5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floor Jack - Which to buy

rrbhokies

Reaction score
So what kind of floor jack do I need jack up my truck? I see 1.5, 3 and 4 ton jacks. Also, how safe is it to buy one of those Pittsburgh brands from Harbor Freight. They advertise a 3 ton rapid rise jack for just $99. For the casual person looking to jack up tires, etc. is that ok?

AndreiV

Reaction score
I have been using 3ton (6k lbs) jack from HF for over 3 years and it was one of best purchases for my collection of tools.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So what kind of floor jack do I need jack up my truck? I see 1.5, 3 and 4 ton jacks. Also, how safe is it to buy one of those Pittsburgh brands from Harbor Freight. They advertise a 3 ton rapid rise jack for just $99. For the casual person looking to jack up tires, etc. is that ok?
You’ll be fine with a 3 ton from HF. They make good jacks. I myself have a cheap from Home Depot which I picked up a couple of years ago. No issues either.

Cheers,

onelochevy

Reaction score
I keep a 1.5t racing jack from HF in my car that I commute in daily. Much faster than digging out the factory scissor jack. I'll be getting a 3t from HF to use in the garage for my Ram. Never had a problem with it.

M

MJB4450

Everything I have ever bought from Harbor Freight was cheap junk and many items broke on the first use........except for the floor jacks I bought. I have had two for several years now. A 1.5 ton and a 3 ton and I have had no problem with them so far. The 1.5 is not enough so I would go with the 3 ton. The only other thing is that someone had a sense of humor when they printed "lightweight" on the box. It's not.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score

jkm312

Reaction score
Go with a 3 ton jack.
Just as important are GOOD jack stands.
Be safe - always

NordicNevs

Reaction score
3 ton from harbor freight. Lifts my 3500 in the air
Then two 12ton floor stands and you’re golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrbhokies

Reaction score
3 ton from harbor freight. Lifts my 3500 in the air
Then two 12ton floor stands and you’re golden.

Really? 12 ton jack stands? Wouldn't 3 ton stands be enough?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Really? 12 ton jack stands? Wouldn't 3 ton stands be enough?

Maybe. But it know 12 ton are for sure solid.

Made sure they are pin locks too.

Price difference between 12ton and 3 were $20 each. Peace of mind for the additional 40.00

Truck weighs 8300# My rule is overkill doesn’t hurt.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Call me cautious but I’d rather have 12t than 3t

Y’all with 3 are fine I chose 12t and am glad I did. With the price difference being nothing why wouldn’t you.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
So where do you lift these trucks from? Frame rails don't work, can't get it high enough safely with a full size 3 ton. And I refuse to lift it from aluminum control arms

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me what ELSE I need to buy!

I had a low-profile NASCAR style long-length floor jack for one of my cars (because it sat too low for my normal jack) .. NOW I gotta remember to buy a high-lift for the truck ... GRRR!

LOL

-- keeps reading the rest of the replies to see what everyone else got ...

rrbhokies

Reaction score
So, I think I'll go with the 3 ton low profile Pittsburgh floor jack that's on sale for $90. Then, split the difference and get the 6-Ton Jack Stands at $35/pr. However, any thoughts on this thing? It's a cross beam for the Pittsburgh floor jacks that allows you to lift an entire side at one time, but it says it has a 2-Ton capacity. Could I use this instead of Jack stands to life each side of the truck to rotate tires or work under one side of the truck?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I like the Pittsburg good find

6 ton will be plenty for your truck.

I got the 12t because of the 3500 and the off change I need to hold her up with some Payload in it.

Now that you’ll have a proper floor jack you can really lift anywhere she will reach within reason (not on things that will break bend or snap common sense)

Rear: I have and do the diff lift and place the stands near the shock mounts on the rear axel

Front I’ll usually do where the LCA meets the body. There is nothing wrong with doing it on the LCA either. The closer to the middle the better as I don’t want too much articulation when one side is in the are, but then again that’s why the LCA works well.

Users who are viewing this thread