5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Year Ownership Report

Reverendbiker

Reaction score
I'm now completing my first year of ownership and thought I'd take a minute to recap; I hope it will be helpful to anyone considering a Gen5 Ram. 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lonestar, 5.7L eTorque, 3.21 gears,. The short version is this: the truck has been flawless. I've owned 8 other trucks in the past and this is by far the best. For more detail, read on:
-Powertrain: I absolutely love the hemi and its smooth power delivery. The 8-speed auto shifts smoothly and never seems to hunt for the right gear. I was skeptical about the eTorque feature, but have really liked it so far. I was also skeptical about the auto-start feature and had intended to just de-activate it on every drive. After a while, however, I found myself leaving it active because it is so seamless and unobtrusive.
-Performance: I've owned some very fast cars and motorcycles over the years and don't need my truck to be a racer. Acceleration is adequate and I've never felt underpowered.
-Ride and Handling: My first truck was a 1963 Ford F100 and compared to that thing this Ram is like a Lexus. Smooth and quiet, and not nearly as much body roll/lean as I'd expect from a full-size truck. Highway cruising is quiet and smooth.
-Comfort/Convenience: I usually prefer leather seats, but the cloth units in my truck are fantastic. Firm but comfortable and supportive, and I can make a long drive in comfort. I love the copious storage and the layout of the cabin. The U-Connect system took a bit of learning, but I'm starting to appreciate it.
Towing: I own a ranch in Central Texas and occasionally need to haul livestock to auction in a stock trailer. I considered the 3.92 gears, but stuck with the 3:21's for economy. I'm glad I did. My typical load is 3500-4000 pounds, and this rig handles it with no complaint.
Fuel Economy: A very pleasant surprise. I've put almost 10,000 miles on the truck this year and have averaged exactly 20.1 mpg. About 70% 0f my driving is state highway. I've clocked as high as 24 on one trip and usually average 14-15 when towing.
-Quality and Reliabiblty: I've experienced no problems or defects. ZERO. Other than the free oil change, the truck hasn't been back to the dealership.
-What would I change: I still don't much care for the round gear selector, and I wish I had opted for the auto climate control feature.
-Would I buy another?: Absolutely.

This is just one man's experience; yours may differ. As you can see, I absolutely love this truck and it fits my needs perfectly.

Last edited:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm now completing my first year of ownership and thought I'd take a minute to recap; I hope it will be helpful to anyone considering a Gen5 Ram. 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lonestar, 5.7L eTorque, 3.21 gears,. The short version is this: the truck has been flawless. I've owned 8 other trucks in the past and this is by far the best. For more detail, read on:
-Powertrain: I absolutely love the hemi and its smooth power delivery. The 8-speed auto shifts smoothly and never seems to hunt for the right gear. I was skeptical about the eTorque feature, but have really liked it so far. I was also skeptical about the auto-start feature and had intended to just de-activate it on every drive. After a while, however, I found myself leaving it active because it is so seamless and unobtrusive.
-Performance: I've owned some very fast cars and motorcycles over the years and don't need my truck to be a racer. Acceleration is adequate and I've never felt underpowered.
-Ride and Handling: My first truck was a 1963 Ford F100 and compared to that thing this Ram is like a Lexus. Smooth and quiet, and not nearly as much body roll/lean as I'd expect from a full-size truck. Highway cruising is quiet and smooth.
-Comfort/Convenience: I usually prefer leather seats, but the cloth units in my truck are fantastic. Firm but comfortable and supportive, and I can make a long drive in comfort. I love the copious storage and the layout of the cabin. The U-Connect system took a bit of learning, but I'm starting to appreciate it.
Towing: I own a ranch in Central Texas and occasionally need to haul livestock to auction in a stock trailer. I considered the 3.92 gears, but stuck with the 3:21's for economy. I'm glad I did. My typical load is 3500-4000 pounds, and this rig handles it with no complaint.
Fuel Economy: A very pleasant surprise. I've put almost 10,000 miles on the truck this year and have averaged exactly 20.1 mpg. About 70% 0f my driving is state highway. I've clocked as high as 24 on one trip and usually average 14-15 when towing.
-Quality and Reliabiblty: I've experienced no problems or defects. ZERO. Other than the free oil change, the truck hasn't been back to the dealership.
-What would I change: I still don't much care for the round gear selector, and I wish I had opted for the auto climate control feature.
-Would I buy another?: Absolutely.

This is just one man's experience; yours may differ. As you can see, I absolutely love this truck and it fits my needs perfectly.
Fantastic to read a review from a satisfied owner! Hope it continues to deliver as advertised, I know even with the minimal items I have experienced, I am very pleased with mine

rbundy84

Reaction score
For those newer owners, is there anything you wish you would have gotten? I’m probably waiting for the next round of great rebates (not many available right now) to pull the trigger...

Great topic and thank you to the OP

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For those newer owners, is there anything you wish you would have gotten? I’m probably waiting for the next round of great rebates (not many available right now) to pull the trigger...

Great topic and thank you to the OP
If you do a quick search this particular topic has a thread. Plenty of opinions

rbundy84

Reaction score
If you do a quick search this particular topic has a thread. Plenty of opinions
There is but nothing like the Employee Pricing at the end of the year...looking at potentially Presidents Day or probably Memorial Day

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Wish I had the off road group. A lot cheaper than adding the items later. I would have gotten it, but I wanted the full bench and the bighorn level 2 group. There were none in the state of Ohio with ORP when I purchased mine. Did get the bench, level 2 and anti spin at a local dealer so still happy.

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I’ve had my laramie sport for a year (well on the 28th) I’m still in awe with it. Only thing I wish I would’ve got was the advance safety group. I miss the ACC from my Jeep.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I’ve had my laramie sport for a year (well on the 28th) I’m still in awe with it. Only thing I wish I would’ve got was the advance safety group. I miss the ACC from my Jeep.
What all does the Advance Safety Group entail?

I feel like when I first started researching Rams, I was looking at Big Horns, but have now stepped up to Laramie with all the options I want...and I might be approaching Limiteds....

I might be revisiting the budget...

Ramjeep

Reaction score
What all does the Advance Safety Group entail?

I feel like when I first started researching Rams, I was looking at Big Horns, but have now stepped up to Laramie with all the options I want...and I might be approaching Limiteds....

I might be revisiting the budget...
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go
  • Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
  • Full Speed Forward Collision Warn Plus
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • Parallel and Perpendicular Park-Assist with Stop
  • Surround-View Camera (NAW Trailer-Tow Mirrors)
this is from RAM’s website . Even though I heard FCA’s ACC is not the smoothest in operation. I rem on my Jeep it would just surge when a car moved from in front of me. It was kinda unnatural but was good on long trips

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/