5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fog Lights On/Off

Mshane

Reaction score
So here is my "i'm new here" post about the 2020 Laramie that I just bought. Yes I have used the search function and apparently can't find the correct key words to use to get my answer. Is there a way to have the fog lights on when the main headlight control is on Auto? I notice that the fog light button is basically inactive when the main is set to auto. If I turn the switch off of auto then I can toggle the fogs on and off with the button in the main headlight dial. Coming from a 2008 Tundra the Ram is like a spaceship inside. To say I am impressed is an understatement. 22_Exterior_1.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is no way to control the fogs when in auto. Outside of turning them on or off when the headlights are on at dark.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yes. If you have your headlights in AUTO, push the fog light button and it will stay in the ON position until it is pushed again and will come on each time your headlights come on. If you want your fog lights to stay on with the high beams, you'll have to make a change in the BCM with a program like AlfaOBD.

Mshane

Reaction score
Yes. If you have your headlights in AUTO, push the fog light button and it will stay in the ON position until it is pushed again and will come on each time your headlights come on. If you want your fog lights to stay on with the high beams, you'll have to make a change in the BCM with a program like AlfaOBD

I want the fogs on during the day as well even when my headlights are off. Don't care about the fogs being on when the high beams are on. I believe that is not possible according to the post above yours.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I want the fogs on during the day as well even when my headlights are off. Don't care about the fogs being on when the high beams are on. I believe that is not possible according to the post above yours.

I suppose you could have mentioned that you wanted them on in the daytime with the headlights off. 🙄

Mshane

Reaction score
I suppose you could have mentioned that you wanted them on in the daytime with the headlights off. 🙄
Yeah I guess you're right about that... Sorry Anyhow it would appear that is not possible. Other than that the only gripe I have with this truck is the reverse lights and I am remedying that with a new set of LED backup bulbs from Headlight Revolution.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Yeah I guess you're right about that... Sorry Anyhow it would appear that is not possible. Other than that the only gripe I have with this truck is the reverse lights and I am remedying that with a new set of LED backup bulbs from Headlight Revolution.

The taillights are a sealed unit. You cannot swap bulbs in them. You’d have to do a reverse light modification. And add additional lights. There’s several threads on the subject if you do a search.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can just change your DRL to your fog lights if that is what you want using Alfaobd.

CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location: Fog Lamp DRL
Personally I use my amber blinkers for my DRL though.

Mshane

Reaction score
The taillights are a sealed unit. You cannot swap bulbs in them. You’d have to do a reverse light modification. And add additional lights. There’s several threads on the subject if you do a search.
I’ve seen several different videos on Youtube showing swapping out rear bulbs in the 2020 Ram. I did see a bunch of those threads adding the LEDs on the back of the truck but then I started searching and found those videos. For example
2020 Tail Light

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Taillights would only be a sealed unit if it already had LEDs. Sound alike OP has halogen, which means he can swap the bulbs out for LEDs if he wanted. Not sure if I missed something?

Mshane

Reaction score
Taillights would only be a sealed unit if it already had LEDs. Sound alike OP has halogen, which means he can swap the bulbs out for LEDs if he wanted. Not sure if I missed something?
So my truck has the LEDs because the headlights say RAM LED. Does that mean that the tails are LED as well? Guessing so and that would be the sealed tail light? Don’t know much about this truck yet. Coming from a 08 Tundra.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can just change your DRL to your fog lights if that is what you want using Alfaobd.

CBC Features: DRL Lamp Location: Fog Lamp DRL
Personally I use my amber blinkers for my DRL though.
Does this work for you? It didn't for me.
I can only get the turn signals or low beams to work as DRLs.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does this work for you? It didn't for me.
I can only get the turn signals or low beams to work as DRLs.
It should but I don't recall setting mine to fogs as I the regular DRL, or any other light in front looks better then keeping fog lights on 24/7

So my truck has the LEDs because the headlights say RAM LED. Does that mean that the tails are LED as well? Guessing so and that would be the sealed tail light?
I don't know but I would assume so. I mean just look at your taillights, do they look like orange halogen bulbs, or white white LEDs. It's not really close.
You would be better off replacing the entire taillight and find one that you like more then cracking them open as it's likely to just be an LED board, not a hot swapping plug like a halogen would be.
I have after market led on a differnet truck taillights but the reverse light was a bulb, so I was able to swap it out for an LED bulb that was way brighter.

1500DFW

Reaction score
If that’s your truck in the picture you have LEDs. You can’t swap bulbs in the taillights. You’re gonna have to add additional reverse lights.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
So my truck has the LEDs because the headlights say RAM LED. Does that mean that the tails are LED as well? Guessing so and that would be the sealed tail light? Don’t know much about this truck yet. Coming from a 08 Tundra.

Yep, you have LED taillights.

I made the same change myself. This forum has been an invaluable resource for the transition.

20130911_175853.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online