5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluid Film? ValuGard? Undercoating options feedback......

Big Boozer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2019 Ram Laramie Sport Crew cab and I live in NJ. I am looking to undercoat the truck but I am torn between undercoating with a "hard" type product or go with Fluid Film. Anyone have any feedback or pictures over time with either product? Thanks so much, DJ

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I ran fluid film on my F-150 for the five years I owned it here in the Midwest. Looked brand new underneath the day I traded it in. I always reapplied it before winter every year.

Last edited:

Ranger482

Reaction score
I use Fluid Film. Not just underneath, but inside rockers, inside the wheel wells, inside bottom of doors, etc. The wand extension makes it easy to get into tight spots and ensure the interior gets covered as that is where a lot of rust starts.

RangerZ

Reaction score
I’m going with fluid film also. Just ordered the gun and a gallon

Ranger482

Reaction score
I’m going with fluid film also. Just ordered the gun and a gallon
Just FYI, the gallon is great for big areas under the truck, and for areas you can access with the gun. For smaller areas, like insides of door panels, rocker panels, wheel wells, etc, that you sometimes can't access with the gun I have found that the 12 oz can with the 2 foot wand extension works great. The wand is flexible and has a 360 degree spray tip on it, easy to slide into the area and pull out while you are spraying to ensure coverage in those areas. Most areas have drain holes that work well for access points. Inside of rear wheel wells I have gone in through the bed cutouts or taken off taillights to access.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
I just fluid filmed my truck. Used 1 gallon and in my humble opinion it was not enough. I ordered 2nd gallon to do the inside of frame rails and wheel wells. For roughly $36.00/gal well worth the cost. I have to deal with Ohio winters and heavy salting of the roads.

Ranger482

Reaction score
I just fluid filmed my truck. Used 1 gallon and in my humble opinion it was not enough. I ordered 2nd gallon to do the inside of frame rails and wheel wells. For roughly $36.00/gal well worth the cost. I have to deal with Ohio winters and heavy salting of the roads.
Wow, that sounds like a heavy application. Nothing wrong with that, but the gun sometimes puts out a lot if pressure isn't high enough or adjusted right. I can generally do my truck twice with a gallon and still have some left. Who knows, I may be applying too lightly? I try to make sure the surface is well coated, anything more just seems to run off.

RangerZ

Reaction score
Just FYI, the gallon is great for big areas under the truck, and for areas you can access with the gun. For smaller areas, like insides of door panels, rocker panels, wheel wells, etc, that you sometimes can't access with the gun I have found that the 12 oz can with the 2 foot wand extension works great. The wand is flexible and has a 360 degree spray tip on it, easy to slide into the area and pull out while you are spraying to ensure coverage in those areas. Most areas have drain holes that work well for access points. Inside of rear wheel wells I have gone in through the bed cutouts or taken off taillights to access.
Thanks for tip. Will be doing it this weekend. I was thinking I could do a coat with 1.5-2 quarts.

cadillacrules

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2019 Ram Laramie Sport Crew cab and I live in NJ. I am looking to undercoat the truck but I am torn between undercoating with a "hard" type product or go with Fluid Film. Anyone have any feedback or pictures over time with either product? Thanks so much, DJ
Well for your fender wells and door and rocker panel cavities drill them and plug them with electrical breaker panel knock out plugs, after you use an oil can with some poly viynl tubing on the nozzle to pump 80W90 gear oil into then. Gear oil slowly climbs in the cavities and doors and such and protects very well.
Net cost almost nothing. Under $10 for a container of gear oil and an oil can and a little vinyl tubing

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

cadillacrules

Reaction score
Well for your fender wells and door and rocker panel cavities drill them and plug them with electrical breaker panel knock out plugs, after you use an oil can with some poly viynl tubing on the nozzle to pump 80W90 gear oil into then. Gear oil slowly climbs in the cavities and doors and such and protects very well.
Net cost almost nothing. Under $10 for a container of gear oil and an oil can and a little vinyl tubing

And the quart of gear oil and the oil can/tubing will last for years

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So will the smell.
The smell! Brought back memories of my 1980 Kawasaki 650. I used the gear oil to lube my chain. I could readily identify the smell (there is a spill or bottle here somewhere) 30 years later while cleaning out my dad's cellar. No personal experience as a rust inhibitor.

Ramster

Reaction score
Running your truck through a car wash that sprays underneath wash away the Fluid Film?

Sjay

Reaction score
Running your truck through a car wash that sprays underneath wash away the Fluid Film?
No completely, but you will have to re-apply each fall. I used wool wax on my Ram. To get inside tight places like rockers and such, I used Noxudol spray with a 24" extension.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Another alternative is new Hampshire oil undercoating. Doesn't smell like good film. I just did my wife's vehicle and my beater and will probably do my new 2500 too.

broman66

Reaction score
I'm having the New Hampshire Oil Undercoating (NHOU) done after Labor day. The salesman said that the annual 'refresh' every Fall is cheap and quick.
I believe I'm doing the Boss Wax treatment first, then the oil. Not sure if it 's one or two processes.
Has anyone had it done? I'm on Cape Cod. Salt exposure is year round so I though it would be a good investment.
If you don't mind me asking. What did you pay to have it done? I was quoted $700 for a two day treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread