5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster Cat-back review....Sounds incredible, fit and customer service not so much

Agitated

Reaction score
I finished installing the Flowmaster cat-back last week and I've been in contact with Flowmaster regarding fitment issues, which so far I've not had any success with a compromise on their part. So in light of this I decided to post a short review.

First off, if you intend to install this kit on any truck other than a CC short bed, it won't fit. The inlet pipe is sized for that trim and that trim only; even though their website shows it fits ALL new 2019 Ram 1500. I found out the hard way after I had cut up the factory exhaust to make removal easier. It also made reinstalling the factory exhaust impossible, which became apparent as I lay on my back looking at a 10" gap between the inlet pipe and the new 50 series muffler included in the kit. A call to them resulted in them telling me it fits, after about 5 minutes of this I was told they would check with engineering and call me back. 2 days later and I had to call back...I had to call them. Finally admitted the long bed needs a different inlet pipe and offered to have it returned or refund any invoice I had to get it to fit.
Well I had fixed their engineering issue myself by reusing a section of factory pipe and having it expanded at a muffler shop. Then I bought a new clamp and hanger to make it all work. All of this done at my expense and time. They refused to do anything about this. Thought I'd mention that....they aren't doing anything about my aggravation and that I took my own time to let them know they have a design flaw. I'm not looking for a freebie, just compensation for my time and running around. I was told they'd send me a longer inlet pipe when they become available so if they follow through with that I'll feel better having that instead of a hodgepodged inlet pipe.

Now on to the sound. It sounds great! I couldn't be any happier with the sound. I have always liked the Flowmaster sound since my Mustang days. Other than the inlet pipe it fits pretty great. There's really no reason for the 3" dual tailpipes. There's enough clearance but it does limit the ability to perfect the tip location. That took a lot of trial and error to satisfy my OCD. I don't care for black tips but they are ok. I wish there was an option for chrome/polished. They do include some retainer washers that slip over the hangers to help hold everything in place and I must say it actually works. For how long I don't know but so far nothing has moved.

Will I buy Flowmaster again? Yeah probably because I like the sound so much. But this experience sure left a bad taste in my mouth as far as customer support is concerned.

Also, compared to the Flowmaster outlaw direct replacement muffler that I had on it, this sound is deeper, sounds cleaner, and is not louder. In fact in the cab this cat back is quieter than the outlaw with the 3 resonators. But outside it is a tad louder. There is also less drone with the catback than with the outlaw., almost non-existent.

Last edited:

pber1

Reaction score
I finished installing the Flowmaster cat-back last week and I've been in contact with Flowmaster regarding fitment issues, which so far I've not had any success with a compromise on their part. So in light of this I decided to post a short review.

First off, if you intend to install this kit on any truck other than a CC short bed, it won't fit. The inlet pipe is sized for that trim and that trim only; even though their website shows it fits ALL new 2019 Ram 1500. I found out the hard way after I had cut up the factory exhaust to make removal easier. It also made reinstalling the factory exhaust impossible, which became apparent as I lay on my back looking at a 10" gap between the inlet pipe and the new 50 series muffler included in the kit. A call to them resulted in them telling me it fits, after about 5 minutes of this I was told they would check with engineering and call me back. 2 days later and I had to call back...I had to call them. Finally admitted the long bed needs a different inlet pipe and offered to have it returned or refund any invoice I had to get it to fit.
Well I had fixed their engineering issue myself by reusing a section of factory pipe and having it expanded at a muffler shop. Then I bought a new clamp and hanger to make it all work. All of this done at my expense and time. They refused to do anything about this. Thought I'd mention that....they aren't doing anything about my aggravation and that I took my own time to let them know they have a design flaw. I'm not looking for a freebie, just compensation for my time and running around. I was told they'd send me a longer inlet pipe when they become available so if they follow through with that I'll feel better having that instead of a hodgepodged inlet pipe.

Now on to the sound. It sounds great! I couldn't be any happier with the sound. I have always liked the Flowmaster sound since my Mustang days. Other than the inlet pipe it fits pretty great. There's really no reason for the 3" dual tailpipes. There's enough clearance but it does limit the ability to perfect the tip location. That took a lot of trial and error to satisfy my OCD. I don't care for black tips but they are ok. I wish there was an option for chrome/polished. They do include some retainer washers that slip over the hangers to help hold everything in place and I must say it actually works. For how long I don't know but so far nothing has moved.

Will I buy Flowmaster again? Yeah probably because I like the sound so much. But this experience sure left a bad taste in my mouth as far as customer support is concerned.

Also, compared to the Flowmaster outlaw direct replacement muffler that I had on it, this sound is deeper, sounds cleaner, and is not louder. In fact in the cab this cat back is quieter than the outlaw with the 3 resonators. But outside it is a tad louder. There is also less drone with the catback than with the outlaw., almost non-existent.
I almost bought the same kit fro
4Wheel Parts but right before swiping the guy asked if it was a short bed, said no and now I’m still rolling around with stock exhaust

Agitated

Reaction score
Like I said you can make it work with a bit of effort, just be prepared.
Wonder what they will do when the extended cabs come out?

alantry

Reaction score
Just wondering if this was the American Thunder kit that you installed?

19Jake

Reaction score
FlowFX best bang for the buck
717847.jpg

Agitated

Reaction score
It was the american thunder cat back.

That flowfx pictured above sounds like poop to me and is nothing like a chambered flowmaster. Two totally different sounds.

K.Johnson

Reaction score
OP, Thanks for the post on the Thunder exhaust. Im thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. I have looked at the Carven Competitor (seems too raspy and annoying), the Magnaflow exhaust sounds like a worse version of the stock exhaust, and well Borla wants over a grand for theirs lol. Any chance we can get a WOT in cab clip, and a pulling away/drive by clip at 55-65? Much appriciated if so!

Users who are viewing this thread