5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster Outlaw duel exhaust. W/ stock intake?

mtt582

Reaction score
So I finally settled on this Flowmaster outlaw exhaust for my truck (2023 Bighorn 5.7 V8 etorque) and now I have some questions so feel free to weigh on on whichever you want.

1) My truck is brand new (under warranty). Will having a professional install this exhaust potentially void any part of my warranty? and if so which parts?
2) Is the stock intake going to effect or be affected by the new exhaust system?
3) How will the MDS effect the sound? For example if the MDS closes off 4 of the cylinders while that is happening is the sound from exhaust halved?

I’ll probably be adding more questions to the OP as this thread develops. Thankful for any relevant responses.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1. Should only void the exhaust warranty
2. No
3. It will effect sound, how much, IDK but with Flowmaster it will be noticeable. I've never heard a quiet flowmaster anything
4. They still make Flowmaster exhausts?

mtt582

Reaction score
1. Should only void the exhaust warranty
2. No
3. It will effect sound, how much, IDK but with Flowmaster it will be noticeable. I've never heard a quiet flowmaster anything
4. They still make Flowmaster exhausts?
Yea I guess. Is Flowmaster super old or something? I literally didn’t start caring about cars until 3 weeks ago to be honest.
If the MDS keeps the volume down in the neighborhood that wouldn’t be such a bad thing. But I don’t love the idea of it sounding weird when I’m cruising at 45 and the MDS kicks on.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I finally settled on this Flowmaster outlaw exhaust for my truck (2023 Bighorn 5.7 V8 etorque) and now I have some questions so feel free to weigh on on whichever you want.

1) My truck is brand new (under warranty). Will having a professional install this exhaust potentially void any part of my warranty? and if so which parts?
2) Is the stock intake going to effect or be affected by the new exhaust system?
3) How will the MDS effect the sound? For example if the MDS closes off 4 of the cylinders while that is happening is the sound from exhaust halved?

I’ll probably be adding more questions to the OP as this thread develops. Thankful for any relevant responses.
Just for clarification - are you replacing the entire system, doing a direct bolt on muffler kit or just the muffler

1 - warranty now would be on the after market system by Flowmaster - you are not touching the catalytic convertors so in my opinion those would still be under warranty by Ram
2 - no
3 - again depending on what you are actually installing but some systems will drone even just a little - it will depend on your ear and what you can tolerate - Drone can be very subjective - what might be minimal to non existent for some can be very annoying and irritating to others - no matter the amount of videos you watch you can't really tell until you actually install it

mtt582

Reaction score
Just for clarification - are you replacing the entire system, doing a direct bolt on muffler kit or just the muffler

1 - warranty now would be on the after market system by Flowmaster - you are not touching the catalytic convertors so in my opinion those would still be under warranty by Ram
2 - no
3 - again depending on what you are actually installing but some systems will drone even just a little - it will depend on your ear and what you can tolerate - Drone can be very subjective - what might be minimal to non existent for some can be very annoying and irritating to others - no matter the amount of videos you watch you can't really tell until you actually install it
Yes, I will be replacing the entire system.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I guess. Is Flowmaster super old or something? I literally didn’t start caring about cars until 3 weeks ago to be honest.
If the MDS keeps the volume down in the neighborhood that wouldn’t be such a bad thing. But I don’t love the idea of it sounding weird when I’m cruising at 45 and the MDS kicks on.
well the outlaw is suppose to be on the loud/aggressive side and you will be noticed but don't let that stop you and post a video once install

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
MDS will do nothing for your sound in neighborhoods. I don't notice it stock but on another Chrysler vehicle I have it was very noticeable with the loud exhaust. It only kicks in when the motor is not pulling. It has nothing to do with slower speeds. It even stops at very low speed.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I have the Flowmaster Outlaw muffler and I love it, it's 60's muscle car loud, but doesn't drone when cruising, at least to my ear. But everyone is different, it's actually hard to compare based on personal opinion, because one persons loud is another's quiet, same goes with "drone".

It should be noted the full Outlaw system isn't the same as the Outlaw universal muffler a lot of us have. The muffler in the full system is a completely different design, with a single inlet & dual outlets, wider and shorter design, the system also has no resonators. The Outlaw universal muffler is just a straight through tube, barely larger in diameter than the piping, so I really can't compare my system to the full one.

