5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOB NOT DETECTED

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Wife has a 5th Gen 2019 RAM 1500 4wd Bighorn and as of about 2 months ago, it continually started to tell us ‘FOB NOT DETECTED’ while trying to start it, as well as ‘FOB HAS LEFT VEHICLE’ while driving. The Dealer service department confirmed the 2 Fobs were not the issue as well as the Shark Antenna (don't ask why they changed it). They also claim the RF Mod is not the culprit. It has been at the dealership garage for 12 days now. ..........Has anyone had this issue happen to them??

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I haven't had that kind of issue, but here's a thought, are the batteries in the Fobs fresh and putting out the proper voltage.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw where you said they had said that. I only brought it up as another car I have had an issue not recognizing the key fob. And this was about a month after I put in new batteries. It turns out the batteries were old stock and the voltage dropped quickly. I made sure the next set of batteries were new stock and that fixed the problem.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
You haven't by any chance changed out the bed lights and the 3rd brake light to LED? Those are know areas to cause a problem with the key fob.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You haven't by any chance changed out the bed lights and the 3rd brake light to LED? Those are know areas to cause a problem with the key fob.

Yup, +1 for this question.

Also, just because the FOBs appear to be in perfect working order doesn't mean they are not on the edge, just low enough to sometimes cause issues. I'd replace the batteries in them anyway, just to make sure; pretty inexpensive test.

I've had many a FOB work fine 90+% of the time, only to discover the reason why they don't work 10% of the time was a semi-low battery.

NWRogue

Reaction score
i have this problem every now and again. my solution - open the drivers door, shut it, wait for the power step to retract, start truck. works every time.

bell_32

Reaction score
I’m having this issue as well and recently changed my 3rd brake light to LED. Why would that cause an issue with the fob? Is there another topic that discusses this?
Thanks

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I installed Lasfit LED bulbs yesterday in the cargo lights and the high mount brake light. This morning I got the Key not detected message. I took out the brake light and installed the original bulb and now everything is back to normal. Like someone else said I'm fine with the brake light not being LED so I will keep it that way.
This forum on the Key Fob issues with the LED CHMSL, particularly with the Lasfit bulb, will tell you all about our adventures with changing it out to LED.

Srcargill

Reaction score
Lasfit changed their site to not recommending the T15 Red for your 3RD Brake Light, https://www.lasfit.com/collections/...stop-dome-reverse-trunk-light-bulbs-6000k-red.
It how recommends - https://www.lasfit.com/products/can...sule-headlamps~dz_cargo-light-3rd-brake-light.
This is more expensive but it supposed to solve the issue with key fobs not being detected.

I purchased a week ago before the bulb recommendation change, had issues with my key fob, and they contacted me after my purchase to see my satisfaction. I appreciate this proactive communication btw and they are offering me for $10 to get the upgraded version, shipping included. So a decent fix by them but this thread has been going on for awhile. Surprised it took them this long to fully switch the type of bulb they recommend.

Love all the Lasfit LED bulbs I have purchased!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online