5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster Exhaust question

MossyMallard12

Reaction score
New to the forum, at the end of the month, I’m going to get a 2019 Ram Rebel, and I’m trying to figure out what Exhaust to put on. I don’t wanna wake up he neighbors and people to hear me coming 15 miles away, so I have it narrowed down to Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, and Flowmaster Flowfx Catback. Would like to know which is louder it sounds better? They said the Flowfx is a “straight through” muffler and the American Thunder is a “chambered muffler”. I’m not a car guy, and that tells me nothing! I just want what’s going to sound the best, and not be stupidly loud. I just want a really low, mean sounding exhausted muffler. Thanks!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you solely want the muffler and not a catback correct ?

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very happy with my American Thunder. Deep and low sound, not overpowering inside, and no complaints from neighbors.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Post where you are located and I’m sure those around you would be willing to let you listen to their setup.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I just purchased a Flowmaster Outlaw Direct Fit Muffler ($300). I think this is going to be more than enough for me to bring out that Hemi growl without going overboard and breaking the bank. I found this video which convinced me to go with it:

R

Rob5589

I just purchased a Flowmaster Outlaw Direct Fit Muffler ($300). I think this is going to be more than enough for me to bring out that Hemi growl without going overboard and breaking the bank. I found this video which convinced me to go with it:

Sounds good! Love the little one jumping in to help :D

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No I would like the entire Catback system put in.

Depends on your definition of cat-back. The Hemi's exhaust is essentially from the catalytic converter back a lot of 3" piping, which includes a single resonator, then muffler, then divides into a y-pipe that leads to two more resonators and tips.

If you mean cat-back is replacing all piping from the catalytic converter back, I don't believe there is a kit available yet other than Mopar's $730 system and QTP's very pricey kit. However, if just replacing the stock muffler is your thing, then you have Flowmaster Outlaw and Carven direct fit systems which can be done at home for $300 & $330 respectively.

If you are going to do that, I just recommend going to a muffler shop and having them fit your preferred muffler and weld custom piping which well result in a better installation for cheaper price.

My favorite is the Outlaw System, it's not too loud at idle but makes a great sound when moving and doesn't drone on the highway. This is assuming you leave all 3 resonators in place.

JohnJohn301

Reaction score
I just did Flowmaster FlowFX on my week old 1500 Rebel.
For me its a nice balance of deep tone, no drone but comes alive if you put your foot into it. Cab is still very comfortable sound level for music or conversation. The sound level is enough to know it's there without blowing up your neighbors. You would never mistake it for a stock exhaust. Personally, I wouldn't want it any louder.
And - I did it myself in about an hour and the install is spot-on.
Flowmaster FlowFX

_StangPGH

Reaction score
B2 Fab Magnaflow FTW. Nice on startup, good growl on light / moderate throttle and really wakes up at WOT. Perfect fitment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

manrig

Reaction score
Argh!!! After reading the exhaust thread, then now this, I'm agonizing over the decision between the P2 Magnaflow and the Flowmaster Outlaw. It seems like some are saying they are very comparable, but I'm trying to figure out from reading descriptions and watching videos if one is a little louder than the other. My concern with the P2 Magnaflow is that it will end up louder than the Flowmaster after it's break-in period. I'm concerned about too loud.

Seems like both offer the low rumble at idle and throttle growl that I like. Both are claimed to not be too loud, and don't really drone, in upper gears while highway cruising.

Does anyone have any insight into the loudness between these two after the Magnaflow break-in? Would be awesome if someone had done a direct comparison video on the same truck in the same environment. I know this is not very realistic. Just looking for something to sway a final decision.

deanfx

Reaction score
Argh!!! After reading the exhaust thread, then now this, I'm agonizing over the decision between the P2 Magnaflow and the Flowmaster Outlaw. It seems like some are saying they are very comparable, but I'm trying to figure out from reading descriptions and watching videos if one is a little louder than the other. My concern with the P2 Magnaflow is that it will end up louder than the Flowmaster after it's break-in period. I'm concerned about too loud.

Seems like both offer the low rumble at idle and throttle growl that I like. Both are claimed to not be too loud, and don't really drone, in upper gears while highway cruising.

Does anyone have any insight into the loudness between these two after the Magnaflow break-in? Would be awesome if someone had done a direct comparison video on the same truck in the same environment. I know this is not very realistic. Just looking for something to sway a final decision.
Get Carven. I wish I would have instead fo the FlowmasterFX

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score

Do the outlaw. It’s loud and doesn’t drone out at high speeds. You’ll hear it when accelerating. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score

You'll never know unless you hear them live, even videos only help so much. I think you have a lot more people who own the Outlaw, though that could be do to price. But most of us are very happy with them.

manrig

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, all! I agree on the comment about trying to find one to hear live. I'm also looking at, and wondering about, and American Thunder. It's supposed to be a little quieter per Flowmaster site. Looks like it might be something like an 18" vs a 14" (if that's what the size is on the Outlaw). Also, if I'm finding the correct info, it seems like the Outlaw is a straight through and the American Thunder is chambered?