However, the full system should be tuned specifically for the RAM application and looks good for the money, with strong reviews on American Trucks website. For the price, it's really similar to the Borla ATAK, which is a well loved exhaust system designed to be on the louder side. Before you make the purchase, I would research that one as well.

mtt582

Reaction score
I have the Flowmaster Outlaw muffler and I love it, it's 60's muscle car loud, but doesn't drone when cruising, at least to my ear. But everyone is different, it's actually hard to compare based on personal opinion, because one persons loud is another's quiet, same goes with "drone".

It should be noted the full Outlaw system isn't the same as the Outlaw universal muffler a lot of us have. The muffler in the full system is a completely different design, with a single inlet & dual outlets, wider and shorter design, the system also has no resonators. The Outlaw universal muffler is just a straight through tube, barely larger in diameter than the piping, so I really can't compare my system to the full one.

However, the full system should be tuned specifically for the RAM application and looks good for the money, with strong reviews on American Trucks website. For the price, it's really similar to the Borla ATAK, which is a well loved exhaust system designed to be on the louder side. Before you make the purchase, I would research that one as well.
Yea I looked at the borla atak as well, I went with the Flowmaster because from all the videos I saw it had a much deeper tone than the ATAK and didn’t seem as loud. I know that every install is different. But that deeper tone was pretty consistent on most of the installs I saw.

mtt582

Reaction score
MDS will do nothing for your sound in neighborhoods. I don't notice it stock but on another Chrysler vehicle I have it was very noticeable with the loud exhaust. It only kicks in when the motor is not pulling. It has nothing to do with slower speeds. It even stops at very low speed.
Yea I get that. That’s what I meant by “cruising” whether at 45 or 85. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the lowest possible speed it activates at but I’ve definitely seen it pop on when going under 15. If I could “take it easy” and get out of the neighborhood without setting off alarms that would be preferable, although not a deal breaker. I’m more worried about how it’s gunna sound when I am driving city miles and the MDS cuts on while I’m doing the speed limit.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yea I get that. That’s what I meant by “cruising” whether at 45 or 85. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the lowest possible speed it activates at but I’ve definitely seen it pop on when going under 15. If I could “take it easy” and get out of the neighborhood without setting off alarms that would be preferable, although not a deal breaker. I’m more worried about how it’s gunna sound when I am driving city miles and the MDS cuts on while I’m doing the speed limit.
I see. Yea, it won't be that loud when you take it easy, it's just a stock 5.7. My 6.4 in my car with Corsa Extreme resonators only won't rattle windows until you punch it.

The MDS will noticeably sound like crap though. Drop some more money for a tuner and an unlocked PCM and you can turn it off. What the heck, its only money right? 😆

mtt582

Reaction score
I see. Yea, it won't be that loud when you take it easy, it's just a stock 5.7. My 6.4 in my car with Corsa Extreme resonators only won't rattle windows until you punch it.

The MDS will noticeably sound like crap though. Drop some more money for a tuner and an unlocked PCM and you can turn it off. What the heck, its only money right? 😆
Can’t take it with you right, Eff it. I did read that tuning it could void a lot of the warranty so I may have to wait till it expires to tune it.

Bigred7181

Reaction score
I went with the Borla Atak. I think it sounds pretty close to Mopar performance exhaust. It’s pretty quiet when just cruising around but wakes up when you get on it. I went with Borla this time because it’s the brand of choice by Ken digit and that guy builds bad *** rides

mtt582

Reaction score
Update time. I finally got my new exhaust system installed. I ended up going with the Flowmaster American thunder. I’ll do a full review later on another thread but my initial thoughts are really like it but don’t love it. Thanks for the help

mtt582

Reaction score
I went with the Borla Atak. I think it sounds pretty close to Mopar performance exhaust. It’s pretty quiet when just cruising around but wakes up when you get on it. I went with Borla this time because it’s the brand of choice by Ken digit and that guy builds bad *** rides
The atak was on my short list when I was thinking about the Outlaw, but I decided both were too loud. Now that I have this American Thunder on I’m wondering if I was wrong. I won’t know till I cold start in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread