5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitcam X review

vtcats

Reaction score
I installed on my 2024 Limited this morning. Pretty easy install (after viewing current YouTube videos on this) and both camera’s look good. You do get some windshield reflection when the sun is shining on the front windshield. Also, I had been hoping to use it, on occasion, as a live camera in addition to being dash cam recording. I didn’t realize, (my fault) that when I’m using Android Auto (which is any time I’m in the truck), I can’t connect to the Fitcam as it’s ALSO WiFi connected. It still records everything as described ,thankfully. Another inconvenient discovery was it only records in 1 minute clips (many of the YouTube videos show you have the option of selecting the length of the video clip, but it doesn’t look like that’s available on this current version; it has a dropdown but the only option is 1 minute ). This is a pain when searching through sooooo many clips. Really unfortunate they changed this. Hopefully they change back. Of course I can always have my wife’s phone connected when she’s with me or even my iPad, but oh well, I guess not a big deal.
Just thought I’d throw out my 2 cents for the product.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed on my 2024 Limited this morning. Pretty easy install (after viewing current YouTube videos on this) and both camera’s look good. You do get some windshield reflection when the sun is shining on the front windshield. Also, I had been hoping to use it, on occasion, as a live camera in addition to being dash cam recording. I didn’t realize, (my fault) that when I’m using Android Auto (which is any time I’m in the truck), I can’t connect to the Fitcam as it’s ALSO WiFi connected. It still records everything as described ,thankfully. Another inconvenient discovery was it only records in 1 minute clips (many of the YouTube videos show you have the option of selecting the length of the video clip, but it doesn’t look like that’s available on this current version; it has a dropdown but the only option is 1 minute ). This is a pain when searching through sooooo many clips. Really unfortunate they changed this. Hopefully they change back. Of course I can always have my wife’s phone connected when she’s with me or even my iPad, but oh well, I guess not a big deal.
Just thought I’d throw out my 2 cents for the product.

Did you reach out to FitCamx? I haven't read about a switch from 1-3 minute loops to just 1 minute loops.

vtcats

Reaction score
Yeah, makes no sense. But I’ve looked at it using both my Android phone and Apple IPad and it doesn’t give me an option to change. Or the resolution. I didn’t hear from them overnight and I just emailed them now on the second of the two emails they provide. At this point I just with they would answer so I can move on.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yeah, makes no sense. But I’ve looked at it using both my Android phone and Apple IPad and it doesn’t give me an option to change. Or the resolution. I didn’t hear from them overnight and I just emailed them now on the second of the two emails they provide. At this point I just with they would answer so I can move on.

They have been very responsive for me. You have to consider they are in China, so the time difference can slow down communication.

vtcats

Reaction score
Their response:
Hello,
Sorry for my delayed reply.
The videos saved by the dash cam camera are divided into 1-minute segments. It is easy for you to download videos to your phone.
If you were in a traffic accident, you could download a 1-minute video very quickly instead of an hour-long video.

Best regards,
FITCAMX Team

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought one for my wife's Traverse and it has the option for 1 or 3 minute clips.
Were you able to buy one that replaces the plastic piece? Or, did you get the universal one?

I got the universal one for my wife's Traverse because they did not have a Traverse specific model.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Their response:
Hello,
The videos saved by the dash cam camera are divided into 1-minute segments. It is easy for you to download videos to your phone.
If you were in a traffic accident, you could download a 1-minute video very quickly instead of an hour-long video.

Best regards,
FITCAMX Team

It's possible that the latest update eliminated the choice for 3 minute loops. Anyone else have this issue? @Eighty maybe merge this thread with the big FitCamX thread so we don't have search two different threads??

Mine still has 1 or 3 minute loops and 2k-4k resolution.

Screenshot_20240417_112015_FITCAMX.jpg Screenshot_20240417_112001_FITCAMX.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Were you able to buy one that replaces the plastic piece? Or, did you get the universal one?

I got the universal one for my wife's Traverse because they did not have a Traverse specific model.
I bought one for the Blazer and just had to trim a little off the back of the plastic piece. They do t show one specific for Traverse, PXL_20240326_021115979~2.jpg but the Blazer and one version of Silverado are very close.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot from my Traverse camera today. Screenshot_20240417-160349.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, well I wish I had known that before I installed it D:
It's still wasn't a perfect factory fit. Struggled to get the two halves snapped together with all the cables. And didn't seem like it was going to work, but once I got the two halves to snap together it didn't move and feels secure. There really isn't anything holding up the back side though

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1713394701356.jpg
    FB_IMG_1713394701356.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1713394704394.jpg
    FB_IMG_1713394704394.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 16

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their response:
Hello,

Best regards,
FITCAMX Team
oh yeah lol they do that... you ask about apple and they tell you about oranges.
my recommendation is to write your email, copy and have google translate it for you, and tell them MAYBE it'd be easier for yall to communicate that way. If you want me to write in chinese for you send me a message, but understand that it will take me about 24 hours to translate it for you since im off PC from sun up to sunset.

*i do read and write chinese (i grew up in Taiwan and i deal with these West Taiwanese customer service agents in my other job) and i considered doing that when i wanted to buy their rear cam extension but decided it'd be easier and faster if i just get it from amazon lol

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's still wasn't a perfect factory fit. Struggled to get the two halves snapped together with all the cables. And didn't seem like it was going to work, but once I got the two halves to snap together it didn't move and feels secure. There really isn't anything holding up the back side though
Thanks for the pictures. The universal one was easier lol

vtcats

Reaction score
Well I did get another response saying they could send me different firmware. I said sure. But still, this is weird.
Also, see image. I noticed there are a few gaps of recordings that were blank. Does the FITCAMX need my phone to make recordings for some reason? I ask because when I brought my truck in for an oil change at the dealership, it made a recording while the tech brought it into the bay (with me sitting in the waiting room), but after that it just showed these blank thumbnail “failed to load”clips when he brought it back out and they don’t show again till I got in.

On a different note, the service tech was recoded when he brought it in. Let’s just say there was a fair amount of colorful language 😂. Starting with, “well your truck is BRAND F’ING NEW”, then proceeding to make other comment as colorful on different things.

Attachments

• IMG_5500.png
    IMG_5500.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 13

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Well I did get another response saying they could send me different firmware. I said sure. But still, this is weird.
Also, see image. I noticed there are a few gaps of recordings that were blank. Does the FITCAMX need my phone to make recordings for some reason? I ask because when I brought my truck in for an oil change at the dealership, it made a recording while the tech brought it into the bay (with me sitting in the waiting room), but after that it just showed these blank thumbnail “failed to load”clips when he brought it back out and they don’t show again till I got in.

On a different note, the service tech was recoded when he brought it in. Let’s just say there was a fair amount of colorful language 😂. Starting with, “well your truck is BRAND F’ING NEW”, then proceeding to make other comment as colorful on different things.

Can you post a screenshot of the camera settings page like I posted above? No, it does not need your phone to record. Did you pull the SD card to see if those blank files were actually blank?

vtcats

Reaction score
Haven’t had a chance to pull the SD card yet, but will later tonight.
Here are two images. You can see both the resolution option is lower AND when I tapped on the loop record options it only gives 1 minute. The second image shows the firmware. Hopefully they send an updated firmware

Attachments

• IMG_5498.png
    IMG_5498.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5499.png
    IMG_5499.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 6

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Haven’t had a chance to pull the SD card yet, but will later tonight.
Here are two images. You can see both the resolution option is lower AND when I tapped on the loop record options it only gives 1 minute. The second image shows the firmware. Hopefully they send an updated firmware

Yeah, that's definitely not right. I'm sure they will get you squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online