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
I was trying to narrow down the prefab direct fit options (B2Fab Magnaflow, Carven, Flowmaster FX and Flowmaster Outlaw) for my Rebel. Can save some major $$$ by going that route over the full catback. I work with a guy who's in a 2017 1500 5.7L who picked up a Magnaflow direct fit off Craigslist for $65, and it sounds really good. He said it sounds better now that the packing has picked up some resins. Only drone when he's pulling his camper.

Meanwhile, my buddy who does fab work in his spare time offered to pitch in - so all muffler options are on the table. He too said he likes Magnaflow over Flowmaster after it's break-in. His overall preference would be Spintech though. I don't want anything annoying the neighbors. Much more interested in deep throaty tone over volume - especially with my eTorque. This other guy at work has a Flowmaster catback in his Challenger and it's friggin loud (although minimal drone). Has to be Super 10, or maybe Outlaw.

Going off of this chart and this Flowmaster comparison video, I'm not really interested in the Outlaw as it's advertised as their most aggressive model.
Flowmaster Product Line vid

fm-updated-street-mufflers-landing-page-banner-2560x85318353[1].jpg

This is a good video to compare the tones as well, but won't be accurate final sound since it's a completely different setup:
Flowmaster Comparison

Based off of this, I prefer some Flowmasters and Magnaflow over Carven due to gurgling and tone:
Carven install (18:15 for startup)

Seems Borla and Corsa are a bit more than what I'm after anyways, so I'm leaning towards direct fit Flowmaster FX or B2 fab's Magnaflow. I do like the Super 40 and the 40 Delta flow in that vid, but I'm leary as it's bound to sound completely different in a 2019 Rebel.

Last edited:

manrig

Reaction score
I was trying to narrow down the prefab direct fit options (B2Fab Magnaflow, Carven, Flowmaster FX and Flowmaster Outlaw) for my Rebel. Can save some major $$$ by going that route over the full catback. I work with a guy who's in a 2017 1500 5.7L who picked up a Magnaflow direct fit off Craigslist for $65, and it sounds really good. He said it sounds better now that the packing has picked up some resins. Only drone when he's pulling his camper.

Meanwhile, my buddy who does fab work in his spare time offered to pitch in - so all muffler options are on the table. He too said he likes Magnaflow over Flowmaster after it's break-in. His overall preference would be Spintech though. I don't want anything annoying the neighbors. Much more interested in deep throaty tone over volume - especially with my eTorque. This other guy at work has a Flowmaster catback in his Challenger and it's friggin loud (although minimal drone). Has to be Super 10, or maybe Outlaw.

Going off of this chart and this Flowmaster comparison video, I'm not really interested in the Outlaw as it's advertised as their most aggressive model.
Flowmaster Product Line vid

View attachment 32231

This is a good video to compare the tones as well, but won't be accurate final sound since it's a completely different setup:
Flowmaster Comparison

Based off of this, I prefer some Flowmasters and Magnaflow over Carven due to gurgling and tone:
Carven install (18:15 for startup)

Seems Borla and Corsa are a bit more than what I'm after anyways, so I'm leaning towards direct fit Flowmaster FX or B2 fab's Magnaflow. I do like the Super 40 and the 40 Delta flow in that vid, but I'm leary as it's bound to sound completely different in a 2019 Rebel.

I'd have to say I agree on the Magnaflow and possibly a Flowmaster over the Carven. I'm in the same boat as well on sound. I do prefer the deep rumbly tone with possibly a little more volume, but I want to stay away from anything considered very aggressive or loud.

The Flowmaster video you shared is awesome. Very informative. Need to try to find one like that on the Magnaflows. Everyone seems to be pleased with the P2 Magnaflow, but I'm confused by a couple people commenting that the P2 Magnaflow is comparable to the Flowmaster Outlaw. Maybe they are talking overall tone and not volume. If they are talking loudness as well, it seems odd as they physically look to have very different designs. The Magnaflow actually has some size and packing material, even though it is small. The Outlaw seems to have nothing too it. It looks a little like an M-80 or almost a straight pipe (the version for the 5th gen).

I guess I'm hoping to hear that the Magnaflow is, in fact, not as loud as an Outlaw (even after break in), or a recommendation of a specific non-direct-fit Magnaflow which has just as desirable of a tone, but is a step down in volume level.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I did the B2 MF a couple of weeks ago and would it want it any louder. It’s just the right balance for me. Nice deep growl without being loud. I look forward to starting my truck every time just to hear the sound. It’s hypnotic... o_O
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread