5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluids Change Time (Transfer, Differential, Transmission)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was reading a threat on this earlier today and can't find it now. I think the ATF fluid to use is called Amsoil OE Efficient or something along those lines.

mtjag

Reaction score
I respect everyone's decision about what they want to put into their vehicle, but it's worth noting that there are many many hundreds of thousands (prob well into the millions) of known miles using Valvoline in the ZF 8speeds...including my last vehicle. (search verndiesel for other evidence). Surely there are plenty more with Amsoil, etc etc...with no failures.

I am a couple months away from doing the same set of services and will undoubtably use Valvoline again. And guess what...ZF doesn't make transmission fluid either, they contract it out to fluid manufacturers...ya know...like Valvoline. (no, i'm not saying Valvo makes the zf-branded fluid!)

Yes there are options outside of MOPAR and ZF. Yes they are safe. Just don't FLUSH your tranny....drain and fill only.
Question: I was going to take my Ram into a ASE certified mechanic I use and he told me he would need to flush the transmission to get the fluid out of the torque converter. Is that not the case? Asking because you said not to flush the tranny. Thanks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Question: I was going to take my Ram into a ASE certified mechanic I use and he told me he would need to flush the transmission to get the fluid out of the torque converter. Is that not the case? Asking because you said not to flush the tranny. Thanks.
From what I understand is you never need a flush unless you have problems.
Doing a flush can cause problems in itself.

Can just drain what you got, and get rid of the junk and have a little old oil in, or preform a empty, fill, empty, and fill.
Could even put the filtered old oil back in.

IMO I would just have him drain whatever comes out and fill it back up to the proper amount (oil needs to be warm to get correct fill amount)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A filter replacement will not remove all the fluids in the transmission. A fluid exchange will replace all the fluid 1:1. I have done many of both and never an issue with this transmission. I exchanged more fluid than filter replacements on these. It's a choice a customer gets to make.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't want a "flush" as it can cause problems. A drain and fill, with filter replacement is good enough for most people.

A fluid "exchange" as CBTY mentioned is a different procedure that doesn't force fluid through the transmission and will completely replace all the fluid, but it takes more fluid for tht procedure

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, hang on a sec. There are two different machines that "flush" the transmission and lines. One is a "power flush" machine that forces fresh fluid through the system. The other is a machine that simply connects to the truck and allows the truck's pump to cycle fresh fluid through. The former is the kind that earned the bad reputation. The latter is the way you want it done.

You can just change the pan/filter and refill. But you'd have to do it a few times to get all the fluid changed out. A proper pan/filter install AND flush using the truck's pump is the best way to do it.

Edit: Never mind, HSKR beat me to it. :)

mtjag

Reaction score
So, from the answers I got, it appears just a filter and replace fluid is ok and avoid a flush. That being the case, how often do I need to do that? If I want a complete flush, I need to make sure the shop doesn't use a separate pressure pump to do it. Is that right? The pricing I've got thus for is between $730-$1000. I don't want to have to do that frequently, but I do use this truck for towing a 5800# camper.

Last edited:

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Comparing a laptop to a transmission is even worse the apples to oranges. And either way, once the warsntybis expired, you can ***** till you are blue in the face, but the manufacturer could care less about what you say.

If you never change your transmission fluid, which, like any other fluid in your vehicle, has a usable life, then premature failure is on you as the owner. If you don't feel transmission fluid wears kutz then you are the fool
I had 500,000 km on my 05 ram and never change the transmission or transfer case fluids, ran perfectly. Sold the truck when I got my new 2022. If you have a transmission cooler it helps alot.

Users who are viewing this thread