio StealthBox

Correct. The DT Tazer has many features it can do when plugged in.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So there’s no relay for the just the fog lights? Everything’s ecu controlled?

what options does the Alfa let you change since it’s for 2017?

bskubon

Reaction score
Can the AlfaOBD folks point me to where this setting is? For keeping the fog lights on with high beams. Thanks

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So there’s no relay for the just the fog lights? Everything’s ecu controlled?

what options does the Alfa let you change since it’s for 2017?
Well, I don't know about the 2017 since this is the 5th Gen site. Just search fog in AlfaODB and look for drop out. And yes, on the 5th Gens, nearly everything is control by the BCM and the other computer systems.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I prob won’t be paying $300 just to make the fog lights stay on. Maybe if I get bigger tires later on.

Do you think the dealer can program it? Just thinking if It’s in the shop for another reason.

mtehonica

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I prob won’t be paying $300 just to make the fog lights stay on. Maybe if I get bigger tires later on.

Do you think the dealer can program it? Just thinking if It’s in the shop for another reason.
The fog light drop out is a law in most states so doubt the dealer would disable it (if they even could).

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Using AlfaOBD you would go to the CBC Features section of your BCM and change this setting:

Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enabled: Yes

Change the Yes to No and your fogs stay on with your high beams.

I have done that but only use the high beams/fog lights combo off-roading.

As mtehonica said this is not legal on public roads so no dealer is going to change that for you (or any other BCM setting for that matter). Your truck comes with a specific setup for each computer that is either specific to the vehicle model or specific to your VIN. If the dealership changes anything then they would have to update that with FCA (if they can). Then they would be on the hook for it if something happened (caused an issue or you get a ticket) and I'm sure they don't want that liability.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
eh, ill just leave it as is for now. Was just hoping for an cheap/easy way. Thanks everone

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eh, ill just leave it as is for now. Was just hoping for an cheap/easy way. Thanks everone
Unfortunately newer vehicles are all computer controlled.

Gone are the days where you could cut the blue wire or splice into the green wire for $3 in parts and 15 minutes of your time to "personalize" your vehicle. Now it takes bypasses, software, transmitters, etc.

redneck

Reaction score
the bcm should not send power directly to the fog lights it should trigger a relay or something to handle the higher current. my gmc sierra had this set up & once you find the hi beam relay & foglight relay you can put a jumper in their but i used a small resistor to prevent feed back to the hibeam relay. i know exactly what you are asking & i have not had time to investigate it yet my truck is only 2 weeks old

Users who are viewing this thread