5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flat bed towing question.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I had my truck towed last week to the shop. 1500 big horn 4wd. How do you keep the truck in neutral? Every time we turned off the truck the shifter Kept going to park. lucky it still would move so we just drove it up on the flat top. Would like to know for future tows.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume it works the same on Ram as it does with other vehicles but Open the door, turn ignition on and shift to neutral, then with the key still on get out of the truck and then close the door and then turn the ignition off. You can also put the truck in neutral, leave the ignition on, get out and close the door and then disconnect the battery.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
In my manual, it's on page 282 (2020 rebel). Look at the recreational towing section and there's a blurb about putting it in neutral the right way. Requires a ball point pen apparently. I had to look it up when you posted this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Thanks will look up. I saw the flat (4 wheels on ground) I guess it is the same way

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume it works the same on Ram as it does with other vehicles but Open the door, turn ignition on and shift to neutral, then with the key still on get out of the truck and then close the door and then turn the ignition off. You can also put the truck in neutral, leave the ignition on, get out and close the door and then disconnect the battery.
The RAM automatically sets park when the door is opened maybe?

LouNY

Reaction score
In my manual, it's on page 282 (2020 rebel). Look at the recreational towing section and there's a blurb about putting it in neutral the right way. Requires a ball point pen apparently. I had to look it up when you posted this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
That is the procedure to get the transfercase into neutral, the transmission requires a different method depending on which transmission,
usually the method shown in post#5

sd2134

Reaction score
My understanding is transfer case in neutral for towing like behind an RV. Manual park release for things like loading on a flatbed tow truck. See your owners manual for the difference.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is fine for pushing the truck onto a trailer, but not for flat towing (behind an RV etc). You have to do the pall point pen thing to the transfer case for this. Otherwise, your trans will be toast.
Good post. I thought this was for the transfer case myself. I did not really pick up on the strap being for just getting out of park in the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread