5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florida members, if you bought your truck in 2021, how long did it take for you to get your license plate

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious for Florida members, how long did it take for you to get your license plate after you bought your truck? Assuming you let the dealer do the leg work? My first temp tag expires today, I contacted the dealer over the weekend and they said come by for another temp tag, meanwhile online says this "A licensed dealer is required to apply for a tag and title within 30 days, during which the buyer will be issued a temporary paper tag. It is a violation of Florida Statutes for a dealer to issue a second temporary tag. Consumers should report it immediately by faxing or mailing form HSMV 84901 to your nearest regional Division of Motorist Services’ office, found on page 2 of the form". Reviews of the dealer show others have waited 6 months for a plate. Wondering if the delay is on the DMV or the dealer.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine in May, but I did a tag transfer right at the dealer so no waiting on tags. From everything I can find online, it suggests starting out by calling your local FL tax office or tag agency for guidance. I did read under 320.131 - Temp Tags, and it seems that the department can issue you a one time 30 day extension but I could be reading that wrong. Either way, they should be able to give you some sort of status update at the very least and if they suggest that you go back to the dealer, at least you have that path verified.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine in May, but I did a tag transfer right at the dealer so no waiting on tags. From everything I can find online, it suggests starting out by calling your local FL tax office or tag agency for guidance. I did read under 320.131 - Temp Tags, and it seems that the department can issue you a one time 30 day extension but I could be reading that wrong. Either way, they should be able to give you some sort of status update at the very least and if they suggest that you go back to the dealer, at least you have that path verified.
What’s funny is I told the dealer I wanted to transfer the plate from my old truck to this truck which I assume that’s what they did but according to the DMV site the plate is still registered to my other truck.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s funny is I told the dealer I wanted to transfer the plate from my old truck to this truck which I assume that’s what they did but according to the DMV site the plate is still registered to my other truck.
I have had the DMV site take some time to properly update and reflect the proper information, so that could partially be to blame. I would absolutely call or set up an appointment with them to get everything ironed out though. At the end of the day the responsibility will likely fall back on you if pulled over (at least initially). Even if the dealer did something wrong with the tag or registration process.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I bought my truck in December of 2020, it took me 3 months to get my plate transferred. Mark Dodge provided me with a 60 day temp that expired in the end of January. They needed to send me another temp. I actually drove without any tag for 3 weeks after all temp tags expired.

The local DMV called me to say that I signed the new truck odometer statement with an e-signature and Florida doesn't accept that, so I needed to go in to sign a new odometer statement. This was in February. It then took a few more weeks to get the plate transferred. I had the plate from my old vehicle, but I heard that even though the paperwork was filed, having the plate on the truck is illegal, so I drove with no plate.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had the DMV site take some time to properly update and reflect the proper information, so that could partially be to blame. I would absolutely call or set up an appointment with them to get everything ironed out though. At the end of the day the responsibility will likely fall back on you if pulled over (at least initially). Even if the dealer did something wrong with the tag or registration process.
I went back to the dealer tonight and got another 30 day temp tag. The finance manager thinks I should get the plates within the next month.

NavyChief

Reaction score
Seems crazy, I took the MSO myself down to the DMV and walked out with tags. You pay extra for the dealer to do it and it takes weeks.
The hassle I had was the DMV appt system wasn’t working for titles so I had to wait it out via walk in appt which was 1.5hrs.
Not even sure why temp tags are even used, they have a stack of plates as tall as I am right behind the counter.

Gman24

Reaction score
Just curious for Florida members, how long did it take for you to get your license plate after you bought your truck? Assuming you let the dealer do the leg work? My first temp tag expires today, I contacted the dealer over the weekend and they said come by for another temp tag, meanwhile online says this "A licensed dealer is required to apply for a tag and title within 30 days, during which the buyer will be issued a temporary paper tag. It is a violation of Florida Statutes for a dealer to issue a second temporary tag. Consumers should report it immediately by faxing or mailing form HSMV 84901 to your nearest regional Division of Motorist Services’ office, found on page 2 of the form". Reviews of the dealer show others have waited 6 months for a plate. Wondering if the delay is on the DMV or the dealer.
30 days or less. Its dealers fault probably didnt send paperwork through

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/