5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster outlaw

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm loving mine, it seems to get better sounding the more miles I put on, but there isn't any packing material so there shouldn't be any break-in, but likely my imagination.

Keep the stock 3 resonators and you won't have any drone on the highway either.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Just installed my new Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust and it sounds incredible! Couldn’t be happier. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a good deep growl.
Was it the Direct Fit version? Did you install it yourself? If so, how easy was it?

I just got mine in today. Packaging was terrible and the box was partly opened and paint has come off of it in several spots. Is this ok? Is the paint any kind of heat shield? Should I send it back? Or is it ok? Other than the paint, there is no other damage. Thoughts?

20190718_211837.jpg 20190718_211900.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Was it the Direct Fit version? Did you install it yourself? If so, how easy was it?

I just got mine in today. Packaging was terrible and the box was partly opened and paint has come off of it in several spots. Is this ok? Is the paint any kind of heat shield? Should I send it back? Or is it ok? Other than the paint, there is no other damage. Thoughts?

View attachment 31161 View attachment 31162

That's just high temp paint, you can touch that up easily, but I would request a discount from the vendor considering that is not the cosmetic condition you paid for. $7 can from Home Depot of high temp black is easier than boxing and shipping back. They should offer you 10%-20% off or so to make it worthy your while.

I personally just paid my muffler shop to custom install the Outlaw muffler, with custom piping and hangers. More secure since everything is welded in place instead of bolted and clamped. Paid $275 out the door. The direct fit is a good option if you want to DIY, though they do recommend at least a 1" tack weld on the clamp side.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
That's just high temp paint, you can touch that up easily, but I would request a discount from the vendor considering that is not the cosmetic condition you paid for. $7 can from Home Depot of high temp black is easier than boxing and shipping back. They should offer you 10%-20% off or so to make it worthy your while.

I personally just paid my muffler shop to custom install the Outlaw muffler, with custom piping and hangers. More secure since everything is welded in place instead of bolted and clamped. Paid $275 out the door. The direct fit is a good option if you want to DIY, though they do recommend at least a 1" tack weld on the clamp side.
Thanks. Good to know, and I will contact the seller for a discount. However, it's interesting that you were able to get a regular Outlaw muffler installed for $275, and yet I paid $285 for a direct fit to do it myself. I called a local exhaust shop and they said they will install it and weld it for $100. But now that's $385 for me. I'm wondering if I should shop around for a deal like you got and return mine. I'm assuming the regular outlaw muffler itself is the same as the direct fit, right?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know, and I will contact the seller for a discount. However, it's interesting that you were able to get a regular Outlaw muffler installed for $275, and yet I paid $285 for a direct fit to do it myself. I called a local exhaust shop and they said they will install it and weld it for $100. But now that's $385 for me. I'm wondering if I should shop around for a deal like you got and return mine. I'm assuming the regular outlaw muffler itself is the same as the direct fit, right?

The direct fit is pricier because it's all done for you, so it will enable a DIY installation. However, if you pay someone to do it, they still have to charge the labor hour to do it, and I was also quoted $100 - $120 range to install the direct fit. I factored in $300 Direct Fit+ $100 install, so $400.

And yes, the Outlaw 3" muffler is the same as the direct fit version, only $95 on it's own. My shop created the 3" piping front and rear along with hangers for $275 out the door. This installation is a bit more secure because everything is welded in place, no bolts or clamps. My dealership actually recommended me to do it this way.

I would search your local Yelp for a good performance muffler shop that has good reviews and carries Flowmaster mufflers, which almost all do. Pricing should be comparable to what I have. If you are already paying someone to install a system, might as well go with the custom install of the Outlaw instead of the Direct Fit.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
The direct fit is pricier because it's all done for you, so it will enable a DIY installation. However, if you pay someone to do it, they still have to charge the labor hour to do it, and I was also quoted $100 - $120 range to install the direct fit. I factored in $300 Direct Fit+ $100 install, so $400.

And yes, the Outlaw 3" muffler is the same as the direct fit version, only $95 on it's own. My shop created the 3" piping front and rear along with hangers for $275 out the door. This installation is a bit more secure because everything is welded in place, no bolts or clamps. My dealership actually recommended me to do it this way.

I would search your local Yelp for a good performance muffler shop that has good reviews and carries Flowmaster mufflers, which almost all do. Pricing should be comparable to what I have. If you are already paying someone to install a system, might as well go with the custom install of the Outlaw instead of the Direct Fit.
I appreciate the advice. I was able to get a 10% discount ($28) from the vendor for the damaged surface paint. I also called my local exhaust shop that has good ratings. They can fit me in today. For $100, they will touch up all the areas with high temp paint, and they will weld the muffler on the end where the clamp would normally go. I think that's a reasonable price for that work, so that's my plan. Hopefully, within hours from now, I'll have my new muffler installed!! Can't wait, I'm literally giddy with excitement. Need to let that Hemi run!!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. I was able to get a 10% discount ($28) from the vendor for the damaged surface paint. I also called my local exhaust shop that has good ratings. They can fit me in today. For $100, they will touch up all the areas with high temp paint, and they will weld the muffler on the end where the clamp would normally go. I think that's a reasonable price for that work, so that's my plan. Hopefully, within hours from now, I'll have my new muffler installed!! Can't wait, I'm literally giddy with excitement. Need to let that Hemi run!!

That's perfect, easier than sending it back and with the discount to help pay for install, you got a good package deal there!

You will love this exhaust by the way, great sound but not ridiculous, no drone on the highway.

Just to warn you, when MDS comes in, it does make a unusual sound you may not like. If so, you can turn off MDS by simply using the -+ buttons set at 8. This will give full range of gears but no MDS.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Got my Flowmaster Outlaw installed yesterday. I love the growl at startup, and when accelerating. But I like that it really quiets down while driving. But then, at stoplights, you can here the low rumble from the exhaust. It's not extremely loud, but I think that for a $65k luxury truck, this makes for the best compromise for me. I still have my Charger with the active exhaust and the fast acceleration when I really want to go, go, go. But now, I've got my truck that finally sounds like it has a Hemi in it. Couldn't be happier.

And who knows, maybe someday down the road I'll look at closing the weep holes in the resonators and see if that gives me just a little extra punch. Does anyone know if you can temporarily block those weep holes to see how much of a difference it makes without actually having to weld the weep holes shut?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Got my Flowmaster Outlaw installed yesterday. I love the growl at startup, and when accelerating. But I like that it really quiets down while driving. But then, at stoplights, you can here the low rumble from the exhaust. It's not extremely loud, but I think that for a $65k luxury truck, this makes for the best compromise for me. I still have my Charger with the active exhaust and the fast acceleration when I really want to go, go, go. But now, I've got my truck that finally sounds like it has a Hemi in it. Couldn't be happier.

And who knows, maybe someday down the road I'll look at closing the weep holes in the resonators and see if that gives me just a little extra punch. Does anyone know if you can temporarily block those weep holes to see how much of a difference it makes without actually having to weld the weep holes shut?

The weep holes being shut will only improve the sound (not performance) while decreasing their service life. It's a fair trade off for some.

Some people have been using JB weld to plug them and if you need to in the future, you can scrape that or drill it out. My muffler shop said they could weld the weep holes up and move them to another position on the resonators to reduce the airy sound they produce, that's could be another option.

Users who are viewing this thread