5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluids Change Time (Transfer, Differential, Transmission)

tac63

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

My 2019 is now at fluid service intervals, or a little past and needing to do a full fluids swap. Truck has 110k on it (lots of highway for work) so looking to start service. Truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 (new body style) with the Hemi (not etorque), 8HP75 transmission, and 3.21 limited slip rear). I am looking for recommendations for fluids specifically.

For the transmission I have a PPE HD pan that I am planning to swap to (for the easier fill/drain and filter swaps) and then was considering Amsoil Signature ATF Fluid to replace the factory fluid. I see conflicting reports that the Amsoil fluid is better than OEM, or that the ZF or Mopar is best, or that Redline is best. I'm not worried about spending a little more for a better fluid, just want the best fluid for the application.

For the front differential, I am looking at the Redline 75W85 GL5, or Amsoil 75W90. Thinking the redline is the better way to go?

For the rear differential, I am looking at the Amsoil 75W90 Gear Oil with a 4oz additive of Mopar MS-10111.

For the transfer case, I am looking at Ravenol BW44? Not sure the best fluid here or the capacity needed.

Looking for any advice on fluids to get for all above or at least confirmation that these are safe routes to go.

Thanks!

gmantwo

Reaction score
Well, I would like to know the same information on the transmission fluid

Reverse

Reaction score
Fluids: follow manufacturer specs
Interval: see above

FYI: We have over 200,000 miles on our 2014 and have never changed transmission fluid. I understand the peace of mind you will get from changing it, I just wanted to add a data point.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fluids: follow manufacturer specs
Interval: see above

FYI: We have over 200,000 miles on our 2014 and have never changed transmission fluid. I understand the peace of mind you will get from changing it, I just wanted to add a data point.
Manufacturer of truck, or manufacturer of the transmission? Cause they are different.

Richkey85

Reaction score
For the gear oil I did Amsoil, and for the transmission and transfer case I did the Valvoline max life (red bottle) ATF.
I also changed the Transmission oil pan to the Doorman one so I only have to replace the filter the next time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the gear oil I did Amsoil, and for the transmission and transfer case I did the Valvoline max life (red bottle) ATF.
I also changed the Transmission oil pan to the Doorman one so I only have to replace the filter the next time.
Does the Valvoline ATF carry the correct ratings for the transmission? If not, you could be causing damage to the transmission

23RAM

Reaction score
Manufacturer of truck, or manufacturer of the transmission? Cause they are different.
It's all the same from the consumer's point of view. We don't care where the engine, tranny, diff, t-case, windshield, console stitching, rubber cup holder inserts, or seats come from - it's all from the "manufacturer", and the manufacturer is responsible for the finished product (vehicle). As mentioned, follow the owner's manual - all the required info is there.

Just as a comparison - if you buy a Dell computer, do you think Dell makes all the components? Hint - they don't make much of anything except the badges that say "Dell". But if you have a problem with your keyboard, do you try to figure out who in China made it and complain to them, of do you call Dell and complain? Hint - you call Dell.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Does the Valvoline Maxlife ATF carry the correct ratings for the transmission? If not, you could be causing damage to the transmission
US_Val_MLMultiVehicle_ATF_EN.pdf - DocuSign CLM

I downloaded the above VALVOLINE™ MAXLIFE™ MULTI-VEHICLE TRANSMISSION FLUID product information file.

The second paragraph states “it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid is NOT an OEM licensed product”.

In the Recommended for the following conventional Automatic Transmission applications chart, it lists MAXLIFE ATF as being compatible with Chrysler PN68218925AA and BMW ZF Lifeguardfluid 8.

The Valvoline Maxlife ATF list of compatible transmission is extensive.

For me, I’m using the correct licensed ZF 8 speed ATF fluid when service is performed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all the same from the consumer's point of view. We don't care where the engine, tranny, diff, t-case, windshield, console stitching, rubber cup holder inserts, or seats come from - it's all from the "manufacturer", and the manufacturer is responsible for the finished product (vehicle). As mentioned, follow the owner's manual - all the required info is there.

Just as a comparison - if you buy a Dell computer, do you think Dell makes all the components? Hint - they don't make much of anything except the badges that say "Dell". But if you have a problem with your keyboard, do you try to figure out who in China made it and complain to them, of do you call Dell and complain? Hint - you call Dell.
Comparing a laptop to a transmission is even worse the apples to oranges. And either way, once the warsntybis expired, you can ***** till you are blue in the face, but the manufacturer could care less about what you say.

If you never change your transmission fluid, which, like any other fluid in your vehicle, has a usable life, then premature failure is on you as the owner. If you don't feel transmission fluid wears kutz then you are the fool

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
US_Val_MLMultiVehicle_ATF_EN.pdf - DocuSign CLM

I downloaded the above VALVOLINE™ MAXLIFE™ MULTI-VEHICLE TRANSMISSION FLUID product information file.

The second paragraph states “it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid is NOT an OEM licensed product”.

In the Recommended for the following conventional Automatic Transmission applications chart, it lists MAXLIFE ATF as being compatible with Chrysler PN68218925AA and BMW ZF Lifeguardfluid 8.

The Valvoline Maxlife ATF list of compatible transmission is extensive.

For me, I’m using the correct licensed ZF 8 speed ATF fluid when service is performed.
I would never trust a "universal" fluid. There is no way they an include all the correct additive packages for every manufacturer spec, and be a good long term fluid.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I respect everyone's decision about what they want to put into their vehicle, but it's worth noting that there are many many hundreds of thousands (prob well into the millions) of known miles using Valvoline in the ZF 8speeds...including my last vehicle. (search verndiesel for other evidence). Surely there are plenty more with Amsoil, etc etc...with no failures.

I am a couple months away from doing the same set of services and will undoubtably use Valvoline again. And guess what...ZF doesn't make transmission fluid either, they contract it out to fluid manufacturers...ya know...like Valvoline. (no, i'm not saying Valvo makes the zf-branded fluid!)

Yes there are options outside of MOPAR and ZF. Yes they are safe. Just don't FLUSH your tranny....drain and fill only.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I respect everyone's decision about what they want to put into their vehicle, but it's worth noting that there are many many hundreds of thousands (prob well into the millions) of known miles using Valvoline in the ZF 8speeds...including my last vehicle. (search verndiesel for other evidence). Surely there are plenty more with Amsoil, etc etc...with no failures.

I am a couple months away from doing the same set of services and will undoubtably use Valvoline again. And guess what...ZF doesn't make transmission fluid either, they contract it out to fluid manufacturers...ya know...like Valvoline. (no, i'm not saying Valvo makes the zf-branded fluid!)

Yes there are options outside of MOPAR and ZF. Yes they are safe. Just don't FLUSH your tranny....drain and fill only.
Flushing isn't an issue either as long as they aren't doing s pressure flush, and you also drop the pan and change filter after flushing.

And no, ZF doesn't make trans fluid. But they spec it out. Like the ATF+4 used in the 2000+ Dodge transmissions. In order to use the ATF+4 designation it has to contain the correct additive package specified by Dodge. And there are numerous stories of trans failures in those transmissions from using "universal" or other trans fluid that didn't have the correct additives. I'm just saying use at your own risk. I have never actually bought Mopar trans fluid as there are alternatives that meet the correct specifications

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Transmission manufactures have fluid blends developed specifically for their transmissions. They do this to ensure their product will continue working as designed long after the warranty has expired.

They License this formula to companies that want to produce this Licensed approved fluid and sell it. The company buying the License complies with the license formula and the fee is used to check that they are producing the formula according to the License.

Valvoline purchased the License to produce these blends…ie.. “If an OEM licensed product is preferred, we recommend Valvoline DEXRON® VI, Valvoline ATF+4® and Valvoline MERCON®V for the corresponding applications”. Valvoline does Not have a License to produce the ZF-8/9 OEM formula.

Looking at the Valvoline Maxlife ATF file, they also list it as being compatible with Allison TES-295. Recently the discontinued TES-295 has been replaced/ upgraded to TES-668.

From experience I can tell you that racers in (TD) Top Dragster and (TS) Top Sportsman using powerglide transmissions behind 2000+ HP are using Allison TES-295 and now TES-668. TES-668 is the only transmission fluid that will keep these transmissions from burning up in as little as 10 runs. Most will now put on over 50 runs before transmission will need servicing. None of them use Maxlife.

Lastly, a gallon of Valvoline Maxlife ATF can be purchased for under $30 at most auto stores. ZF 8-9 or TES 668 Licensed ATF fluid will cost you 2X the amount of Maxlife. The Licensing cost is a fraction of manufacturing cost of this OEM fluid. The greater cost is in the “formula requirements” of this OEM fluid that is Licensed.

Valvoline does have a License to manufacture and sell TES 668. It’s marketed as Valvoline Syn Gard 668.

Syn Gard 668 Automatic Transmission Fluid - Valvoline™ Global Operations

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I find it odd that ZF recommends changing the transmission fluid and then Ram comes behind and says "nah, it's magic lifetime oil". Whatever they're thinking it doesn't make me trust Ram in their other decisions (like engine oil change interval, oil weight etc).

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I change the Frt, rear, and T-case out with Amsoil around 30k miles (IIRC). I'm sitting at 49k and will probably change out the transmission fluid / filter before the end of the year. ..unless I get a new truck first. :sneaky:

Dd422

Reaction score
I find it odd that ZF recommends changing the transmission fluid and then Ram comes behind and says "nah, it's magic lifetime oil". Whatever they're thinking it doesn't make me trust Ram in their other decisions (like engine oil change interval, oil weight etc).
I have a friend who is a mechanic and gave me some wise advice. He asked me, “Who stands to profit more, the manufacturer that will probably never see that transmission again after it leaves the factory, or the dealership that you’ll ultimately bring your truck back to if your transmission burns up?”

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a mechanic and gave me some wise advice. He asked me, “Who stands to profit more, the manufacturer that will probably never see that transmission again after it leaves the factory, or the dealership that you’ll ultimately bring your truck back to if your transmission burns up?”
So you think people go to the dealership out of warranty for a transmission? Any long term company shouldn’t want people to hate their products?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Explain why you can't perform a flush on a transmission.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you think people go to the dealership out of warranty for a transmission? Any long term company shouldn’t want people to hate their products?
If you ever meet a car manufacture's engineer ask them how many miles a transmission should get before it breaks.
The only answer you will get is "the warranty lasts for xxx miles".

Ram doesn't care if stuff breaks outside of warranty, nor does any other manufacturer. It is only suppose to last the warranty length\miles then they WANT it to break so you need to get it fixed on your money money or buy another new car\truck.

Car manufacturer don't give 2 craps about loyalty as they are the same and they make billions of dollars each year because there are only so many options for most people.
What companies make pickup trucks?
Ford, GM, Ram, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda.

Depending on what you need to do with your truck you are limited to even fewer brands.

For example you Aint going to be towing much with a Honda for example as their highest towing compacity out of any trim\features is only 5000 lbs.

You only need to make your product slightly less crappier then the competitors to claim their business and so many people tend to have brand loyalty for no reason which encourages companies to make crap because people still buy it.

Best place to get info on these items are from the manufacture of the parts, not the car company that just takes other companies parts and combine them. Lifetime transmission fluid is not the life of the truck, manufacturer recommends between 50-75k miles but Ram says never change it. Fishy right? Nope, they want it to break.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER Not Legal Advice
Attached is a picture of Amsoil ATF that states it meets MOPAR requirements (68089195AA/68049954AA). I also will attach the Amsoil Warranty (which states you need to send a 6oz bottle of the fluid from the failed equipment) that will cover, at their discretion, the cost of repair or replacement (it also has a limited lifetime warranty no matter how many miles or years as long as the product was used when the equipment failed but still encourage you to read it as there is information I didn't cover) and the procedure/recommended service interval from ZF (Ram isnt listed but same procedure for 8HP70/75). Hopefully, this information is useful.
Are you saying the Amsoil ATF that meets transfer case fluid specs can be used in a ZF trans?

Users who are viewing this thread