5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitting 18 Inch Wheels?

ramhouston

Reaction score
I watched this video and noticed the clearance between the brake caliper and wheel are extremely tight.. does anybody know if the specs have changed over the years or what not?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They changed in 2019; prior to that, 17” wheels would fit.

(Classic and HD can still fit 17” wheels).

ramhouston

Reaction score
I have read some comments where people have stated that the 18 inch wheels are so tight that their brake calipers made contact with wheel weights if applicable.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have read some comments where people have stated that the 18 inch wheels are so tight that their brake calipers made contact with wheel weights if applicable.
I had that happen with my Fuel Blitz wheels, but that had a lot to do with the placement of the weights. I had they rebalanced, with the weights towards the outside edge, and we lived happily ever after.

ramhouston

Reaction score
I'm worried that a foreign object could become lodged between the wheel and brake caliper therefore causing some unforeseen problems.
what do you fellas think?

L Curtis

Reaction score
I ran fuel shok 18” wheels for 50k no problems. When I ordered them I did have to move my wheel weights on 2 of my wheels slightly closer to wheel edge for clearance. I am running a different set of 18” wheels and I opted to use balance beads to avoid weight clearance.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This happens to me. When going to Discount Tire for balancing and rotations I make sure to point it out. Sometimes they don't pay attention.
I'm worried that a foreign object could become lodged between the wheel and brake caliper therefore causing some unforeseen problems.
This could happen with any size, it just depends on the size of the rock you kick in there. I will say, I have off roaded a lot of vehicles in some radical irresponsible ways and have never had that be an issue.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran fuel shok 18” wheels for 50k no problems. When I ordered them I did have to move my wheel weights on 2 of my wheels slightly closer to wheel edge for clearance. I am running a different set of 18” wheels and I opted to use balance beads to avoid weight clearance.
I did balance beads with my Fuel Shoks. I didn't want to see weights on my brand new wheels, and having the extra clearance was an added benefit.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll personally never run balance beads again. The truck shop that mounted my previous 20" wheel setup decided to use balance beads without even giving me an option. I figured I'd roll with them and see how they did. I made it a whopping 10k miles and decided enough was enough. Around the city, I'll admit that I had no real complaints, but highway driving was an entirely different story. Anything above 60mph-65mph and the truck would vibrate like crazy. I basically had to fight the steering wheel to keep the truck driving straight. Worst part of it all is that the issues were completely inconsistent. One day it would ride on the highway nice and smooth, next day completely opposite experience on the exact same commute.

I recently dropped from 20's down to 18's and went with traditional wheel weights even when balance beads were encouraged. The shop did have to place the weights strategically to avoid contact with the caliper, but it can be done on most 18" options out there.

Glad these days are behind me 😂

Last edited:

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll personally never run balance beads again. The truck shop that mounted my previous 20" wheel setup decided to use balance beads without even giving me an option. I figured I'd roll with them and see how they did. I made it a whopping 10k miles and decided enough was enough. Around the city, I'll admit that I had no real complaints, but highway driving was an entirely different story. Anything above 60mph-65mph and the truck would vibrate like crazy. I basically had to fight the steering wheel to keep the truck driving straight. Worst part of it all is that the issues were completely inconsistent. One day it would ride on the highway nice and smooth, next day completely opposite experience on the exact same commute.

I recently dropped from 20's down to 18's and went with traditional wheel weights even when balance beads were encouraged. The shop did have to place the weights strategically to avoid contact with the caliper, but it can be done on most 18" options out there.

Glad these days are behind me 😂
That's pretty bad. Mine was like that right after I installed the wheels/tires, but it went away after a couple hundred miles.

6of36

Reaction score
18" wheels are standard on Rebels. Unless you get some weird style wheels, they should fit.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty bad. Mine was like that right after I installed the wheels/tires, but it went away after a couple hundred miles.
Results seem to be all over the place. I have talked with a few guys that love balance beads, and others that have had the same experience that I did. It was annoying driving to work on what felt like clouds one morning, and then blocks the next lol.

Glad to hear that they have worked out for you on your truck so far!

Scram1500

Reaction score
I watched this video and noticed the clearance between the brake caliper and wheel are extremely tight.. does anybody know if the specs have changed over the years or what not?

Have you considered oem 18's? TRX rims are pretty sharp

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
18" wheels are standard on Rebels. Unless you get some weird style wheels, they should fit.
The overall outside wheel diameter is only a piece of it. Inner barrel sizing can vary considerably from brand to brand among other measurements. I can't remember any specific 18" wheels off hand that do not fit, but I have read several instances of some wheels just not being compatible due to the brake calipers on our trucks.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
not a problem. My truck sees a lot of dirt both high and low speed and that's not even a concern.
IMG_6291.JPG
Not a problem for low speed crawling.
IMG_3607-Edit.jpg
Also not a problem going through some bumpy and steep rock garden to get to this meadow.
IMG_3056-Edit-AI.jpg
Also not a problem crossing the waterfall
IMG_3020.jpg
And not a problem going 40-50MPH on dirt roads to get there.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does this mean closest to the REAR DIFFERENTIAL or closest to the LUG NUTS?
(direction wise)
to the lug nuts.
Face of the wheel usually means where you see it.
1695146060569.png
This is how tight it is on 18x9 Method 305NV -12mm
If wheel weight is put on where they usually go it's guarantee hit. I messed up the first time so when I test spin the wheels after mounting I found out. Ended up redoing all of them.
1695146204771.png
This is how far they end up going toward the face (aka, outside). This one was the only one that uses that many weights (i think 1.5oz or something). The rests are just .25 oz or .5 oz.

Again, if the shop install the tires properly (aligning the yellow dot with valve stem) you should NOT be needing a bunch of weight. At times, you can have a perfectly balanced wheel without any weight.

Users who are viewing this thread