5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flash update

Lights Out

Reaction score
I disconnected battery after getting a TCM and PCM update. i realize this may have been a mistake, anyone know for sure if i lost the flash update..? thanks fellas!

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
You should not have lost the flash update. Much like with BIOS on a motherboard, 'flashing' a PCM is a permanent change until you complete another flash to revert back to a previous, or update to a newer version of the software.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No worries...your software updates are safe.

Software updates will be on EEPROM (Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) and are electronically "imprinted" in the chip so cannot be erased by a loss of power.

as HKP7PSP said, the software cannot be accidentally changed or erased.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TCM is Transmission Control Module and PCM is Powertrain Control Module.

The TCM is the the transmission and the PCM is for engine management and maybe a little more. I'm new to the RAM world and newer trucks in general so I'm not too hip on what all these modules/computers control. The PCM might also do the transfer case and e-locker too.

The dealer does all the software updates. Even if I could figure out how to do it most of the bugs would be worked out by the end of my warranty period so there would be no point IMO.

Walter Stiles

Reaction score
Are PCM/TCM software updates common with these trucks? I’ve had mine since Jul20 and just had it done at the dealer. Tranny seems to have been jerking when coming to a stop in colder weather and the center display chimes and shows shift to park. Dealer said if needs a software update…. I’m confused.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. There are updates released for modules as they improve the programming or solve an issue.

If your truck is exhibiting symptoms that is covered by a factory publication (shop manual/troubleshooting guide, TSB, STAR Case, etc.) and your truck is under warranty the dealership will update the software for free (as long as the procedure tells them to do that). If there isn't an update available and you are having issues they can also reflash the current software version to see if it helps the issue (better download/install).

You can also pay the dealership to update your software to the latest version but that is a double-edged sword. It is nice to have the latest-and-greatest version of the software but you run the risk of having issues/glitches where you didn't before once the new software is installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online