5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flashing and Blank Display 8.4 more then once

ks1979

Reaction score
Bought a brand new 2019 2500 with the 8.4 uconnect 4 screen, 1200 miles it started flashing and flickering and finally went black for good. Dealer and Chrysler couldn't get a new one to come in because they were ordering re manufactured units so Chrysler allowed a new factory unit to be ordered after 2 months of hassle and put in and it worked fine for a month and now is doing the same exact thing. Does anyone know if this is just a problem with the factory units or anybody have any luck with a re manufactured unit working any better? My hope is maybe when they re manufacture them they found what the factory issue is and are fixing that. Waiting on the dealer to see what he wants to do this time around but I can't keep having the radio replaced especially when its not warrantied anymore later in its life.

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_074011.jpg
    IMG_20200306_074011.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 38

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a brand new 2019 2500 with the 8.4 uconnect 4 screen, 1200 miles it started flashing and flickering and finally went black for good. Dealer and Chrysler couldn't get a new one to come in because they were ordering re manufactured units so Chrysler allowed a new factory unit to be ordered after 2 months of hassle and put in and it worked fine for a month and now is doing the same exact thing. Does anyone know if this is just a problem with the factory units or anybody have any luck with a re manufactured unit working any better? My hope is maybe when they re manufacture them they found what the factory issue is and are fixing that. Waiting on the dealer to see what he wants to do this time around but I can't keep having the radio replaced especially when its not warrantied anymore later in its life.
Weird... Iv'e never heard about something like that.. I have the same system for over 8 months now and 21,000 miles, works flawlessly.
Maybe it's another problem? PCM or som like that

FailGrenade

Reaction score
Any chance you could get a part number for me of what they replaced? Having the same issue as we speak. But when my flickers I get no screen response but the radio and hard buttons still work.

PMantle

Reaction score
Mine just started doing this. Mostly in the morning.

dct33

Reaction score
2020 Big Horn with 8.4 Uconnect 4c...less than 400 miles and screen has been freezing for various lengths of time after performing any command. The other day a severe weather alert popped up that locked the system and it also began to flicker as if a wire was loose. Most of the time a shut down/restart of the truck 'fixes' the issues until it begins freezing again.

At the dealer now with a STAR claim and new screen inbound but not expected till late next week. Hope this doesn't drag on...

hhnh

Reaction score
2020 Big Horn with 8.4 Uconnect 4c...less than 400 miles and screen has been freezing for various lengths of time after performing any command. The other day a severe weather alert popped up that locked the system and it also began to flicker as if a wire was loose. Most of the time a shut down/restart of the truck 'fixes' the issues until it begins freezing again.

At the dealer now with a STAR claim and new screen inbound but not expected till late next week. Hope this doesn't drag on...
Any updates on this, ive been having the same problem on my 2019 1500 sport i ve diagnosed every relay and fuse and all seem to work well no idea whats going on

DesertMonkey

Reaction score
Mine does the same. Usb c automatically loads my tidal app and I can play music, or if xm is on no display in the 8.4 screen. Got home shut it off. Then started back up. Back up camera works, screen came back on distorted on the left 3/4 of the screen. What's the fix on this. Kinda heard this was a common issue but never thought it would happen to me. That $1300 warranty looks good right about now from my credit union. I'm at 45k on a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn.
8598db1d9aab295d9deaa4830b25168d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

holtzd

Reaction score
My 2019 RAM 1500 with 8.4 display does the same thing. It will flicker on and off and then stop responding to touch. Then after a couple minutes the touch screen will start working again. This started happening about a year ago and got worse as time went on and then the dealer replaced the display. Don't know if it was a refurb or not. After they replaced it, it worked without issue until a couple weeks ago. Both of these times it started doing this right after using Apple CarPlay. I've only used CarPlay twice and this flickering thing started right after using it both times. It doesn't make sense why CarPlay would cause the display to go bad but it sure does seam like that is what caused it.

Lasalle

Reaction score
Any chance you could get a part number for me of what they replaced? Having the same issue as we speak. But when my flickers I get no screen response but the radio and hard buttons still work.
Mine does the same thing. Flickers and goes blank. If I tap on the plastics sometimes it comes back on with or without touchscreen control. The dealership replaced the head unit 2 times and still the same thing.. will be 2 years in June this has been going on.

Users who are viewing this thread