5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FML 98 Chevy Silverado

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I consider myself to be a pretty decent shade tree mechanic. There really isn't much I can't/won't do. Have rebuilt the motor in my Dakota R/T multiple times, rebuilt my 1966 poly 318, and a Dodge Spirit R/T DOHC engine. But my stepsons truck, with a 305 Chevy, is absolutely kicking my ***. To start with, the Chevy LT engines you have to pull distributor to remove intake manifold. Okay, I took a pic to make sure it gets back in correctly. Then you have to remove power steering pump pulley in order to get accessory bracket off. And the absolute last straw that has been kicking my *** all f-in day long is I cant get the rear passenger side of the intake manifold to seal up and leaks coolant when I try to fill. Have had the intake manifold off and on 5 or six times today. Been through an entire tube of the right stuff RTV and two different gasket sets and it still MFing leaks coolant. I give up. Have spent two full days on what was supposed to be a simple learning experience for my step-son, on basic mechanics and replacing an intake manifold gasket.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But hey, at least the oil filter isn’t above the steering rack!

Seriously…some days are just rough.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I consider myself to be a pretty decent shade tree mechanic. There really isn't much I can't/won't do. Have rebuilt the motor in my Dakota R/T multiple times, rebuilt my 1966 poly 318, and a Dodge Spirit R/T DOHC engine. But my stepsons truck, with a 305 Chevy, is absolutely kicking my ***. To start with, the Chevy LT engines you have to pull distributor to remove intake manifold. Okay, I took a pic to make sure it gets back in correctly. Then you have to remove power steering pump pulley in order to get accessory bracket off. And the absolute last straw that has been kicking my *** all f-in day long is I cant get the rear passenger side of the intake manifold to seal up and leaks coolant when I try to fill. Have had the intake manifold off and on 5 or six times today. Been through an entire tube of the right stuff RTV and two different gasket sets and it still MFing leaks coolant. I give up. Have spent two full days on what was supposed to be a simple learning experience for my step-son, on basic mechanics and replacing an intake manifold gasket.
That sux man. Can you use a straight edge to make sure the head or the intake manifold isn’t warped? I can’t remember the bolt pattern to tighten down, but maybe make sure that’s done correctly.

Only other thing I can think of right now is doubling up the gaskets and see what that does.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sux man. Can you use a straight edge to make sure the head or the intake manifold isn’t warped? I can’t remember the bolt pattern to tighten down, but maybe make sure that’s done correctly.

Only other thing I can think of right now is doubling up the gaskets and see what that does.
Yep, checked with straight edge,. different gaskets, extra RTV, over torquing......

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
that's messed up. What is the reason for the tear down?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
that's messed up. What is the reason for the tear down?
Intake manifold gasket was leaking coolant in the front. Old gasket was deteriorated around water ports.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Intake manifold gasket was leaking coolant in the front. Old gasket was deteriorated around water ports.
That's a common issue on those engines. I've owned a couple of them in the past (6.0L) and both eventually developed a coolant leak at the front passenger side of the intake manifold. The popular "fix" at the time was to remove the front bolt in that corner, coat it with RTV, and reinstall. It worked for the one I did that on FWIW. I eventually got rid of that truck, but it didn't leak again before trading it in a couple years later.

Edit: NVM, you're talking about a '98 Chevy. The 5.3 and 6.0L didn't come out until a couple years later IIRC. The two trucks I owned with that issue were '04 and '06 models. But then again my memory isn't what it used to be LOL.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe the surfaces are pitted from the water corrosion or something. Not sure if you can machine them. It may cause a mismatch. Maybe a thicker gasket?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe the surfaces are pitted from the water corrosion or something. Not sure if you can machine them. It may cause a mismatch. Maybe a thicker gasket?
My last attempt, I used The Right Stuff RTV around the ports as well as the gasket to hopefully seal up any small gaps there may have been. Let it sit for over two hours (The right Stuff has a 90 minute set up time) and it still leaked

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dang, that really sux. Maybe a local shop can figure it out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, that really sux. Maybe a local shop can figure it out.
Will figure it out. Just frustrating. My nephew is coming over tonight to help. He was in college for GM Mechanic, but dropped out after two years

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will figure it out. Just frustrating. My nephew is coming over tonight to help. He was in college for GM Mechanic, but dropped out after two years
Good luck. I'm curious what the fix is.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 98 Silverado 1500 for 7 years. I enjoyed that truck immensely due to it's unique configuration (5MT V8 RCAB) and due to the period of life (pre-kids, no responsibilities, lots of fun), but objectively speaking.... that thing was a total pile. And it had the same coolant leak that I could never fix and so I just invested in plenty of coolant. Topped off coolant and oil with every gas fillup. Seems mine didnt come with the optional head gasket or piston rings.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck. I'm curious what the fix is.
Found the problem. Took a second set of eyes that knew what they were looking at. I cracked the manifold threading in a new heater hose fitting. Hoping JB weld will save me from having to buy a new manifold

Attachments

• PXL_20230503_001531460.jpg
    PXL_20230503_001531460.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 21

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Found the problem. Took a second set of eyes that knew what they were looking at. I cracked the manifold threading in a new heater hose fitting. Hoping JB weld will save me from having to buy a new manifold
Ouch! That'll do it!

Users who are viewing this thread