5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FOB magnetic storage

JT3

Reaction score
Hey 5thgenrams. First post.
I just joined the RAM family last week. Replaced my 2010 Ford Expedition (involuntarily). Was a little bummed losing my Expedition (pic) but couldn't be happier, 1500 Laramie is awesome.
Actually a lot of the comments and input on this forum helped me make the choice. Glad I did and thanks. Quick question: I've always kept a spare key in a protected comma magnetic key holder a fixed to my chassis underneath the car. It saved me many times. Never did it with a fob though. If I stuck it somewhere on the chasis towards the rear, would it be far enough away to not cause any problems or confusion in using my primary FOB? Don't want the truck to randomly unlock when I'm away from it or not unlock thinking a FOB is already inside, etc....
Thanks for y'all's feedback in advance.

Attachments

• Attach9423_20200107_125751~2.jpg
    Attach9423_20200107_125751~2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210213_132610.jpg
    20210213_132610.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 40

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmmm, the fob communicates with the truck so unless you had it well wrapped in anti something, I wonder if it would keep triggering your computer and run your battery down. They say to keep it about 20' away if you are leaving it in the house so...
"A battery typically weakens after a year or two. Also, where you store your key fob matters. Leaving it in your car overnight or even on a hook near the car isn't a smart idea. If the fob is too close to your car, it can continue to communicate with it, which could drain the battery .Jan 11, 2019"

Tomcat68

Reaction score
I would just get a copy of the key in there.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, welcome aboard!

As others said, if you want to use a magnetic box to hold the spare on the vehicle, you'll need a good "faraday" pouch/bag to block the signal. Otherwise, yes, it will be close enough for anyone to steal the car, even if you put it in the rear bumper. I also used to do the spare in a magnet box, but stopped after my first keyless start/go system.

The touch unlock/start is awesome, in my opinion, but there are definitely some theft implications you need to be aware of.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the Ram family. I would not attempt to hide the fob. The truck doesn't want to be locked if the fob is inside anyway so just pull out the hard key from one of your fobs and get one cut so you can manually unlock the door with just the key. The truck may alarm if you do this but if by chance you did lock your fob inside you would be able to retrieve it.

Good luck with the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread