5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First truck since....... That time......

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
I'm a new guy in almost every context when it comes to truck ownership. I've only owned one pickup before, about 16 years ago. Since then it's been cars and the last 6-10 years has been mostly SUV's.

I bought a 1987 Toyota 4x4 with a turbo 4 cylinder in early March of 2002. It ran good and was in mostly OK shape other than some rust. At 11:45pm March 31st of 2002 I hit a lawnmower on the interstate.

I don't mean I sideswiped some county guy mowing at midnight. I mean, I was driving along and saw what I thought were 2 short red boxes laying, one in each lane, on the road. Thanks to the high quality fireflies they had trapped in the headlight bulbs of those old trucks, it wasn't till I was about 50' away, centered over the short red box in my lane so I'd just pass over it, that I saw the black engine, handle, and wheels of a push lawnmower. Not tumbled or damaged, and both in the same orientation, so I don't believe for a second that they fell off the back of a truck or trailer. So at 15 minutes till April fools day I hit a lawnmower at like 60mph (in a 75) on the interstate. It tore the front mount for the rear passenger leafspring off the frame as it rolled under and wedged itself under the truck. When I got stopped I called the police and they came out to take a report they had the look of guys who were having a hard time believing what they were seeing. When they went to go find the other mower, it was already gone. Whatever loser put them out there saw what happened, grabbed the other mower and took off.

So that was my 3 weeks of truck ownership. Since then I've had 4 cars and 2 SUV's, all used, and my wife's 3 Hondas, all bought new, all SUV's. I'm currently driving my wife's hand me down 2007 Element. To be honest, I love the damn thing. It's like driving a gnat around, being shorter than a 2007 Accord, yet is sooo darn functional. I'm hoping I may be able to keep it around for some daily driving and car camping, but may not be able to swing it with such a short steep driveway.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to go in and sign paperwork to get a new 2019 RAM on order.

-Limited
-Ramboxes
-Bed Utility Group
-5.7 Hemi
-3.92 anti-slip diff
-Limited Level 1 equipment group
-Protection Group
-Trailer Brake Control
-33 gallon tank
-Granite crystal
-Black interior

MSRP: $65,045
Negotiated price: $56,450+TTL (includes a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealership)

I'm looking to keep the 360 camera, so no tow package, and I doubt I'll do much off roading, so the LSD seems to have more value for me than the off-road package with the locking diff.

This will be used to haul the family around, pull a camper, carry tools/materials, feel pampered, etc.

I know I'm likely 2-3 months away from getting my truck, but I'm excited nonetheless. I've been trolling the forum reading for the last few weeks. I feel like I have a good handle on what to watch for. In fact I have the forum to thank for the Dennis Dillon contact in Idaho who's quote helped me get a quite good deal from the local dealership, who I'd like to support.

Last edited:
Welcome, sounds like the forum helped you quite a bit and glad to see you made informed decisions and seems like you ordered a truck that is going to suit you well.

Thanks for joining up, can not wait to hear you got your truck and see how it works for you.

Good luck

The info on the forums has definitely helped. I'm still nervous I'll end up with a lemon, but if research has taught me anything, it's that I shouldn't expect the kind of reliability I've had from my Hondas from any truck, and that every brand has an Achilles heel somewhere. The new RAM is just a way nicer place to be than any of the other brands offerings, and it's near the top in payload, which is the number that turns out to be stupid easy to overlook how small it is on some light duty trucks. Top tier Tundra has around 1200lbs of payload. Toyota should be ashamed. Even a RAM Limited only has around 1400-1500lbs of payload depending on options.

Let's just say my biggest reservation about a 1500 is that the redesigned HD trucks come out next year, and I'd never have to worry about exceeding payload numbers if I bought a 2500 or 3500 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back